Happy new owner, just got home with my Volvo c303!

All things not relating to the other forums.
MadMax

Happy new owner, just got home with my Volvo c303!

Post by MadMax »

Well, I finally got the Volvo and she made it home from Vancouver to Gig Harbor (203 miles) without a hitch! She rattles, she leaks, she squeeks and she needs some serious TLC, but I am in love love love. Mechanically she is extremely sound and looks like shes been gone over and well tended to, though the body needs to be blasted down to the metal at some point soon and all the bondo and rust dealt with, though I have the compressor and shop, welding tools to do it. She has a new home, and I couldnt be happier with my decision to get it. There is no end to the people who stare, point, stop and want to know what the hell it is, etc. I love this thing!

I know I made the right choice when this is the reaction of the former owner, Dave. Great guy and gave me a great price. He included a set of older doors and glass, extra doghouse and a shovel and pick up top.

Getting across the border was made much easier by doing my homework and having the EPA and DOT forms filled out ahead of time; after about 20 minutes, we got through without having to pay a dime! All the border cops wanted to know what the hell it was. lol

The first thing I need to do is deal with the leaks around the front windows and from the swamp cooler on the roof. Next I will be replacing the seats with corbeau baja XRS suspension seats. I also intend on doing the 123 ignition system and a change over to power steering. The mechanical fan squeeks badly, but it just needs a tension adjustment. Not sure if I want to switch to an electric dual fan and new radiator or not yet. Interior needs a major cleaning and then I will slowly redo the interior in back to convert to full camper mode.

The cab is decked out like the space shuttle, with a serious array of switches and buttons added by the owner to control the various lights outside for the top, front, sides. It has a remote controlled spotlight up top controlled by a joystick in the center console. There is a backup cam which needs to be replaced (the screen is shot). The stereo deck needs to be replaced, the 10" LCD screen works and will switch from DVD player to the PC he had in it (which I will replace with my own. A keyboard goes in the glove box, all the wiring is run off the inverter.

There are 3 batteries, 2 are auxilliary to run all the various stuff, and there is a cutoff switch for the main battery so when you are camping you dont drain it via the assorted electronics, fridge, swamp cooler, etc. There is a setup for solar panels which is wired into the inverter and diverts to the batteries to charge them, though the panels are gone.

My girlfriend actually bought this for me as a gift, I think shes a keeper! Though I am concerned that I just entered into some sort of indentured servitude. :)

I will be posting lots more pics on my blog as I begin the journey of redoing this amazing vehicle. I want to thank all of you guys here for real4x4, you and it were instrumental in my choice to get this instead of some boring-ass jeep wrangler. It is perfect! Rock on!

-MadMax
Where science and technology fail, art survives.
Pinzgauer Pete

Re: Happy new owner, just got home with my Volvo c303!

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

You need to do nothing to this vehicle but drive it....it looks perfect...the paint...and amenities are everything anyone could hope for...how nice...and as for your girlfriend....you need to worship her!!!!!! :mrgreen:
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
mm58
United States of America

Post by mm58 »

What a great lookin' rig! Love the way the cockpit is set up...
Mike

'76 710K
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

So you ended up with this one! There was a post with a link to this truck's listing earlier on this forum.
Congratulations on your purchase!!
This truck has so many modifications and gadgets that make me think "that's what I need to do/should have done"... :wink:
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

We should meet up at the Tides some Saturday night and compare rigs!
1972 710K
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Let me know when, and I'll join you with the 712!
Ed
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Excellent idea, we could take over that pretty new parking lot of theirs! My schedule is completely flexible, so you guys pick a date and time, though a Friday or Saturday night would be the most fun there. It would also be the most difficult time to park them all together unless we went earlier in the day, so maybe a Sat. afternoon?
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Count me in
If my Hafy motor was not being rebuilt I could drive it to the Tides and we could have one of everything. But I will be like Ed and drive my 712.

Ed-you still need your seat pan welded? you could stop by on the way over.

Shawn
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

you guys are starting to get enough people in WA to start a little club. Should contact Steve in Vancouver with his 710 if something happens.
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

Haha. I'll be there soon - we're planning on moving to the Duvall area in a year or two. Driving the C304 from Denver to there should be an adventure. :D
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I wondered about how easy it was to bring this across the border. I understand now: simple and free border crossing with new truck; They let me in without paying a dime.

Go to get new tags and register it, however, oh that will be 1400$. FU very much, sneaky state license bureau.

I would have preferred a 4% tariff at the border like I was expecting over 8.8% sales tax. In hindsight, I should have documented the bill of sale a lot lower than what I actually paid for it. Word to the wise.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

You are also paying by the pound in WA.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Morris,
Remember, here in WA state, it's more like a pound of flesh!
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

Hey Max, I saw your post over on Zombie Hunters!

Maybe plan for next weekend? Saturday the 3rd?
1972 710K
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Congrats!
MadMax wrote:I should have documented the bill of sale a lot lower than what I actually paid for it. Word to the wise.

You didn't do that?? I thought that was standard practice when buying a used car! 8)
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol