Looking to get a Pinz

All things not relating to the other forums.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Looking to get a Pinz

Post by TechMOGogy »

kjbtsi6686 wrote:Well me and my wife have been thinking awhile about getting a Pinz. On the 4th we took a trip up to Silverton, CO with my parents, they have a side by side atv (along with everyone up there it seems). He keeps pushing me to get something like that, but with 3 kids and another on the way it just seems so one dimensional, whereas a Pinz seems much more versatile. Obviously I wont be able to fly down trails at 70mph, but on all but one of the trails we were on I don't think we ever exceeded 30mph, and I could have all the kids in a Pinz plus all of our gear and even a few other people along for the ride.
So basically I'm looking for advise on what to look for in a Pinz, what not to worry about, and what ya'll think of the Pinz vs. side by side/jeep discussion.
Sorry for the ramble.
The old SDP site (now rehosted at a new home) has a good check list of what to look for when purchasing a Pinz: http://madscientisthut.com/sdp-pin/html ... klist.html

It also has a great technical area
Good luck and welcome to the forum
Welcome to LilPoppa too!
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Another welcome LilPoppa.

I've driven my 712 from Wisconsin to Colorado and back a few times. Besides swapping carb jets (about a 10 min. job), I had no problems on-road. Even off-road damage was easily repairable to allow us to drive 1000 miles home again.

Remember, they were made for military use, and in order to accomplish their missions, the trucks needed to be reliable. Many aftermarket changes improve this further. If you take care of the truck and perform the needed maintenance, they are quite reliable. But depending on usage, it's entirely possible to need to make repairs, and maybe that's the case with the Africa trip.

I would carry tools and some spare parts just in case I had problems (after all, it's nearly 40 years old), but I wouldn't plan on making repairs.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

There are some vehicles that need to repaired on a daily basis...some of my LR friends have mentioned this. I have had to make repairs but they were not necessarily the fault of the vehicle.

Some things were there when I got the vehicle and I had little knowledge, so they went unnoticed for a time and needed professional help. Most things are the result of not knowing what little
thing influences another. I carry spare things, fuel pump, voltage regulator, coil, fan belt (it is an air cooled engine after all) and other bits that might be an issue far from home. Spare bulbs too.
Where are you going to find 24V stuff on a Sunday morning in Winslow AZ at 7 AM?

Generally I find this vehicle to be very reliable and worry free if kept to a schedule.

On long trips I have to add oil but can't figure if it looses or burns it...my guess is, burns it and it may be time for a serious look to the internals. Again, more professional help may be in order.
it is over 41 years old, not that it makes much difference in the grand scheme of things.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
LilPoppa

Post by LilPoppa »

Thanks for the replies and welcomes, guys. You're a bunch of enablers, hahaha. Honestly, that sounds more reliable than my 2000 Explorer, and krick3tt, those spare parts you carry seem reasonalbe. I used to have an '88 S15, and carried all those things as well.

The way my savings have been going, I should be good to go for next spring. By that time, I may be able to swing a 716 TD.
LilPoppa

Post by LilPoppa »

I should point out that the guy doing the Africa trip was going down West Africa during the rainy season. In retrospect, that should have convinced me.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Since you are in BC, it would be a good thing if you could make some time to get to NorthWest MogFest. Lots of pinzies and almost every other 4X you can imagine.

http://www.northwestmogfest.com/

I have a good friend from Gibsons, BC, that gets there periodically and when I come he brings some of that really good Canadian beer. So much to see and do, worth the trip.
The folks that own the farm (Jim and Emily) are the nicest people one could ever meet.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

LilPoppa wrote:You're a bunch of enablers, hahaha.
That's (half of) why we're here. Just tryin' to help... :mrgreen:

Insanity, like misery, thrives on company.
kjbtsi6686

Post by kjbtsi6686 »

Alot of awesome info, thanks guys. The problem I have with the 4door jeeps is first cost, and once our 4th baby gets here we're short at least 1 seat. Plus there is the cool factor of "what the hell is that?" from everyone else around as they watch this goofy little truck go places they can't. 8)

The want is beginning to out way the need! :D

Driving old VW's I'm used to carrying extra parts around, so we're used to that. My current project has got my hands on perma dirty status.
1974 710M
Todd

Post by Todd »

Hey my name is Todd. I have a good 710 m for sale if you are serious about buying one. It has a tuff river insulated top, newly upholstered front and rear seats. 8 seatbelts in the back attached by etrac installed by Andre of fat fabrications. It also has one of Andres winch bumpers on it with a warn XD 9000 lb winch. The truck was gone through by Andre last year and had panels off and all rust killed before I took delivery of it. I have 5 kids myself and had big dreams of camping and riding but unfortunately I spend too much time trying to feed those rascals to get to enjoy it. They do love it whenever we use it though. I forgot to mention that it has five brand new all terrain tires on it including the spare. I was asking 16,500 for the truck and for a mileage fee I could probably be persuaded to deliver it. Let me know if you are interested and ill try to get you some more pictures. Ther are some on the forum under 710 m for sale they aren't the best pictures though. Thanks.
LilPoppa

Post by LilPoppa »

"Plus there is the cool factor of "what the hell is that?"

Totally. Everytime I think that I could just get truck and camper, I look at a picture of a Pinzgauer and my resolve to have one strengthens.

Have you concidered importing a newer model, kjbtsi6686? The price would up there for sure, and Todd's $16,500 is a pretty good deal, but a TD would be pretty sweet.
kjbtsi6686

Post by kjbtsi6686 »

Todd wrote:Hey my name is Todd. I have a good 710 m for sale if you are serious about buying one. It has a tuff river insulated top, newly upholstered front and rear seats. 8 seatbelts in the back attached by etrac installed by Andre of fat fabrications. It also has one of Andres winch bumpers on it with a warn XD 9000 lb winch. The truck was gone through by Andre last year and had panels off and all rust killed before I took delivery of it. I have 5 kids myself and had big dreams of camping and riding but unfortunately I spend too much time trying to feed those rascals to get to enjoy it. They do love it whenever we use it though. I forgot to mention that it has five brand new all terrain tires on it including the spare. I was asking 16,500 for the truck and for a mileage fee I could probably be persuaded to deliver it. Let me know if you are interested and ill try to get you some more pictures. Ther are some on the forum under 710 m for sale they aren't the best pictures though. Thanks.
I have seen your ad, and you have one awesome Pinz. Like I said earlier, I gotta offload some debt and see where we are at then. Yours was the main one I have been looking at, beautiful truck. 8)
1974 710M
kjbtsi6686

Post by kjbtsi6686 »

LilPoppa wrote:"Plus there is the cool factor of "what the hell is that?"

Totally. Everytime I think that I could just get truck and camper, I look at a picture of a Pinzgauer and my resolve to have one strengthens.

Have you concidered importing a newer model, kjbtsi6686? The price would up there for sure, and Todd's $16,500 is a pretty good deal, but a TD would be pretty sweet.
A TD would be great, but I can't swing the cost.
1974 710M
Todd

Post by Todd »

Thank you.
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Looking cool, baby in the back seat, highway friendly.....
You need this one:
http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... f=5&t=9071
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

totaljoint wrote:Looking cool, baby in the back seat, highway friendly.....
You need this one:
http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... f=5&t=9071
Everybody needs THAT one..
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder