Winch ideas: Come-A-Long

All things not relating to the other forums.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Winch ideas: Come-A-Long

Post by TechMOGogy »

So I have used my fair share of winches (Warn electric, Werner PTO, hydraulic etc) and I always read and debate about things like which one is best, mounting (front, back, both, detachable), how to wire it, best batteries, how to mount in bumper, what rating etc etc.
Like most, I don't need/use a winch each time I go wheeling as I don't always get stuck, it is one of those items that you never need until you need it and without it your screwed!
This got me thinking...what would appeal the most to me would be something that is transferable to various vehicles regardless of their voltage (12 or 24) and vehicle weight, lightweight, easy to store, could be used to help others that are stuck, and could be used as a hoist.

So here is what I am in the process of ordering:
It does not change the appearance of a vehicle (that can be good or bad as winches do look cool), needs no new/modified mount, can be used front, back, side, hoist, and everything else on my wish list plus it is field serviceable.
http://www.wyeth-scott.com/models.asp
Model 3-35-A-SLT a 3 ton (6,000lbs) hoist and has a 12,000lbs double line drag rating with Amsteel 5/16" synth line.
It is only 24lbs and while it only has 35ft of line an extra 100 ft of 5/16 Amsteel is fairly inexpensive, light weight and really simple to store (will probably end up ordering 2 50ft lengths with finished thimble ends).
Way I see it is this will work on a Haflinger, Pinz and pretty much any other vehicle other than a big Mog
The only real cons I can think of are that it is slow, only would go about 15ft and is a manual but considering how often I will use it I don't care and could prob use the workout.
While these are not cheap they seem very solid and built by 4 people in Newark, Ohio - I like that and it is worth extra $ to me!

Anyhow, interested to hear any thoughts/comments before I commit
Dan
Attachments
3-4-2013 10-28-57 AM.jpg
3-4-2013 10-28-57 AM.jpg (20.91 KiB) Viewed 4279 times
3-4-2013 10-24-54 AM.jpg
3-4-2013 10-24-54 AM.jpg (27.74 KiB) Viewed 4279 times
Last edited by TechMOGogy on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
krick3tt

Re: Winch ideas: Come-A-Long

Post by krick3tt »

Only time I have used a come-along is to straighten a sagging garage. Takes a lot of cranking to get much movement.. ..so you might need two and alternate them.
When you let off the ratchet there is a lot of back travel.
Traveling with someone and using your tow cable might work better. Definitely use a tree strap as you're going to be there a long time.
But you are correct, it will go with any vehicle and the lighter the better.

Happy trails
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Personally, I think they are almost useless. If you really need a winch, you need a bolted on, front-mounted winch rated at 8500+lbs.

Those things are like carrying a baseball bat to a war. I guess you could try to beat someone with it, and it'd be better than nothing at all, but I'd rather go out there with a mini-gun. 8)
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

I've been considering getting that exact hand-winch, but more for pulling my Pinz out from the rear than as a primary winch. I always say that something is better than nothing and it's better than no winch at all. I'm confident that with enough time and hard work, you could get unstuck with that, but I would rather have it in addition to a standard electric winch.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
bonefish635
Great Britain

Post by bonefish635 »

Having used hand winches for all manner of things, from cave exploration to tree felling, those ratchet ones suck (by that I mean ratchet ones in general, not specifically the ones from that company).

Two big problems- lack of range, and lack of controllability in both directions.

I think the hand powered winch has its uses in a truck, but the Tirfor style cable winch is a far better tool. You can winch in or out under load and if you can carry it, you can have a wire rope a hundred yards long. It also feed through as fast as you can haul it when in open mode, so you don't have to inch your way up a cable to get it to where the work starts.

I have a case with a full winch kit in it, sitting in the back.
Attachments
trifor tractel winches.jpg
trifor tractel winches.jpg (4.37 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
1973 710K
2001 Landcruiser Amazon
2007 Range Rover Vogue (sold)
2001 Nissan Patrol GR 3.0TD (sold)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

bonefish635 wrote:Having used hand winches for all manner of things, from cave exploration to tree felling, those ratchet ones suck (by that I mean ratchet ones in general, not specifically the ones from that company).

Two big problems- lack of range, and lack of controllability in both directions.

I think the hand powered winch has its uses in a truck, but the Tirfor style cable winch is a far better tool. You can winch in or out under load and if you can carry it, you can have a wire rope a hundred yards long. It also feed through as fast as you can haul it when in open mode, so you don't have to inch your way up a cable to get it to where the work starts.

I have a case with a full winch kit in it, sitting in the back.
Yeah I have researched the Tirfor but I think they only work with steel cable and I was trying to avoid it as it is harder to store, heavier, does not float etc
I like the way the Tirfor work!
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I use a Tirfor style (grip hoist) and have for years. with an abundance of offroad vehicles I did not want to buy a dozen winches. The grip hoist can be located at a convenient spot to set the pinz back on its wheels when needed without the use of multiple snatch blocks. It is slower than an electrical winch when pulling from the front of the vehicle and assuming you still have electrical power during your recovery. Each style is going to have its advantages and disadvantages. The grip hoist tend to be heavy but I would not trade mine for any electrical winch that is mounted to a given point on a vehicle.
I recall a Treffen in Co. http://www.rmpinzgauers.org/photogaller ... en2007.htm We had a line of pinzies on a shelf road when one of the trucks fell over. The only vehicle mounted winch was three vehicles back. I broke out the grip hoist and mounted it to a tree up hill from the truck. In just a few minutes we had the truck back on its wheels and running again. As a side not after that trip RMP as a club bought a unit to have on the trails.
Like so many other offroad items it is nice to have one in the group available for use when needed.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Have you seen the Black Rat? Tirfor style.

A review here.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipmen ... _winch.htm
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Black Rat is the one I have. I also have the recovery kit, very nice equipment in my experience. I ordered mine from a place in Colorado. The one in the review is the one I keep in my Ford but the one in my pinz is the next larger version, using 11mm cable.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Hmmm - I do like the way the Tirfor operate
I guess if I step back and think about it - 30-50 ft of wire rope and then a couple 25ft lengths of synthectic + some straps etc puts me in the same range.
More Googling :D
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

I have a Tirfor and swear by it for function and diversity of use. The product you’re looking at troubles me due to the design, it looks too short, and a lot of energy in cranking on it will be lost with the winch twisting as you apply force especially with the synthetic rope.

Now with enough pulley's you can use a standard cum-along to upright a Pinz but the movement to effort exerted will be high. The Tirfor is a great balance between Effort and Speed.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Ok so there are a bunch of makes and models out there so have to research and each have their own ratings.
What say the group should be the minimum rating for a Pinz (let's say a 710)??
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Seems a reasonable assumption. When I had to get the vehicle licensed in WA it had to be weighed. I stripped it down...no spare, no seats in back, no tools, only drivers seat, etc. and it weighed out at 4810 pounds.
So I would figure that a 710 is just over 5000 pounds. That could be a benchmark of sorts.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I think the specs are about 4500 lbs but I wondering about the safety factor ie. winch should be X times Curb weight etc.
I would assume 1.5-2x but that is just me guessing, not sure what the official rule of thumb is?
Thanks,
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

I have the Griphoist Tirfor T516 and it is rated at 4,000Lbs Dead Lift. The Pull capacity is 5,500Lbs

It costs just a little over $1000.00 and it is the mid sized unit.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M