New member and soon to be Pinz owner (hopefully)

All things not relating to the other forums.
redman333

Re: New member and soon to be Pinz owner (hopefully)

Post by redman333 »

Expedition imports I really appreciate the specs. That helps tremendously. As for what I'm expecting, as a former active duty marine in a reconnaissance unit as a mechanic I'm aware of the condition military vehicles can be in. I don't plan on taking the vehicle very far out of my state.

I appreciate the warning on the auctions though. You are saying I could still get one though through you guys correct?
Location Wilmington NC, Looking for a TD Pinz. Also 712K Pinz to look at. If anyone in the remote area would be willing to show thiers off that'd be great. Send me a pm.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

If you are used to the condition of US surplus trucks, you'd be shocked at how nice most of this stuff is in general. It's not unusual to run into 40yo Pinzgauers that look more like 10 years old. I'd say most are far better than 90% of even moderately used HUMVEE's I've seen.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

In the current cycle we can pretty much get anything you want if not in stock and you can wait 3-4 months for the process of locating and transit. Currently holding inventory in Belgium in case we have East Coast buyers or additional units to fill out container. If we can cut down shipping costs and pass it along to the buyer we do. Seems silly to container ship to the West Coast and then truck ship back to the East. Really expensive with Unimogs.

As far as condition European surplus vehicles are surprisingly good if purchased straight from the military. You get an occasional POS but for the most part they are in good general overall condition. Yes we have seen vehicles in the auction process with the engines remove and sitting in the back of the truck but rare and noted by the military in documentation. Given your background you would have really enjoyed those Delta Group 718 Pinzgauers which were surplus-ed a couple years ago. There are still one or two floating around for sale in the secondary market but be cautious they were used by Delta Group and some had some hard miles put on them.

From what we have seen lately we would rather purchase a truck which spent the last 25 years in "active" service over some which have spent 6 months in the hands of a civilian. Have been amazed what owners will do to a vehicle in short order.

Don't get me wrong Pinzgauers are amazingly reliable if given a minimal level of maintenance for a 25+ year old vehicle. Have known owners who have taken trucks on trips of 2000 miles or more with not a single issue. You start pushing speed, weight, doing crazy rock crawling, or other activities of questionable mental competency along with a poorly maintained truck and things can unravel quickly. Two basic modifications from stock you would need to do from military spec are tires and ignition system upgrade everything else is pretty much comfort or specific application modifications. Those two are the biggest bang for the money. You do the basics and they are rock solid.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."