Manifold Cooking

All things not relating to the other forums.
Bruce Berger

Manifold Cooking

Post by Bruce Berger »

I just saw this on Expedition Portal. I wonder if it will fit on a Pinzgauer?

http://www.expeditionportal.com/equipme ... er-iv.html

Along these lines, I always thought the OEM muffler should have included a small oven box for on trail cooking. It's certainly big enough for one :D
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
mit Beck-LaGuardia Elektronischer Einspritzung
Dreadnought

Re: Manifold Cooking

Post by Dreadnought »

Old hat...used to be a trucking accessory, it was a little box...you put your pie/scrambled egg, etc etc into the box, clipped it to the exhaust in a convenient/hot place......drive for a few miles and voila hot meal!!!!! easy enough to make one in alloy or stainless.....no doubt you could cook a chicken if yr box was big enough/gets hot enough/close enough to the manifold.
Aiming to introduce UK Politicians to Piano wire and Lamposts!
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I remember my Dad telling me about manifold cooking. ...and how he put a can of beans there but forgot to poke a hole in it.
Made one great mess when it exploded and the explosion was one loud noise to remember.

Thanks for the ride down memory lane. :D
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Bruce Berger

Post by Bruce Berger »

I remember my father occasionally putting lunch items on the car engine to heat up when I was a kid. He had stories of heating meals that way during WWII. One summer we drove a newly restored '52 Hudson Hornet across country. Being frugal as he was, most of our meals on long driving days were from cans of soup or other items held to the engine with bailing wire. We didn't have any explosions but were always careful to place canned items on cooler areas where there was less risk of exploding.

The manifold oven brought back memories of that trip.

it also looks like a good way to reheat your tactical bacon while fleeing the zombie apocalypse.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/c399/ :mrgreen:

This probably isn't recommended when back country camping unless you're chumming for bears.

:D
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
mit Beck-LaGuardia Elektronischer Einspritzung
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

Okay, so did anyone here give this a go, specifically with the Pinz. I've long been aware of the concept, but still haven't gotten around to experimenting. If you have, I'd like to know where you placed the food, what you cooked and how it turned out. Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]
RPinAZ
United States of America

Post by RPinAZ »

In Phoenix in the summer, I could leave it on the back seat.

-RP