10 YEARS!!! The Portal Hub is 10 years old?

All things not relating to the other forums.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

10 YEARS!!! The Portal Hub is 10 years old?

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

We've been up for 10 years!!

Technically it was April of 2004 when this version of the Pinzgauer forums started so this is a little late. Before 2004 was the old Pinzgauer BBS (bulletin board system) that I originally started in 1999 with probably 10 members initially. Back then I owned a 1972 SIII diesel Land Rover as my everyday car, and was importing some Euro 4x4's, mostly Pinzgauers, on a very limited basis for others. I was too young to know what I was doing but it was a fun time and I got to travel to Europe, drive some really rare 4x4's, tour the G-wagen and Pinzgauer factories in Graz Austria and meet lots of other 4x4 obsessed people!

Since then I have been through a Rover, a 300gd G-Wagen, 710M in addition to a 712M racing truck, which I took back to the Croatia Trophy that almost killed me, then sold the Pinzies and went to a Volvo C303, and now I'm back into a first-year TD G-Wagen with a 716K on my future wish list.

What will this forum be in another 10 years? The ride continues...

The pic: My first Pinz at a gas station and on our way to a Land Rover rally in NC. The license tag read "Real 4x4".
Attachments
thecrew.jpg
thecrew.jpg (136.93 KiB) Viewed 3949 times
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

nicholastanguma
United States of America

Re: 10 YEARS!!! The Portal Hub is 10 years old?

Post by nicholastanguma »

I certainly hope it will be around in another ten years--I'm considering purchase of a Pinzy. And everybody knows that these days nothing is worth doing unless you can broadcast it to everyone online. :wink:
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

I don't think I could have kept my Pinz running over the years without this forum. When the board goes, I will sell my truck!
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Glad to hear it helps!

Interesting numbers: We are up to 50873 posts, 6144 separate topics and over 1500 members
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Must have been about that time (10 years ago) I first started thinking of a Pinzgauer.... a year later this arrived:
Attachments
DSC01401.jpg
DSC01401.jpg (69.11 KiB) Viewed 3897 times
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Same here I must have been thinking about buying a Pinzgauer for about 10 years......but have only had mine for what? almost 5 now? maybe a little more??......I don't really think it was the funds that slowed my purchase, first I had to move to a house with a garage and secure parking, that would do it justice, I also had a 69 Series 2a Landrover in Pieces that I wanted to restore......slowly it all came together, I have not regretted it for a moment.....I know my Pinz is a bit of a mongrel with the excellent 'Pinzmeister' diesel (OM602) conversion.....it has not let me down in a Pinzgauer way in any form since I bought it (OK for a while I had on going/now solved... starter motor problems but that is MBs fault not Pinz) I have never actually been stuck in the Pinz in a way that the Diff locks could not get me out..(oops once I got jammed sidewise between two walls of dirt on a track and had to bring the Unimog with winch to get me out......diff locks could not help with that one!!! luckily just a few kms from my home...fast jog got me to the Unimog in about 20 minutes. So have I any regrets...not at all.....the economy is amazing.....I run the Pinz alongside my wife's car which is a UAZ 469b with an Andoria 4C90 diesel......the OM 602 is a similar cubic capacity albeit with 5cyls and the Andoria has 4 but the OM602 in the Pinz has always had the edge when it comes to starting in Minus 20C and below......and also on economy where it always has been just slightly better than the UAZ. So a grand Happy Birthday to this board....long may it continue......I probably have another 10 fit years left before I have to give up the awkward clamber up into the driving seat.
Aiming to introduce UK Politicians to Piano wire and Lamposts!
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Thank you, Vince, for all your work in maintaining this forum! We all appreciate it -- I know I certainly do. And to help ensure that it continues, I'll suggest that we all make a donation to the site. How much $$$ have we all saved because of the shared information from Goatworks, Professor Pinzgauer, and others?

Here's to another ten years! :D
Jim M.
712W and 710M
GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

I bought my Pinz 3 months ago so I missed 9 years and 9 months of the board's life, but I've been reading old posts like a demon and catching up. Thanks for all the wonderful information and help!
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Thanks, Vince! And Congratulations on creating a resource of huge value to all of us. I bought my first Pinz 8 years ago and probably wouldn't have if not for this forum.

Many thanks to all the members who have helped me out over the years - you've made this obsession lots of fun!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I joined when this board was only 2 months old. Without this board, ALL of us would be having a lot more trouble with our trucks and the value of a Pinzgauer would not be near as high. No one could argue that Jim LaGuardia is one of the most helpful.

I bought my first 710M from a guy in Las Vegas in February, 2000, and plan to own one for the rest of my life.
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I bought my first 710M from a guy in Las Vegas in February, 2000, and plan to own one for the rest of my life.
Here Here!

and that includes Jim Laguardia as well.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com