Speed doesn’t kill; slowness does

All things not relating to the other forums.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Speed doesn’t kill; slowness does

Post by TechMOGogy »

Saw this chart which shows that the slower you are going vs rest of traffic the more likey you are to get into an accident!!

"Drivers travelling at speeds different from the vehicles around them have an increased rate of crashing, with the highest risk going to the slowest drivers.
Follow the U to the right, and it shows that even those who drive 15 km /h faster than the posted limit are less likely to be involved in a crash than those to the left of the axis, the slow drivers.

By slowing down even five km/h from the average speed, drivers greatly increase their chances of being involved in a crash. In fact, those driving just 10 km/h less than the limit are at the greatest risk. Despite being conducted in 1964, this study remains one of the most definitive, with subsequent studies having come to the same conclusion — speed doesn’t kill; slowness does."

Yikes - and Double Yikes when in my Hafi :mrgreen:
Attachments
Slowness kills.jpg
Slowness kills.jpg (36.99 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
undysworld
Norway

Re: Speed doesn’t kill; slowness does

Post by undysworld »

Hmmm. Interesting. I guess I'm doing things right then.

When I drive my Pinz on the Interstate, I always mount a rear facing amber strobe. When I'm in my Pantera, I don't.

Funny though, I've always felt safer in the Pinz. Of course, that old red line keeps going up, and it's probably pretty high as you approach the +100 mark I assume. Safer just might be an issue of relativity.

Either way, none of us gets to live forever.

One of my favorite songs on the matter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEFj2JtB7HU

Cheers all.
Squiggas

Post by Squiggas »

If my pinz was in a crash, I'd rather the impact happened at the rear than the front.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Squiggas wrote:If my pinz was in a crash, I'd rather the impact happened at the rear than the front.
I think of this photo every time I drive
Your legs are the "crumple zone"
Now imagine crashing into something at 60mph :shock:
I think anytime someone posts the classic "how can I go faster in my Pinz" we should post this photo!
Attachments
Leg Crusher.jpg
Leg Crusher.jpg (39.95 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I don't think I need to worry about an impact from behind..

Especially from a speedy Pinz... if it hits me right, it wouldn't even mess up the mud flaps... and at 23k lbs vs 5k, I doubt I'd notice anything to prompt me to stop, and the real mystery would be with the state troopers trying to figure out the Hummer wheel imprint across the driver's face, and the shovel's on the passenger's :shock: :? :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Back in the 80's I did a 3000 km interstate trip in the Haffy.
Mine has 48 mph hubs, so it tops out at 80 kph and as we have 100 or 110 kph speed limits on the highways I remember we had some interesting times when the big trucks etc decided to pass.

I don't know of I'd be so keen to do that again today, in a Haffy that is, given it's size, but I have no fear driving the 712 in those conditions as long as you remember its speed limitations.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Just did a 1600+ mile trip in the pinz towing a trailer. I have a strobe on the pinz and one on the trailer synced to the pinz. I have it on all the time I am on the road.
Had a trucker tell me that the little yellow flasher was a good idea as it let him see me and everyone else seemed to be able to see me quite well even as slow as
I go up the mountains. 'course I pull over to let vehicles go past when the space is available and I only got thumbs up not fingers on this trip. Yeah.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford