buying a Pinz

All things not relating to the other forums.
CentAr712
United States of America

Re: buying a Pinz

Post by CentAr712 »

My windshield specifically says "Laminated".
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

I just realized...it says protexit on the side windows. I guess the side glass is tempered glass on all trucks? I know the windshield says it's laminated.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

This is my thread on autoglass in the US.
http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... =17&t=5314

I will eventually add "identifiers" for type of glass..other than the label.

Most all of the original tempered pieces in the Pinzes and Haffies will have tong marks (pinches) where the glass was hung in the oven during tempering and dug into the glass. NO laminated in a car will have them ever. Newer glass (and what I sell) are tempered horizonally on a bed of air and don't have any marks. If there isn't a legible label in a corner of the glass, the only way to be positive you have laminated is by peeling back the gasket and visually see the edges of the two pieces of glass, older laminated will go bad along the edge and a yellow/brown color will appear between the glass, and when it breaks, there are cracks... tempered disintegrates
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I remember looking hard for the Exec II upgrade and not finding one, then "settling" for a non-upgraded model that was nearby. I haven't had any problems. Maybe its a ticking timebomb, but I'm not sure its the deal breaker I once thought.
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I will eventually add "identifiers" for type of glass..other than the label.
Isn't that what your forklift is for? Stabbing the glass to see how it breaks? That usually identifies they type of glass, right? :lol: "OK, everyone line up at Dave's for a glass test!"
I remember looking hard for the Exec II upgrade and not finding one, then "settling" for a non-upgraded model that was nearby. I haven't had any problems. Maybe its a ticking timebomb, but I'm not sure its the deal breaker I once thought.
I believe my 712W has execution I, and I've put well over 50,000 miles on it over 11 years (plus the 33k miles that it already had) with almost 8,000 lbs to haul around... no problems yet... cross your fingers!
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

there are 2 for sale in the classified section. one above and one below your budget.

Don't get too hung up on options and upgrades. As you own it you'll discover what is important to you and work it on it then. you should be able to find a nice clean rust free truck within your budget.

have fun