Newby looking at Pinzgauer

All things not relating to the other forums.
JimmyC

Newby looking at Pinzgauer

Post by JimmyC »

I have never owned a Pinzgauer but think I want to buy one. I use to have Dodge Powerwagons but got away from i for a few years. I have a camp in the Blueridge mountains and will probably use it there, mostly for ice cream runs on hardtop, but also to use on dirt roads when they get washed out and maybe for hauling stuff when doing hiking trail maintenance with a club. Here are some questions:

1. I have only looked at 710Ms. I understand the 712M has an extra axle and longer bed, but I am wondering what people with more experience think about their relative merits.
2. I looked at a very nice 710M but it had aftermarket wheels. The wheels were Dick Cepek 17" and had 33 x 12.5 x 17LT tires. This is a bit bigger in diameter and wider than the stock tires (31 x 10?) which worries me. What have others experienced with tires this big? I am worried about rubbing, over stressing stuff, and the steering being to heavy for my daughters and GF.
3. The shifter was very vague. There was no sense of gates, no spring centering, and reverse was not straight up from first. Is this just the way they are?
4. It seems that nice 710Ms are in the $14 to $16k range. Is this about right?
5. Anything I need to watch out for?
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
westernair
United States of America

Re: Newby looking at Pinzgauer

Post by westernair »

If you can afford a 712 you will be more happy with it. Drives hardtop better, dirt trails better and has more room. Having had both I can say I was more happy with the abilities of a 712.
Those tires and rims should be fine on the truck. Nothing taller or you will have problems. Shifting sounds like you would need a shifter rebuild kit. Not that big of a deal. Maybe someone knows the truck you are interested in. Who is selling it? Might find someone that knows the truck.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Rust in the body is a big issue. Try and find as dry of a truck as possible
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I do not want to say whose truck until I get their OK. I am going to look at another 710M this afternoon. After that I will have twice as much experience! It has regular size tires and I am curious to see how it effects steering effort. I have a girlfriend and 4 daughters that are just a bit above 100 pounds. I also found the clutch a bit heavy for the girls on the one I looked at, particularly as the motor is not that big. Is there anything that can be done about that?
Jim Chance
710M

edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

I would expect them to get used to the clutch. I would expect the steering to be more or a problem for them especially if running oversize tires.
As has been mentioned the shiftier mechanism can be rebuilt at the base of the shift lever and also the plastic bushings at the transmission both easy and fairly cheep.
That said its never going to have a tight "gated" shift like a Ferrari. :lol:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I never noticed a 'gate' on my 710...I did on the UniMog 404. Reverse is (in my opinion) very similar to a VW...not straight up, but push down and to the right. Keeps from shifting to R from 1st.
If you think the engine is too small, you can change it but then you don't have a pinz but only a pinz looking thing. If you think the engine is too small, perhaps the pinz is not the vehicle for you.
Certainly not going to compare it to a power wagon.
Drive one and check it out before you buy...seriously, try both the 710 and the 712. I have friends with 712's and they are off road better than my 710 but I am used to the 710 and it makes for
a very entertaining ride.
712...Extra axle .. two more tires, more brakes and more length, but increased off road comfort. Can also haul more, by the very capacity of the length.

Check here for more info http://www.sdp-pinzgauer.org/

Happy trails
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I am happy with the power. Just saying small engines usually do not have much clutch pressure because they do not have to handle much torque. It loked like I could make the lever longer. Will be interesting to see how the clutch feels on the one I am seeing this afternoon..
Jim Chance
710M

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Thanks for sharing the site. Good reading tonight.

I saw the second Pinzgauer today but could not drive it as the carbs were off. I was able to feel the steering weight parked and it seemed similar to the other truck. The truck had the original wheels but the tires were bigger than standard. The clutch pedal was significantly lighter and the shifter was far less vague. I am supposed to be able to drive it early next week.
Jim Chance
710M

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Fill in your location in your profile so we know where you are.
There also may be someone close to you that could let you drive both so you get feel for them.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I am in Lafayette, La. I have a camp in Highlands, NC, and I will be in Phoenix and Sedona soon
Jim Chance
710M

JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Bought the first one. I guess it was love at first site. Headed to pick it up Monday. Should be home Tuesday.
Jim Chance
710M

EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

Congradulations! Can't wait to see pics!
-1972 710M
Dogslovetrucks

Post by Dogslovetrucks »

Sweet- Congrats! Now post pics!
76 710K
transalpian

Post by transalpian »

So what did you get? I see where the nice looking one in Texas is sold and it had Cepek wheels...

Is it now yours?