Insurance Crisis

All things not relating to the other forums.
Shovel Bum

Insurance Crisis

Post by Shovel Bum »

Sorry to start a new thread on something that's been discussed before, but I'm looking for some Arizona-specific help. I just got a '75 710M. I had one about 12 years ago and had no trouble at all insuring it through Allstate, which handles my other truck and home insurance. Since then, they've apparently changed some of their policies and it's looking like adding the new Pinz will be an expensive headache.

I spoke with Hagerty and Grundy. Neither will insure the truck unless I can show it'll be locked in a garage.

I'm a Good Sam member and spoke with them. They Googled the 710M and said they wouldn't insure it because the picture they chose had a 50-cal mounted. I assured them that there were no weapons involved. They said they still couldn't ensure vehicles that would be participating in armed conflict. I tried again to lay out the situation for the agent. Nope, it's "unacceptable," I was told. Idiots.

I know from old posts that these hassles aren't uncommon. I guess I'm hoping to avoid reinventing the wheel here. Is there anyone in Arizona who can give me the name and number of an agent that's already figured this out? Something affordable would be perfect. This is going to be a weekend ride and won't see a ton of miles (compared to daily drivers).

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on what to say or not say, I'd appreciate it. Thus far, I've just been saying it's an SUV made in Austria and it's completely stock.

Thanks, in advance.

Will
GRCameron
United States of America

Re: Insurance Crisis

Post by GRCameron »

My AAA agent got me set up with Progressive last year when I bought my 710M. AAA wouldn't touch it themselves.

My agent for AAA is Mark Field in Prescott. His number is 928-541-8637.
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
Shovel Bum

Post by Shovel Bum »

Thank you, George! I'll give him a call.

Will
idstitch

Post by idstitch »

I went with GEICO online and Did Not use the term Pinzgauer. Used Steyr and all went very well. Under $200 for the year for liability. Thanks to info from EDZZ and Mr. Dunn for previous threads.
Shovel Bum

Post by Shovel Bum »

Thanks idstitch. Did you give a model number or just say a Steyr SUV?
idstitch

Post by idstitch »

Yes. I listed it as a 712 M as that's what was on the title. The computer didn't bat an eye. Just set me up with a policy number and all was good.
Shovel Bum

Post by Shovel Bum »

Very cool. Thank you guys. I've got a few calls in and I'm working on the GEICO online thing. I'll let you know how it pans out.
Jake2015
United States of America

Post by Jake2015 »

How did it work out with GEICO? I hope to have one to insure in a few weeks. I got an online quote from Hagerty via Progressive and using Steyr Puch as the make, and Pinzgauer 712M as the model seemed to work fine. Looking at anywhere between $230 and $290 depending on price, usage and deductible based on the quote engine.
Shovel Bum

Post by Shovel Bum »

Sorry for not updating the thread. Like others have said, I found that a lot of this depends on the agent you get. Here's a rundown of the responses I got:

Hagerty: Won't insure it unless it's locked in a garage when not in use.

Grundy: Ditto.

Good Sam: No &$^#%*^ way, pal! (see earlier post)

Progressive: Polite no.

GEICO: Everything looked rosy while completing the online portion, but when it came time to actually buy the insurance, actual humans got involved and messed everything up. Even though they refused to insure it, I get follow up emails and calls from them fairly regularly now, asking if I've reconsidered. They're confused over there.

USAA: You start off with an online form with drop-down choices that don't accommodate Pinzgauers, forcing you to call. Then I got shut down.

State Farm: Interestingly, the agent told me that a memo came out recently forbidding State Farm agents to insure Pinzgauers unless the owner was already a State Farm customer. If you're already a customer, they make a case-by-case decision, but he said it would probably be approved. All a moot point, because I'm not a State Farm customer.

Allstate: I've been an Allstate customer for close to 20 years now and this wound up being the only place that I could get the truck insured. They would only do liability because of the rarity of body parts, etc., but at least they insured it. I think I got some 'grandfather points' because I'd had a Pinz insured with them before, in the early 2000s. I got the impression that if I didn't know the agent as well as I did, and if I hadn't had the previous Pinz, it would have been much harder, if not impossible.

