Picking up our Tgb11, what should we bring?

All things not relating to the other forums.
sixbennetts

Picking up our Tgb11, what should we bring?

Post by sixbennetts »

We pick up our Tgb11 at Newark on August 7th. What kind of stuff should we bring?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Re: Picking up our Tgb11, what should we bring?

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Current registration/paperwork and a flat bed trailer to put it on. Get it home, carefully check out the vehicle and prep for state side registration/safety inspections/insurance.
After that it is time to have fun :shock:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Hey Jim! How ya been?

Sorry I should have specified, we have to drive it home.
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Yikes! Unless you have valid plates and insurance, I'd bring a bit of luck....it doesn't really blend in!!! I'm from Canada, but I learned the hard way a couple of weeks ago that the NY State Troopers aren't very forgiving..... :cry:
1972 710m
czarthirteen

Post by czarthirteen »

Hmmmm, Newark to Plattsburg via a newly imported, unproven of its road worthiness, vintage European military vehicle.......not the most responsible way to pick it up.

I'm on the same page as Jim. I'm an over-zealous person by nature, and I would still consider not only my own safety but also that of those other motorists on the road. Take the advice, rent a truck and trailer if you need to or hire an IO to transport it.

Safety first.
Pinzgauer 712AMB
VW Passat GLX 4motion wagon
Triumph Sprint ST Executive
1986 VW Golf Diesel (AAZ diesel motor, Quattro drivetrain)
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

No budget for transport, I'm afraid. No choice but to drive it home. I'll have the registration by the time we go get it, and it's insured. We're driving down in the Durango and following it home.

I just need to know what things I should bring.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I do not know NY's laws, but most states will not issue a registration without a VIN verfication. You also have safety inspections., which I know the Volvo will not pass without state mandated items. If NY will issue a trip permit ( if they have them), will it be honored by NJ ( if you're stopped)?. If you have any problems along the way, you're dead in the water.. and if you try to limp home, you could cause a lot more damage than what a trailer would cost.
IMO, you're taking a big chance on a freshly imported vehicle and investment... Do you have a backup plan, if trouble arises?
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
czarthirteen

Post by czarthirteen »

Dude, if you've already blown your wad on the truck where you can't afford the vehicle transportation costs from Newark to Platts....like $400-$700.....you just blew your wad on the wrong truck! Don't mean to be harsh, but time for a wake up call.....its not a '98 Tacoma of something.
Pinzgauer 712AMB
VW Passat GLX 4motion wagon
Triumph Sprint ST Executive
1986 VW Golf Diesel (AAZ diesel motor, Quattro drivetrain)
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Czar, we don't have a lot of time to do what we want to do with this truck, (don't forget, I only have a couple years left *maybe*). Plus, we got it for a song and with cheap shipping to boot it was hard to pass up. Plus, it's got a brand new motor.

All in, we're at $13K, (that's truck AND shipping), so we really couldn't pass it up.

Backup plans are a tow strap, a big box of tools, AAA, and three strong guys who know how to fix trucks.

I don't know why I asked, we don't have much of a choice anyway. I know what the right way is. If I had the money, it'd be delivered to our front door with a big red bow on top.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I won't admit to ever doing this, but one emergency way to get a truck home:

Take the tag off your other car, put it on the truck, have a friend follow close behind you, drive till you get home. Wear ear plugs and if it rains, be careful, those tires suck.

Of course you need to grease up a ton of zerks and do the rest of that stuff above, first. Making sure the brakes work well is priority one. Making sure all the lights work is second.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

A uhaul car trailer is approximately 75 bucks and can be towed by the durango as long as it was equipped with a hitch your volvo should fit right on it and you are good to go no worries about the authorities and everything legal. Take some time to think this through...you could save yourself thousands if something goes wrong...
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Vince , it's all registered and insured so we won't have to do the old license plate two-step, but I HAVE done that very same thing myself! Durango has no hitch so the U-Haul car hauler is out, but I already looked into those and the Tgb11 is just a bit too wide to fit on them anyway.

I'm not really worried much about the ability of this truck and it's mechanical soundness. Joacim Halling and I have become pretty close friends over the past few months, and I trust him. His mechanic, Goran, is a mechanic at the local Swedish army base. He works on Tgb's during the day, and for Joacim at Coatex AB at night. Between the two of them, they have gone through it with a fine tooth comb.
I bought a temperature gun to check the hubs, diffs, tranny, transfer case, and the
All fluids were changed for fresh, carbs rebuilt, new clutch installed, and any faulty bulbs replaced recently.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Lots of chatter here about this thing. What does it look like? For those of us that aren't all that familiar
with every military vehicle under the sun, a pic might be a good thing, something to admire, maybe?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

sixbennetts wrote: I bought a temperature gun to check the hubs, diffs, tranny, transfer case
Not meaning to hijack your thread... much, but what a clever idea I had not thought of for coming home trip or any long trip (and one sits in garage tool box, and I'd not thought of packing it).

I'd be interested to know if anyone's ever headed off a problem using one like this.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

krick3tt wrote:Lots of chatter here about this thing. What does it look like? For those of us that aren't all that familiar
with every military vehicle under the sun, a pic might be a good thing, something to admire, maybe?
A couple pics in this thread : http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... f=9&t=6825

Here's a few recent pics :

And a YouTube video showing that everything is working :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqoaMUs ... ata_player

About the temp gun, overheating in any mechanical housing is an excellent way to catch problems before they arise. It can also be used to compare cylinder temps. By stopping frequently, *maybe* we can catch a problem before it gets too bad.