Oh, the ignomy!

All things not relating to the other forums.
spandit

Oh, the ignomy!

Post by spandit »

Was playing in a friend's wood this weekend and when the time came to leave, the owner turned up. He'd lent us a Mitsubishi thing to jump start the Pinzgauer which is still being a PITA. It was a V6 petrol and smooth as butter. He mentioned that it was great for towing things but there were probably better 4x4's out there. I gestured to the Pinzgauer and said "Yes, that thing is pretty much unstoppable when the engine works!"

He left and I tried to follow but despite having all the levers down, I couldn't get traction on the wet grass and just sunk into the mud. Eventually I had to call him back for a tow (which was unsuccessful - I eventually got out by unhitching the trailer, reversing and going a different way - tore up his pasture good!)

So, not very unstoppable after all... :(
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
cruzoropeza

Re: Oh, the ignomy!

Post by cruzoropeza »

spandit wrote:Was playing in a friend's wood this weekend and when the time came to leave, the owner turned up. He'd lent us a Mitsubishi thing to jump start the Pinzgauer which is still being a PITA. It was a V6 petrol and smooth as butter. He mentioned that it was great for towing things but there were probably better 4x4's out there. I gestured to the Pinzgauer and said "Yes, that thing is pretty much unstoppable when the engine works!"

He left and I tried to follow but despite having all the levers down, I couldn't get traction on the wet grass and just sunk into the mud. Eventually I had to call him back for a tow (which was unsuccessful - I eventually got out by unhitching the trailer, reversing and going a different way - tore up his pasture good!)

So, not very unstoppable after all... :(

I think the problem is that u had your lockers on, that can get u in trouble some times digging u in deaper!
spandit

Post by spandit »

Interesting - I suppose a non- spinning wheel wouldn't dig in so much
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

It may be the old story of the unintentional demo that I saw some years ago, the stars were a guy in a really tricked up Landrover Defender, lights and bling/huge winch, mahoosive tyres, trying to get up a grass covered hill. the guy in the defender revved and spun and charged at the hill, several times,never making it more than halfway, then gave up in disgust. Later a really old guy rolled up in a 1950,s Series one diesel and stopped at the bottom, engaged 1st Low and just rolled up to the top of the hill on little over tickover! moral is you need to keep traction and forward motion, once motion stops, you must stop what you are doing and try something else or you will just dig in, then you have a ridge to climb over before you can resume forward motion. (I went out in the UAZ in the snow yesterday (really impressed by what is really just 1960,s tech) I must get the Pinz out today sometime and take her for a run, have to go down the hill to the village to collect mail)
Aiming to introduce UK Politicians to Piano wire and Lamposts!