I still have no great insight into the mysterious inner workings of insurance coverage, but the impression I've gotten from all this is that the agent plays a huge role in how much consideration you're given. Some were clearly just alarmists, basically reacting with, "OMG! I'VE NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE AND THEREFORE IT SCARES ME AND IT'S SAFER TO RUN AWAY THAN STOP AND THINK FOR A MINUTE!" Others were curious and helpful and, I think, really tried to get me coverage. Most, it seemed, were confused and only too happy to bail at the first opportunity.

Let me know if you want my agent's name and number. I can at least promise that he knows what a Pinzgauer is (and isn't!) and that he's capable of getting them insured. I guess my advice would be to get a name and number of some particular agent, from a specific Pinz owner. Reinventing this wheel was exhausting, frustrating, and, ultimately, unfruitful.

Will
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Did not see that you asked Farmers. Been with them for +25 years, course that is both vehicles and the house...in three states. Had a great agent in SoCal and even insured the Mog through them. As you say, it's predominately the agent.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Shovel Bum

Post by Shovel Bum »

Yeah, I shouldn't have said that Allstate was the only place that would insure mine. I guess it would be more accurate to say that they were the first to agree to and I gave up after that, lol. I did not try Farmers, or any others. So, it can be done, lol! Don't give up!
Czechsix
United States of America

Post by Czechsix »

Just wanted to throw out that in the past, and probably near future (new haflinger coming in..), I've used Gulfway with no problems. They've covered the 'mogs and the M35A2's with no issue.

How's the shovelbum work over in AZ, by the way?
1963 Swiss 700AP, with Black Diamond ATV tires, and a few other mods. "Always under construction".
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Great to know there is an insurance company that works ...now if we only knew what part of the world they were in.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Yup
Fill in your location in your profile and be sure to post pics of your new Hafi
Who did you buy from and what model - we love pics and details!!
Cheers,
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Hi Guys,

There is a lot more at play than just lazy agents. A good number of the companies listed are receiving the anti-Pinzgauer sentiment from their underwriters because of bad experiences with the Pinzgauer.

I have commented on this in the past, but It is becoming more pronounced. Bottom line, the Pinzgauer has been bad business for a number of insurance companies. I've had conversations with a number of owners who take the approach that when there is an accident it's time for a windfall. The purpose of insurance is to mitigate a bad situation, not to make your Pinzgauer or your bank account better than it ever was.

Of the last 6 Insurance "cases" that we worked with the underwriters on, 4 of those 6 were VERY questionable. The poor condition 710 with brakes so far out of adjustment they weren't functional and a body/engine in lousy shape, becomes the 23K creampuff that is irreplaceable. Or the minor fender bender that becomes a 12K body shop job to straighten the tub......when that same customer talked with us about straightening the tub 12 months prior. The customer that calls for new canvas because his canvas is rotten and garbage. Gets upset at the "outrageous" cost for the canvas. Worse luck, seems 8 days later vandals cut his "excellent condition" top front and rear and his insurance company was calling us for his new canvas.

When you have a huge quantity of a car model/make, then the fraud and risk averages out. However, when there are so few of the Pinzgauer on the books, it doesn't take that many bad experiences to sour the underwriters to write a policy on them.

Personally I think that comprehensive policies on the Pinzgauer are going to become very difficult to find. Classic insurance will probably become the norm. Relationships with your insurer with your other vehicles will become more important as they are looking for a track record.

We are a licensed and bonded dealer, licensed repair shop, and work closely with a licensed full service body shop. We are happy to help out your insurance company get your truck fixed, establish values, inspections, etc. However, if you have even the slightest intention of playing games, do not call us as you probably won't like the end result. Our interests and the interests of a customer looking to defraud their insurance company, are diametrically opposed. I NEED insurance companies to be willing to insure Pinzgauers so my dealership can continue to sell the vehicles to customers. You trying to screw your insurance company on a claim, in the end just ends up screwing me.......

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."