Asking for general advice.

All things not relating to the other forums.
stevo

Asking for general advice.

Post by stevo »

Howdy,
I really didn't know under what subject to put this so I chose this one.
I own a 1975 Pinz 710 M Which has been garaged in central Az. The elevation is approx. 4600 feet. The year 'round temperature varies between 0-f in the winter and 105-f in the summer. Due to pre-existing/existing medical conditions and treaments, I have not been able to get up there and take care of things as I should have. Truck not been started since last spring and most likely will not be until next spring. Prior to attempting to start it I intend to change the oil/filter, fuel filter, and drain out/replace the old gas (it's about 8-10 gals.) "Red Death" concerns me although I've never had it before. I have given some thought to running some "Sea Foam" through it,any imput on that? Should I bleed or flush the hydraulic systems?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers,
Stevo
No matter where you go, there you are!
berger
Canada

Re: Asking for general advice.

Post by berger »

Get some Stabil fuel treatment, the one for marine use. It is meant to treat ethanol laden fuels.

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

The fuel is the only issue i see. Make sure the oil is clean, fuel is fresh and give it some cranking time.

disconnect the batteries, or bring a new set with you.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Assuming that it was running fine when you put it away, I would suggest the following:
-Make sure your oil is fresh.
-Check the fuel lines for cracks at the hose ends.
-Absolutely change out the fuel. (the old stuff might not even be fit for a lawn mower at this point)
-Charge your batteries.
-Seafoam is awesome for a Pinz and should give you a noticeable improvement. (pour it down the carbs and in the gas tank but DON'T put it in the crankcase)
-Clean and regap the spark plugs AFTER the Seafaom treatment.
-Bleed your clutch and brakes but don't worry about the lockers unless they are responding slowly now.
-Use starting fluid (the good kind with a lubrication additive). Spray it sparingly into the hose hole on your air breather.
-Use the choke and gas peddle while cranking...

Good luck.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Charge the batteries individually, then crank it until it starts. Run to operating temperature for at least 15-20 minutes. Change the oil and drain the fuel the first chance you get. After that add some Seafoam. The hydraulics should be flushed every 5-10 years or so if you want a dependable system.
stevo

Post by stevo »

Howdy all,
Thanks for the great bits of advice concerning my truck. Now I definitely have a project to work on next year. Appreciate all of your imput.
Cheers, Stevo
No matter where you go, there you are!