Insurance?!

All things not relating to the other forums.
Orangefj45

Insurance?!

Post by Orangefj45 »

Hey guys.
I'm a newbie to this forum but not to the Offroad world. Purchased the "Warn Pinz 712" a few weeks ago and my insurance guy isn't able to do much for me to get it insured. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
I know. Newbie question ........
Georg @ Valley Hybrids
75 "Warn" 712
A few land cruisers ......
Dodge mega cab tow-rig
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Re: Insurance?!

Post by EmbarkChief »

FWIW I had to send in pictures when I asked for a quote. You might get more help if you update your location info as the laws vary from state to state. Congrats on your purchase!
-1972 710M
stevo

Post by stevo »

Howdy,
I was speaking to my ins. agent a few weeks ago (she's a broker so has access to multiple ins. companies) and she told me that I was basically stuck with the company that I have (Progressive) and that I was lucky to have it-having been "grandfathered" into it because I have had it for such a long time. She told me that now-a-days none of the companies that she deals with will cover Pinzies. So...I asked my other agent (the person who carries my home-owner's ins.) about getting it insured through her company (a completely different company) and she told me that there was no way she could insure it. I was just trying to "consolidate" some bills but I guess I'll have to try something different.
Oh well, Cheers and good luck to you.
By the way, this all took place in Arizona. I basically have two residences-Ariz. and Calif. Imagine what kind of headaches I would have with this in Calif.
Cheers, Stevo
No matter where you go, there you are!
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

You have a Farmers agent in your town? Call them. I had mine insured in CA through Farmers. ..also in WA and now in CO.
I surmise that your agent is giving you bad info.

Progressive will not insure me either.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I had my State Farm agent specifically check if they had any problems insuring a Pinzgauer, and as of several years back when she did check she said "there is no State Farm prohibition to insuring Pinzgauers". However, I have heard of people who's State Farm agent said it couldn't be insured. I think it depends on how good the agent is and how confident and competent they are. I suspect that many agents just don't want to deal with any problems that might come up, so they just say no in advance... You might want to check with other agents of your insurance first, before changing insurance. Just tell them that your current agent won't help you and see if you get the same response.

Both of my Pinzis are insured through State Farm but on the other hand I've had State Farm for my automobile insurance for over 30 years, that may make a difference.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

I have mine through progressive in Washington state.
Tim
1975 710K
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I know I am in Canada so don't have much help to offer guys in the US but just wondering how people are insured (sorry not trying to hijack the thread). Are you insured the same as a regular car/truck or under a 'special' policy like a historic/classic vehicle etc?
Thanks,
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Both of mine are covered as an SUV, with full coverage including collision through State Farm.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I get a package deal...house, pinz and jeep with the same agency and agent. I had an agent that wasn't as I would have likes and switched agents here in CO.
It's just business and if someone is not performing to your liking, go elsewhere. After all, it's money out of your pocket. Spend as wisely as you can.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
landy

Post by landy »

Have you tried a "classic car" insurance agency? I have mine insured through Hagerty. They do have some restrictions, but their rates are very low.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Hagerty's restrictions were not in my favor. Garaged all the time and can't use off road...what' s the point of arguing/verifying with someone about where the incident occurred?
I may not get a tow truck to me but if I or someone else breaks it I want it fixed.

edit: also a restriction for milage in a given year. not a problem for me as my speedo doesn't work.
Last edited by krick3tt on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pols497
United States of America

Post by Pols497 »

I spend about 3000.00 a year insuring all of my stuff with State Farm and I just put liability on my 712 when I purchased it 5 years ago. No hassel. If your agent won't work with you it might be time to shop around.
Roger Melton
landy

Post by landy »

I don't recall my policy indicating that it can't be used off road, guess I better check that. Policy does say it's to be kept in a locked garage, but I just park mine in a carport. Unless it's ever damaged sitting in the carport and I file a claim, the garage requirement doesn't much matter.
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

not a problem for me as my speedo doesn't work.
Wow you have a speedo? My big fat tach stole that hole.
'76 710K
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

I had mine with my regular auto carrier Allstate for years. It cost the same as my wife's SUV and was for "Agreed Value". I now have it with one of the major collector car carriers. And yes, it's not covered off road. But honestly, if I take it off road I don't expect insurance to soak up my decision. I really want it for the really dangerous stuff - on the roads.
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE