Escape route

All things not relating to the other forums.
Squiggas

Escape route

Post by Squiggas »

This is something I hadn't thought about until today.

I reversed my 710K and hit a branch which broke my rear window. It shattered into a million pieces. So, I called Autoglass and they sent a guy who replaced the window with laminated glass. He said that laminated would be better because next time I hit a branch it will probably just crack rather than disintegrate, and it's OK because that window wouldn't be considered an escape route.

He then looked at my side windows and said that if I break one of those it would be difficult to find a replacement because they are toughened glass, which he doesn't deal with, and is necessary because they have holes in them with handles attached.

The windscreen is laminated so now I'm thinking that I don't have an escape route at all. If I crash my pinz and the doors won't open I will have to scramble out of the hatch in the roof. Yikes!
cascade.king

Re: Escape route

Post by cascade.king »

Unless the glass in urethaned to the vehicle, a mild kick to a broken laminated glass pane will have it pop right out.
The rubber moldings won't be able to hold it into position once the glass "structrually" fails.

You are fine.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I've been manufacturing replacement glass for the 710/12s Pinzes for 6 years for resale and made replacements for my 716 in '03,
The windshield come out rather easily, but all the early Pinzes had tempered windshields ( called toughen and some other names in Europe), when broken, they were generally replaced with laminated. The gasket used for the rear door glass is one that would make it difficult to kick out, but rather break the glass out instead.
The 710/12s also used slam latches on the front and rear side doors which were outlawed in the US in the early '70s because the doors would fly open in accidents. People familar with Land Rovers know the difference between the early ones with the slam lock and the replacement "anti-burst" locks.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

The windshield comes out surprisingly easily. It's only held in place by a rubber seal.