New member and soon to be Pinz owner (hopefully)

All things not relating to the other forums.
Jake2015
United States of America

New member and soon to be Pinz owner (hopefully)

Post by Jake2015 »

Hi, I have been looking for a Pinzgauer my whole life (well I didn't know what it was but I knew it when I finally saw it).

For the last week I have been scouring the internet for any for sale. I prefer a 712, but of course those are rare. I am trying to decide on type. I would like to have a camper conversion as that will help sell the wife on camping (city girl extreme). So I've been looking at K versions as well as ambulance versions. I understand that the ambulance box comes out and could then be used as an open bed. I also have seen pictures of what appears to be an M version that someone build hard sides onto. Living in Phoenix, the ability to have the airflow of the M version seems to be advantageous at times. My head is spinning with all the options. I would appreciate hearing anyone's experience as to type as well as 710 vs. 712.

I have many more questions, but these are at the top of the list.

Thanks
Haf-e
United States of America

Re: New member and soon to be Pinz owner (hopefully)

Post by Haf-e »

Two things to consider - there isn't air conditioning so the ambulance and "K" versions get toasty - I would go with a 710m or 712m in a place like Phoenix as long as security wasn't an issue.

Other issue is 712's have lower gearing - I think its 15% less - so 50 to 55 is their cruising speed unless you swap t-cases which are pricey. 710's do better on the highway and on grades as they weigh (about 1000 lbs less), have higher gearing and only wear down 4 tires instead of 6. The extra 3 feet length of the 712 is nice for camping and perhaps for off road (unless on really tight trails).
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Jake2015
United States of America

Post by Jake2015 »

Does anyone have the inside dimensions of the truck bed for the 710 and 712? I find overall external dimensions, but no internal.

Thanks
Facebook: Southwest Pinzgauer
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Strictly from memory, roughly
710 Cargo area, 60 x 88
712, 60 X 120
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

710s hold a queen sized air mattress nicely with the seats folded down. There is maybe 10-12" of extra space front to back, and a couple of spare inches side to side with the air mattress in. But not much room for your feet once you close the rear door (I know). A 712 would give you an additional 3-4 feet of extra length beyond the mattress and would be nice to have for getting dressed/undressed, shoes on/off, etc. when camping.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Just cause I'm a nice guy, I measured my 710M. Sorry to say, I grabbed a nice one out of Quartzsite AZ earlier this year.

Bed size is 63" x 88.5"

Not bad memory David...
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

63 x 88.5
Seems mighty small.
The factory brochures says 1570 X 2245

Ohh "inches", I'd forgotten about them :D :) :P :P :lol:
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Texas710 wrote:Just cause I'm a nice guy, I measured my 710M. Sorry to say, I grabbed a nice one out of Quartzsite AZ earlier this year.

Bed size is 63" x 88.5"

Not bad memory David...
710, 712, 716 and 718... Too many numbers to remember exact dimensions.. Sliight differences between K and M, cargo area of 710 and 716 , 712 and 718 are basically the same. Big difference in dimensions are the cabs between gassers and TDs (8").
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

There is also the option of buying a 712 M and an additional ambulance box that you can put on or take off depending on your need at the time. SAV usually has the Ambi boxes for around $800. Last time I was there, they had a few, since lot's of guys bought Ambulances that really wanted an M, so they didn't keep the box.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

One option I never pursued but always wanted to, was to build a light weight trailer and mount an amby box on it to pull behind the pinz. Some of the guys here in AZ are using the small mil trailers and mounting RTTs on them. Works well on the rougher trails and set up is very easy. A larger trailer would limit the trails but still would be kind of neat.
I am very pleased with the conversion to RV I have done with my 712 but with the arrival of 712K's the amby trailer camper just keeps coming up in my thoughts.
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

The UK customizer "Pinzmeister" built an ambulance trailer - he used two narrowed rear Ford transit axles which allow mounting of standard 710/712 Pinzgauer wheels - and since they are "drop" type axles (used on the front wheel drive Transits that are offered in Europe) the trailer was able to be mounted at the same level as on the 712AMBs - pretty slick:

He was able to put a haflinger in the trailer with the windshield folded.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Oh man if that was a 712K in the lead I would have thought I had died and gone to heaven.
Jake2015
United States of America

Post by Jake2015 »

Thanks to everyone for the discussion. Now it really comes down to personal opinions. If you could answer these two questions:

1. 710 or 712, and why

2. M or K, and why

Thanks again for letting me learn from your experience.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

712, more capable offroad and larger area to set up for RV, but the 710 is sportier (guess that is why several of us own more then one)

Really like the 712K's, not too big on the 710K but the M's provides more options for modifications.
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

The ultimate is the legendary 712DK like Scott at Expedition-Imports keeps teasing us all with... best of both worlds as you get the four doors and 5 forward facing seats but still have the open back and load carrying ability...

I wouldn't add the third roll bar at the back but would leave it more like a truck bed - similar to the 6x6 G-wagens:

Other than that - it just depends on your pockets and intended usage and the amount of upgrading you are willing to consider.