Intro and Questions.

All things not relating to the other forums.
TahoePinz

Intro and Questions.

Post by TahoePinz »

Hi All,

Ever since I got a ride in a co-worker's 710 last year, I have been looking around for a Pinz to purchase.
Just talked to Justin (Gear) of San Marcos over the phone this morning about his 712M for sale.
He was real through and took his time to go over all he has done and answered all my questions.

I plan to keep the truck in Tahoe and use it both in summer and winter.
I think it would be lots of fun to go camping in the summer and offroad/rock crawling it when I get more skills.
And in the winter, would be a good alternative to our other AWD vehicle which some times have clearance problems in the heavy stuff.

Just a few questions.

- Seems like all the tires on Justin's 712M are studdable, although I think the Pinz came with chains from the factory.
Any one care to share their experience with chains, studs or just winter in the Pinz in general?
Might be too cold without a heater when the temps drops really low. But Tahoe is not too bad compared to CO or Utah.

- If I were to buy his 712 and tow it back. Would this UHual auto transporter be adequate.
http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Equip ... x?model=AT
I am kind of worried about coming down the grapevine with the steep hills.
I will be using a 2010 LX570 to tow and can manually shift to a lower gear on the hills.
Any advice or comments would be great.

- What's the insurance like on these things? I have Geico on my other cars and motorcycle if it makes a difference.

- What's the NorCal Pinz scene like? I know EI is in Vallejo and will most likely visit one day soon.
And I see NorCalPinz postings stuff, anyone else?
I am up for organizing some kind of Pinz get together in Tahoe next year if there is any interest.
We have a vacation place in Tahoe City just a few miles north of the Rubicon.

Cheers and looking happy to join the community.

Ben
2000 Triumph Daytona 955i
2003 Audi S8
2010 Lexus LX570
Pinzgauer 1st Gen (Looking to buy)
krick3tt

Re: Intro and Questions.

Post by krick3tt »

Ben,

There have been numerous posts on insurance, you need to research this one...it's in there.
Geico doesn't do it, so I'm told.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
TahoePinz

Post by TahoePinz »

Thanks krick3tt,

I am still catching up on the old postings.
Seems like Geico cancelled the policy on some guys and other guys were able to get it through them O.K.
It's just a hassle since we have 3 other vehicles insurance with them.
But if it doesn't work out, I will just transfer everything.

I will just carry liability and uninsured motorist.

Also thinking maybe a 710K might be better for the winter, since it's a 5 door and the hard top
is easier to put ski rack on, etc..
2000 Triumph Daytona 955i
2003 Audi S8
2010 Lexus LX570
Pinzgauer 1st Gen (Looking to buy)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Seems like all the tires on Justin's 712M are studdable, although I think the Pinz came with chains from the factory.
Once you drive on tires without studs, you can't really put studs in anymore - the holes fill up with road grit and the studs fall out. In CA studs are usually only legal November through April, so you would need a second set of tires. Frankly, once you learn how to install the Swiss chains (and it isn't too hard) there is practially no winter weather you can't get through, though most of the time you won't even need the chains. I don't shovel my drive, I just take a Pinz instead of a car.
If I were to buy his 712 and tow it back. Would this UHual auto transporter be adequate...I am kind of worried about coming down the grapevine with the steep hills. I will be using a 2010 LX570 to tow and can manually shift to a lower gear on the hills.
Your Lexus would be right at the towing limit; you probably need a load equalizing hitch, electric brakes, etc. I'd be more worried about traffic, you can always descend hills slowly. Instead of towing, I'd drive it!

Insurance varies with companies, your past history, etc. But I've not had a problem with State Farm in two states and have full coverage for about $5-600 per year.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Gear
United States of America

Post by Gear »

TahoePinz wrote: Just a few questions.

- If I were to buy his 712 and tow it back. Would this UHual auto transporter be adequate.
http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Equip ... x?model=AT
I am kind of worried about coming down the grapevine with the steep hills.
I will be using a 2010 LX570 to tow and can manually shift to a lower gear on the hills.
Any advice or comments would be great.

- What's the insurance like on these things?

