Any hunters on the board?

All things not relating to the other forums.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Any hunters on the board?

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I was wondering if there are any experienced deer hunters on the board. I need to know a couple of basic things just to make sure I'm being accurate for a writing project Im working on.

If you are hunting for food, do you normally go for a doe or buck, or does it matter? Do some people only hunt bucks, and if so, why? Would it be questionable to hunt for a doe in any way? (assuming it doesn't have babies hanging around)

I assume state law has something to do with it, but pretend that doesn't exist anymore. ;)

Thanks.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

undysworld
Norway

Re: Any hunters on the board?

Post by undysworld »

Hi Vince,

I'm no pro, but I've shot a few. An ex-roommate suggested that since I like venison sausage, I should understand where it came from.

Like beef, young ones taste better. What you think of as a big buck is likely an old, tough, more gamey tasting animal. I choose only the youngest or a doe, and I'm only hunting for food. Some folks only hunt for a big buck, and from what I understand they often have the head mounted for display. Bucks are typically much more wary and more difficult to get a shot at. Some guys get all bent out of shape if you shoot a doe, and I believe they are of the buck-hunting mindset. I think it has to do with the idea that there will be more bucks birthed if you have more doe left.

I'm sure others will have more to offer.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

The rules for deer hunting vary by state and region. This web site details the seasons for my area http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/doc ... bgDeer.pdf as you can see seasons exist for antlered and antlerless hunting.

Some people are trophy hunters, and prefer to hunt critters that he can hang on the wall or make rugs from these are the people looking for the huge old buck with the great rack, however if they need / want food on the table they will take what they can get.

In a survival situation all you’re going to care about is putting meat on the table. If you are in a location that you are concerned with a sustained supply of meat you will hunt in a manner that will help preserve the heard such that you will have meat for next year. Remember a buck will service as many doe’s as he can so not very bucks need to be preserved for the herd to survive.

On any given day I see at least 4 does on my property that would be easy to drop with a firearm and most likely with a bow or high power air gun, however in the time I've lived here I've only seen one buck, if looking for food what would you choose?

As a side note, did you know that deer are responsible for more human fatalities than any other animal in North America? :shock:

Now if your looking for something with a little more meat...
Attachments
IMAG0528.jpg
IMAG0528.jpg (379.43 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

From a game management standpoint bucks are harvested most of the time because they impregnate a considerable number of does resulting in an increasing deer population. When the population exceeds the "carrying capacity" of the habitat the deer will suffer due to overgrazing leading to starvation in the worst case or significant damage to forage in the lesser case.

If one buck impregnates 12 doe with each doe producing one, or perhaps two offspring, you can see the effectiveness of buck-only seasons. Doe seasons need to happen when the population overruns the capacity of the habitat - hopefully when the state fish & game sees and reacts to the problem.

The worst thing that ever happened to sound game management practices in this country was the movie "Bambi" by Walt Disney in 1942...

I don't hunt deer, but if I did I'd drive my Pinz.
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

The original purpose of my cage was as a deer stand!
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

You want deer? Come to Pennsylvania,...Please.

http://www.meadvilletribune.com/news/ar ... 28640.html

Save my wife's Cooper.

Almost everyone I know has hit a deer. I dont hunt, But I have 4 deer kills and my wife has one. That equals 1 totaled car, 1 totaled S-10, and a totaled Astro van.

Now she drives a race car and I am safe in my Pinz. Had a deer run into me a couple years ago. Ran off before I could get insurance info from him. Dented rear bed of pick up.
So, help protect my wife from careless deer. That mini wont protect her. Especially at 80

Brian
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist