Picking up our Tgb11, what should we bring?

All things not relating to the other forums.
Q

Re: Picking up our Tgb11, what should we bring?

Post by Q »

sixbennetts wrote:Czarthirteen and Stekay, thanks to both of you for your offer of help. I programmed your numbers into my phone.

Anybody here near Newark?
I am relatively close to Newark- PM sent.
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

David Dunn wrote:...... You also have safety inspections., which I know the Volvo will not pass without state mandated items......
I'd like to be prepared for this. Can anybody clarify exactly what a Tgb11 needs to have done to it to make it pass inspection?
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Those will be state-specific, since I assume your Volvo is over 25 years old and therefore exempted from FMVSS (federal) equipment requirements. You might try pm'ing Dave, as he posted the comment in the first place, and see what info he could offer you about it. Finding a Volvo owner in your state would be the best source of info, IMHO.

Otherwise, perhaps try local importers there for possible help. Lastly, you may need to simply read the state laws and do your best to interpret whether your truck complies or not. It may be up to you to defend yourself if a cop differs with your (or others') interpretation.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

...... You also have safety inspections., which I know the Volvo will not pass without state mandated items......

I'd like to be prepared for this. Can anybody clarify exactly what a Tgb11 needs to have done to it to make it pass inspection?
Here's what I found for NY: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/c-50.htm

The only thing that jumped out at me was seatbelts for all seating positions; you may need to install seatbelts for the rear. Otherwise it's mostly just common sense stuff: brakes work, don't leak or pull, lights work, decent tires, suspension decent, etc.

Best of luck,

Jim M.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

No, seat belts aren't a problem, we have them for all 7 seats, (or at least we did when they put it on the boat).

How bout it, any Volvo owners in New York state?
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Well, change of plans again! I decided, partly because of the good advice here, and partly because the new engine isn't even broken in yet, to have it hauled up here.

Found a reputable guy on Uship. We're meeting at the port on Thursday, and I'll follow him to our house.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

sixbennetts wrote:Well, change of plans again! I decided, partly because of the good advice here, and partly because the new engine isn't even broken in yet, to have it hauled up here.

Found a reputable guy on Uship. We're meeting at the port on Thursday, and I'll follow him to our house.
Smart move!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Money well spent
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

Good luck I bet the anticipation is killing you! Get there early so you can square away thing before lunch as the whole dock literally shuts down due to union rules for lunch.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Well, yet ANOTHER change of plans! Due to another round of chemo and radiation starting today, I can't go. The driver who's transporting the truck has to get it out of port. He picks it up Friday and delivers it Saturday.

Needless to say, my plans for the weekend are solid!
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Hope the chemo leaves u with energy to thoroughly enjoy your new toy. I'm happy for u that u have something amazing to look forward to. Congrats :D
1972 710m
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

IT'S HERE!

Because of a few delays with other vehicles that the driver had to pick up in NYC, he didn't leave there until 7 last night. It's 5½ hours to Plattsburgh if you haul a$$, which he did.

So we decided to spare the neighbors the sounds of ramps dropping and chains rattling and unloaded at the high school parking lot across the street.

It is beautiful in an ugly, utilitarian kinda way. Like a Swiss army knife. Or an old outboard motor. It smells like old gas, grease and and dirt, just like it should. When you turn the key and push the start button, it starts immediately. I mean like on the very 1st rotation of the starter. Going through the gears is smooth as silk. I've driven many many old trucks, some with extended linkages like this, and I'm amazed at how tight and precise the shifting is, yet easy too. Perfect.

We live in town. I've been outside puttering on it all day. 7 people so far have stopped and asked about it. 3 wanted to buy it.

Terrangbil, the social machine.

;)
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

Any photos to share?
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

Congrats! :)
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

texas pinzgauer wrote:Any photos to share?
Just a couple quickies.

The view from the dining room has improved dramatically!

And also from the kitchen.