Ben
Hello Ben,
It was good talking to you on the phone today. As far as towing it home. Here is a picture of the U-haul trailer that I used. If you are really concerned about the Grapevine you could always pull the Pinzgauer off the trailer and just drive it down by itself. With Insurance I am paying around $200 a year for full coverage. Oh and as far as the ski's go, the 712m has a 10' bed put them in the back. :wink:

Justin Pitcairn

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon w/
Ursa Minor J30 Camper
Instagram @pitcairnoverland
TahoePinz

Post by TahoePinz »

@Jimm391730
Thanks for the info on the tire studs. We have always kept two sets of rims and tires for our cars, the winter set usually being Hakkapeliitta Rs
and the other set gets high performance summer tires. Never believed in the All Terrain stuff.
But since the Pinz will be kept in up in Tahoe full time, I was thinking I wouldn't have to do that.
I guess I'll either chain up or see if my old set of barley used Spike Spikers can fit.
I have seen too many 4x4 and AWDs spun out and in the ditch to know better, especially after the winter we had last year.

@Gear
Justin, I found out from UHual's website the max wheelbase for the transporter is 133 inches. And the 712 is just under 120,
so that should be fine. (2000mm + 980mm (78.7" + 38.6") » 712M 6x6) btw, how is the 78.7 + 38.6 breakdown measured?

Driving the Pinz down the grapevine would be good. I would have to hitch a ride back up since the wife
would not touch the LX, especially with the trailer and our 3 old son in the car.

I was originally thinking to save some time since we are down in L.A. for a friends wedding this coming weekend.
But maybe it's a better idea to fly down in a couple of weeks and just drive it up myself.
I'll bring a fully charged iPod and ear plugs.
ElectraPinz

Post by ElectraPinz »

Driving works.

I bought my Pinz in Jackson Hole - took a one-way bus ride from Phoenix, spent most of the day looking for new tires (unsuccessful) and then drove overnight with bad tires and all to Durango, CO. Total ride was about 650 miles. With the badly dished tires, normal Pinz noise and canvas top flapping in the night air, I had NO trouble staying awake. :shock:

Jimm is spot on about driving in snow. The OEM chains work well and are easy to put on, but I don't even think about them unless the snow gets over a foot deep or I have some heavy pulling to do.

If you wear the right cloths, the cold in the cab isn't that big a problem. The heater/windshield defrost does put out a little heat. But for just driving around the cabin or hauling the grandkids (or just me) to the slopes, who needs heat in winter. I'd save the long trips for summer.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

If you wrap the cloth pipes coming from the heat exchanger to the cab with insulation (like the type used for water pipes) you will notice about
50% more heat in the cab. Also put the black out curtain down to keep the heat in the cab and the vehicle heater works real well after the
thing gets up to operating temp. I really only use the Webasto to get the cab warm then turn it off and use the vehicle heat in winter in CO.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Depending on the tires you may need to add links to the stock chains.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I had 255/75R16's and had to add 4 links to make them fit.
matthewc66

Post by matthewc66 »

I drove in Justin's truck last week and it seems to run really well.

One thing to consider: I tried to rent the same U Haul trailer and they said nothing with tires over 31 inches..

I ended up lying and telling them I was hauling a Mercedes Clk...

Not sure if that rule is still in effect.

Also, their tie downs which hold the tires down were too small for my tires. Luckily I had straps.

I pay about $200 in insurance. If you cannot find anyone to insure you call Hagerty, they will insure everything including my tank but you need to be honest about the number of miles you drive. If you drive a ton of miles they might not be the best choice for you..

Matt
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Hagerty was many times more than what I pay through Farmers.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hagerty is a collector's insurance and rates are based on value and the number of miles driven each year. The more miles driven, the rates jump dramaticially. My policy will typically see a change once or twice a year. This last year, I changed the miles driven down to more like what I actually drive ( and still more than I do) and the policy for the Pinz 716, Haflinger and LR Vampire dropped below $400 annually ( and a combined valuation of over $70K ).
If you are going to use the Pinz as a daily driver, insure it that way. If you modify it heavily for camping or offroading, don't use a collector's insurance... When you apply, you must submit pics of your vehicle(s) and they can use any of that info to disallow a claim, or void your policy. They do keep all the pics you submit for coverage, and even the ones of past vehicles ....I have very entertaining conversations when I call for a change on my policy... even for the ones that they can't figure a way to insure :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Skipper102

Post by Skipper102 »

Hi this is my first attempt to post on the site. I just got my first pinz the other day a 718 TD. This is a new world for me we have collected other military trucks in the past. I need to find a winshield, doors, rear roll bar and the related canvas items for the truck. I have all the manuals on the way from Austria. Any help or suggestions would be app.

Skipper102

The old man on steel solders
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Welcome aboard Skipper. What year truck did you get? Where'd ya get it? Etc...

We're all curious about these diesel versions.