Color Matching Existing Camo Colors

All things not relating to the other forums.
MadMax

Color Matching Existing Camo Colors

Post by MadMax »

So I went and got a few pints of paint computer matched by the local HD store to the swatches I had. Luckily, the previous owner provided me with a stick that had the four colors on it, but it is about a decade or so old, as is some of the paint. By using a brush to hand-apply the paint, it has ended up being many patches and layers, each time he got a scratch or some flaked off. Unlike most vehicles where you have a complete respray (and thus easily identifiable layers of color), this has ended up over many years being this amalgamated combination of thick, brushed on 4 color arctic camo, all over and under and spotty. Until I can get a proper place to take it all off I am just trying to keep it looking good and protected from rust. It was not surface prepared before being painted - they just applied acrylic right over unsanded gloss, so thick-ass chips are popping off as it has become brittle. In some areas there is so much paint it is like plaster.

Anyhow, here is the paint stick:

The darker grey color is the only one that is really off by much. That can be fixed by adding just a touch of the black to it. The white I may add just a touch of the light grey to make it a bit warmer like the older one, it is arctic white currently.
Where science and technology fail, art survives.