would you tow a 712 in a dump trailer?

All things not relating to the other forums.
audiocontr
United States of America

would you tow a 712 in a dump trailer?

Post by audiocontr »

I really need a dump trailer. Id love to get rid of my 16 ft car hauler and replace it with a dump trailer for dual use - moving stone/debris and mulch, plus hauling the pinz the two of three times a year i use it.

Would a 7x16 dump trailer work? Or am i better off keeping a 2nd trailer for my hauling?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Re: would you tow a 712 in a dump trailer?

Post by EmbarkChief »

Can't see why it wouldn't. I use a 16' bumper pull or the 18' goose neck to move mine around. Although yours is a little longer than mine I doubt it would cause you any issues.
-1972 710M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The problems I see is that a dump trailer weighs quite a bit more than a utility/auto trailer. and typically one that is that long, the GVW is 12 to 14K, which is over the DOT limit for a normal driver's license without endorsements (10k GVW).
I looked up a 16' dump trailer , the empty weight was 4500lbs with a GVW of 14k. Though the gross of a 712 and trailer may be under 10K, LEOs will go by the dataplate.

Now the disclaimer. Some states and LEOs don't sweat the details until something happen, then you may have hell to pay and your insurance company can refuse any claims. And in some areas, the local LEOs are very aware of bridge weights on older bridges and the dataplates are their basis for tickets. It just depends on your area and LEOs.... Intrastate travel adds to your exposures.

98% of the time, everything is fine....

Dump trailers that are 10k GVW are usually 10' long.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Sonarman
United States of America

Post by Sonarman »

I am looking at a 14 ft 10k gross weight dump trailer. The one I am looking at does not have very high walls 16 inches. Then again the 710 is shorter. Trying to decide on that or 16 foot car hauler. The dump trailer is twice as much and I am not sure I can justify the extra cost.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I uses to haul my 716 on a 14' trailer, just need to have it balanced for the proper tongue weight.
I just don't like towing or storing much more than I need ( or have space for) :|
Attachments
IMG_0204.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG (135.06 KiB) Viewed 2708 times

Sonarman
United States of America

Post by Sonarman »

Dave,
That was my concern with the 14 ft dump trailer, getting to much tongue weight forward and not being able to back it up a bit.
What about back Pinz on?
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Sonarman wrote:Dave,
That was my concern with the 14 ft dump trailer, getting to much tongue weight forward and not being able to back it up a bit.
What about back Pinz on?
Depends on the trailer but yes, backing on and trying to place engine weight over the axles would be best IMHO
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The 716 is 8" longer than 710, and would more than likely need to be back a bit further, BUT it come down to where the axles are located.
Utility trailers have the axles positioned for normal loads having a good tongue weight. You'd need to check the specs on the dump trailer you're looking at to see what that manufacturer deems the "best" location. Best is to "try" the trailer and see where the Pinz may set best for good tongue weight with a tongue scale.. don't load the trailer without hooked to a truck, or the trailer will take off, then disconnect and jack the trailer up and put the scale under the trailer hitch, and adjust the Pinz as needed to get the proper weight on the tongue (>10%, < 15%). A bit of a pain to do, but makes for easier towing experience, and a knowledgeable one. I have lines on my trailer for each different vehicle

If you try to tow a M backwards on a trailer, either remove the top or be sure it is closed tightly, a wind tunnel affect would be caused with the windshield being the last obstruction, not a deflection. Having R&R more than a couple Pinz windshields :roll: , I could easily see a Pinz ws blown out from being towed backwards at freeway speeds. People have seen me push out Pinz ws, just with my hands, and some have had them fall out when folded while offroad.

I always tow my Haffy backwards on my trailer (only because the balance is right) with the top off and the windshield folded down