New WA pinz owner

All things not relating to the other forums.
nox654

New WA pinz owner

Post by nox654 »

Hi everyone,

I wanted to stick my head in the door and say hi as I just bought a 710K about a month ago and have already spent waaay too much time lurking around the boards. It's currently hanging out in WA, as am I, and I know there are few more PNWers out there. I saw a tan 712 in Ballard a few months back but alas I was lacking in the note-leaving-on-window supplies.

I'm currently looking in paint options for the summer as there's some rust to be removed, followed by a little general tlc. If anyone has any experience I'm all ears!
1973 710K

It's not the years honey, it's the mileage.
krick3tt

Re: New WA pinz owner

Post by krick3tt »

If you are trying to keep the OD colour and don't want to spend lots of money, go to WalMart and get a case of OD paint and do the thing.
Paint the whole thing for less than $30. and it will look like new. Just my opinion, that 's how I do mine. be sure to do the top with 303 protectant, wash it first. :roll:
There will be other opinions, make your choice, it's your vehicle.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

krick3tt wrote:If you are trying to keep the OD colour and don't want to spend lots of money, go to WalMart and get a case of OD paint and do the thing.
Paint the whole thing for less than $30. and it will look like new. Just my opinion, that 's how I do mine. be sure to do the top with 303 protectant, wash it first. :roll:
There will be other opinions, make your choice, it's your vehicle.
The use of 303 proctectant would not apply to the 710K :wink:

While I agree with the Walmart ultra flat camo OD by Krylon being a good option I suspect you'll need a bit more for a 710K than a 710M its not a perfect match however the price is good and is good for touch-up. I've seen a number of trucks done with it that came out quite better than some trucks that have been painted by a body shop.

Welcome to the insanity.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Welcome, glad to have another one in the area. Mark your colander 94 days from now to go to NW Mog fest.
Sheridan OR (Aug 13-18)

Also if you are interested in going to Evans creek, tahulia, or Capital forest to do some wheeling let us know.
Lastly who/where did you get your truck?
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Dogslovetrucks

New WA pinz owner

Post by Dogslovetrucks »

Joined the club last year; NO regrets! Welcome :)
76 710K
SeattleTom

Post by SeattleTom »

Welcome to the forum..

The tan 712 in Ballard that you saw was probably mine - I have an Austrian 712k. I have seen a camo 710K driving around here before too and the owner apparently lives in Ballard as well..

I am in the same boat as you trying to take care of rust spots and leaks.

If you want to keep the original color the paint codes are RAL 7013 for the Austrian version and RAL 6014 for the Swiss.. I had Wesco in Bellevue mix a can of RAL 7013 for me and the match was very close, but not exactly the same. I have also contacted S-Tec about the paint and was told that they could get it from the original manufacturer but that it would take a while.
nox654

Post by nox654 »

Thanks everyone! I believe I've already gotten a taste of the insanity- just getting the thing licensed and registered was a 2+ week process. Looking forward the fun parts of insanity now. :D

That's good info on the paint. At this point it will likely be touchups, then once I get a better idea of what I want to do I'll go full out. The bits of rust are in hard to see places so at least I've got that on my side?

Lastly, the almighty origin story! I'm the third owner. The first guy, who bought it after it was imported, was an older gentleman in Texas who used it for snowbird trips to Mexico. The guy I bought it from picked it up from the gentleman in Mexico after he decided he was getting to old to climb in and out of it, even with a stool. He drove it back up to OR where he decided he had one too many cars (you should have seen the yard- Mogs and Rovers as far as the eye could see... to the end of the parking lot anyway ;) ) so this had to go. I was happy to take it off his hands.
1973 710K

EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

Sounds like a winner! How about some pics?
-1972 710M
nox654

Post by nox654 »

Working on it. This file size thing is killing me. I need to set up a link to a site but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Soon!
1973 710K

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

nox654 wrote:
Lastly, the almighty origin story! I'm the third owner. The first guy, who bought it after it was imported, was an older gentleman in Texas who used it for snowbird trips to Mexico. The guy I bought it from picked it up from the gentleman in Mexico after he decided he was getting to old to climb in and out of it, even with a stool. He drove it back up to OR where he decided he had one too many cars (you should have seen the yard- Mogs and Rovers as far as the eye could see... to the end of the parking lot anyway ;) ) so this had to go. I was happy to take it off his hands.
I almost bought your truck. I think you got a good one. I ended up getting a 710m that is unbelievable shape.
'75 710M
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Another Washington Pinzgauer, time for another puget sound treffen!
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Rifleman wrote:
I almost bought your truck. I think you got a good one. I ended up getting a 710m that is unbelievable shape.
Would be cool for you to start a thread and post some pics of it!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Wish there would have been more pinz owners when I lived up there. A Sound Treffen is a great idea. Enjoy. In a pinch you could always go to the NWMF in Sheridan. Lots of pinzies there.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
nox654

Post by nox654 »

Pictures finally! (one of which you can see a pesky oozing that I'm currently trying to track down in another thread...)

And yes, I am aware of NWMF...but I think I might have a work commitment that weekend. Of flippin' course. :x
Attachments
hey1.jpg
hey1.jpg (503.97 KiB) Viewed 5230 times
hey.jpg
hey.jpg (173.37 KiB) Viewed 5230 times
1973 710K

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Nice truck!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker