considering conversion of c303 to electric...

All things not relating to the other forums.
MadMax

considering conversion of c303 to electric...

Post by MadMax »

...and hoping that this wouldn't cause the lot of you to storm my house with pitchforks and torches.

I've been going over all the reasons why this would/wouldnt work, and the list is leaning heavily towards the possible, but then I have never owned a c303 or an electric, though I am technically capable of doing the conversion. Im wondering if any of you have considered this or heard of it being done with a pinz or a volvo. I have seen it done to some older Land Rovers.

Right now the volvo i would be working with has has the original b30 replaced with a 164 engine thats got about 15KM on it. The price of batteries has gone down a good bit lately, and the technology behind some of them, like the new lithium polymer, has gotten a lot better. The charges last longer, self discharge/cycle life is better and weight is down. Im wondering if a single motor with the ability to also engage the rear axle or a dual motor system would be better. With the complexity of a single motor system, the price would end up being similar to a dual motor system. Not sure which would be more complicated to design and implement, though. Certainly there are complexities for both methods, but in the end I find myself more and more interested in doing this. I dont plan on driving this thing any great distances, mostly local, so its even more attractive.

I know the general consensus here is that doing something like this destroys a perfectly good vehicle, like the "jackasses" that take a Sugga and put a chevy small block in them, but I'm really interested in doing this for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with wanting to hoon this thing or see how much mud I can kick up to show my redneck buddies how cool I am. Im thinking about the limited viability of combustion engines, particularly in light of a possible societal collapse, and doing something with alternate energy - while also learning about electric conversion, which I have a huge interest in.

From the basic research I have done thus far, it seems like the c303 and the way it was designed to operate make it ideal for a conversion and that doing so would allow it to still retain its awesome capability as an offroad vehicle. Add in solar recharging capability and you have an almost unlimited expedition vehicle. Could fill my jerry cans with water instead of gas. :)

I would love to have your opinions on this.

PS - I am not planning on doing this in the immediate future, just tossing some ideas around and respect the experience and knowledge of the members here who have been a great help in my initial research and decision to buy one of these awesome vehicles to begin with. This place rocks.
Where science and technology fail, art survives.
krick3tt

Re: considering conversion of c303 to electric...

Post by krick3tt »

Although lately the weather up there has been great, having lived in WA (Suquamish) I question the solar recharging capabilities.
Especially in the woods...lots of shade under those trees.
You mention using it locally yet exclaim the vehicle would be great for expeditions, thinking this means long distances. Which makes
me think that replacement items may be difficult to obtain far from home.
I think experimentation is a wonderful thing...after all, where would we be without the exciting things that have come someone saying,
'Why not?'
I say go for it if you have the ability and the bucks.

Happy trails
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

These trucks are somewhat rare, can't you consider a candidate for this project that's a common vehicle like a Ford or Chevy pickup? It sounds to me that you are really more interested in the novelty of the idea as far as a reason to chop up a rare truck. Ultimately, I find it completely unlikely that you will be able to charge the batteries on an electric vehicle in any reasonable amount of time using solar cells, not to mention the problems involved in having an electric off-road vehicle. If you run out of gas in the woods you can gas up with a jerry-can, if you lose your charge it's a much bigger problem. I don't see anything practical about an electric off-road vehicle unless you never take it off-road and in that case, what's the point?
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

CentAr712 wrote:These trucks are somewhat rare, can't you consider a candidate for this project that's a common vehicle like a Ford or Chevy pickup? It sounds to me that you are really more interested in the novelty of the idea as far as a reason to chop up a rare truck. Ultimately, I find it completely unlikely that you will be able to charge the batteries on an electric vehicle in any reasonable amount of time using solar cells, not to mention the problems involved in having an electric off-road vehicle. If you run out of gas in the woods you can gas up with a jerry-can, if you lose your charge it's a much bigger problem. I don't see anything practical about an electric off-road vehicle unless you never take it off-road and in that case, what's the point?
Well said!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

This was also discussed here previously. Here's the link: http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... conversion
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

I believe your reasoning to be flawed.

Villagers gather the pitchforks and torches we have a job to do… :twisted:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

I don't see any reason you could not do this, I have considered it myself. The motor is no problem, an adaptor can be made and it's not like the original motors produced high horsepower. The problem is the cost of batteries, standard car batteries are to heavy and bulky and Lithium Ion is too expensive.

As far as solar recharging, my 100w solar panel will charge 1 car battery in 2 days with Nevada Sun. With today’s technology you could mount 3 x 220 watt panels for 660w total that’s about all you'll fit up on top.

If you do this keep us informed on the progress and what to do and not to do.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

edzz wrote:.... Villagers gather the pitchforks and torches we have a job to do… :twisted:
THANK GOODNESS! :D at least they'll be out of my front yard! ..
I was running low on boiling oil to drop from the parapet :mrgreen:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

David Dunn wrote:
I was running low on boiling oil to drop from the parapet :mrgreen:

I got plenty David....I store it in the school bus I got buried in my back yard.... :mrgreen:
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Contact Haf-e on this site, Christopher can help you with this. Plus he lives in Mt Vernon WA. He is our solar guru.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Plus there will be no sun in the post apocalyptic world so then what you gunna do!!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

Don't take this the wrong way (any of you) but I'd think a Pinzgauer would be the better suited vehicle to convert to electric. Smaller, lighter IIRC, and an even lower horsepower engine, and there's lots of em around. :D
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Any large truck is the most easily converted to electric -- room for batteries, payload capacity, engine space. But for the purpose of a "self contained" vehicle (solar on the roof or solar/wind in your yard for recharging) a big, heavy vehicle is the wrong choice. The smaller, lighter, and more streamlined you can get the farther you can go; the less you will have invested in batteries and power sources, etc. I too have seen electric Landies (there was one in the Seattle area back in the 90s, perhaps it's still there) and while it was off road capable it didn't have much range as I recall. You would be better seved by the smallest SUV you could get.

While the Volvo would be easy, just don't do it. There used to be a group called SEVA (Seattle Electric Vehicle Association) that would have good inputs for you, too.

Most electric vehicles today (streamlined and all) use 250-350 watt hours of power for every mile. Expect double or worse for an electric Pinz, Volvo, etc. due to the rolling and wind resistance. Its like half the fuel economy. So add up all the solar panel wattages you expect to have, divide by 1000 (to allow for losses in the conversion to battery energy), guess at how many hours of "bright" sun is availabe (2-3 hours per day in your area, mostly) and then you can figure out how many miles you can go each week. Wouldn't you rather have something efficient after the end of the world? :shock:
Jim M.
712W and 710M