Team Balu rear mounted winches

All things not relating to the other forums.
Haf-e
United States of America

Team Balu rear mounted winches

Post by Haf-e »

I watched the "team balu 2013" video and noticed that both of the pinzgauers had rear mounted winches with the cable routed to the front end some how.

Anyone have any details on this setup? Seems like it would be sweet!
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Team Balu rear mounted winches

Post by TechMOGogy »

I have seen it done on Mogs.
Winch in the rear that runs through a double pulley, then heads to the front via a tube that goes where the PTO would go and out the front to another double pulley (that was a 404).
I know some of the square cabs come from the factory with rear mounted winches that go to the front via a few pulleys and an interesting fairlead on the front. Example http://www.benzworld.org/forums/4210394-post3.html
Would be interesting to see how it was done on a Pinz
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I had noticed the rear pulley setup also. But they have a bed mounted Warn winch which is routed to a bed height rear fairlead and a large pulley that feeds it to the front. That is why the rear door is notched the way it is. I would suspect that they could easily reroute it to the rear to use it for rear pulls. or just feed cable out and install a pulley block and hook over the cable.

Mid mounted winches with dual direction feeds are not all that rare. They were available for the 416 and SBU Mogs. Some LR101 had a mid mounted PTO winch and currently, the FMTVs use mid mounted hydraulic winches.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I've seen it before on bigger trucks - just never on a Pinzgauer. Never imagined it was possible without a "frame" to run the cable through.

Guess it would help reduce front end weight a bit. Dual winches front and rear (with the rear winch mounted under the rear door like on David's 716K) might be the best option if you really needed to have a winch - there would be redundancy in case one failed - at least for parts / exchange.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I liked how my rear winch mount came out. The mounting tray actually replaced the tailcone, The winch tucked up under the body with only the fairlead and the hitch receiver extending slightly. Considering the shape of the tailcone, no ground clearance is lost.
Since the tailcone is part of the parking brake and pivot point, a tailcone must be milled down to 1” to mount the tray to the rear of the center tube. The tray bolts up with the original diff bolts. Then a spacer is made to bolt the upper tray to the rear body mount ( that was originally to the tailcone).

I originally made 2, so somewhere around my shop :roll: is another basic tray with the diff bolt holes. I'd sell if for the original cost I paid. $150 + shipping
And if I hadn't used it or can find it, I'd include the receiver tube I had gotten for it.

I'll repost this in the classifieds also and add some pics of the tray and get a weight for it.

michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

PM SENT
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

PM replied to.
I don't think I'll need to repost ad. :lol:

audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Nice buy!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)