How difficult and expensive is it to paint your Pinz body?

All things not relating to the other forums.
Jake2015
United States of America

How difficult and expensive is it to paint your Pinz body?

Post by Jake2015 »

Has anyone painted their Pinz body? Any info on difficulty and expense is appreciated.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: How difficult and expensive is it to paint your Pinz bod

Post by TechMOGogy »

That is pretty wide open question...
repaint same color, different color, just outside or also inside, tape off most removable items or remove most items, body on or body off, etc etc
Sticking with same color should cost less but it also all depends on the condition of the body and paint your starting with and what you expect your finish to look like when your done.
Sorry for the lack of an answer but hard to provide one with info provided.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I go a bit on the less expensive side as I am scratching up the sides with bushes much too often. I buy my paint at WalMart,... Camo, OD rattle cans for $3.49 each and I keep a few on hand for those awkward moments. I can paint the entire pinz, inside and out for about $25. Usually do it one a year at least.
I did read a post about a guy that spent upwards of $5000 to paint his pinz.
Attachments
DSC02744.JPG
DSC02744.JPG (120.34 KiB) Viewed 5660 times
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
dadnova
United States of America

Post by dadnova »

I painted my 710K in my yard, cost me about $250 with sandpaper and being I had to buy a sprayer.

Turned out real nice, just can't seam to load pictures of it now??

Look up: Fresh coat of Paint on Pinz

It will show pics of it. However it was some work do, but cost was nothing really.
Jake2015
United States of America

Post by Jake2015 »

What if someone's wife tends to not like OD? If totally changing the color, perhaps to tan? Has anyone done that?
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I would think in AZ tan would be the best. The OD gets really hot to the touch. I painted my Mog desert sand as I spent lots of time in the SoCal desert.
I leave the pinz OD because here in CO it really doesn't matter. WalMart also has camo paint in sand color.
I know people that have pinzies in all colors...red, blue, white, tan, OD, black...the list goes on. Pick one your wife likes, it will be good for you..
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Walmart also carries tan camo Krylon spray cans. My truck has tan stripes. Scuff up the surface and go nuts. Works as well as their o.d. version.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

OD and Tan keep it military. Other colors 'civilianize' it.
Mine will be white and flat black
Spray cans $3-10
Good auto paint $200-700
All depends what you want
Jake2015
United States of America

Post by Jake2015 »

Has anyone painted the inside, or is it mostly and outside color change for those that change the color? Seems like it would be a much more difficult job to paint the interior.
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Painting depends on whether you are going for the pavement pounding princess or all around fun offroad camping Pinzgauer. Changing color can be tricky. Stay away from bright colors on the inside of a vehicle. Weird things can happen with people in vehicles with bright interiors as far as motion sickness. Most vehicle interiors are pretty muted in color.

Painting Pinzgauers can be as expensive as you want. Except for our corporate clients we recommend keeping it simple. You are never going to get that money back. Deal with any rust issues if you have any in the front door just under the windows and some of the other locations. No matter how much you grind and sand media blasting is best and metal etching primer does not hurt. Inside we usually recommend bedliner but that is expensive. Recommend staying away from any thing more than satin for paint finish. The body metal of a Pinzgauer was never intended to be a gloss paint Class A surface more like Class B. Don't really recommend blasting the entire truck, expensive, time consuming and value wise not your best option.

If you are going at it heavy deal with any cracks that show up on the nose from the clutch and brake pedal brackets.
Attachments
IMG_0738.JPG
IMG_0738.JPG (54.85 KiB) Viewed 5603 times
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I take a slightly different approach......Whilst I like the hard tracks, it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to damage your vehicle to get through.
Careful driving saves LOTS of damage (panel and paint)

So my recipe on the 712 (and the 718 I'm currently rebuilding) is:
Abrasive blast every surface, then epoxy coat it all and eventually two-pack undercoats and colour.
Two packs are hard and a straight colour, unlike a metallic with a clear coat, can be polished every now and again without fear of cutting through.

Mine has been on the road almost 20 years now and the paint is still shiny.......In August my niece is getting married and she wants to arrive at the church in the 712, so I'II put a bit of extra effort in and polish it up really well :D

Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

ExpeditionImports wrote:Painting depends on whether you are going for the pavement pounding princess or all around fun offroad camping Pinzgauer.
SNIP

Andre and a painter are doing mine. They are scuffing the OD and then will be shooting with a commercial Martin Señor paint. Key for me was the salt spray rating, chemical resistance and abrasion rating. This paint will stand up to acid and brake fluid with no degradation.
Once body is painted it will come off and we will do underneath in the same paint but flat and then move on to undercarriage. Inside gets heat and noise reduction spray and then black bedliner (front and back).
My Pinz has officially been dubbed...
"PINZESS"

But it will not just be a pavement pounder :mrgreen: Ontario has a lot of bush and that is what this is being built for.
So, again - all depends on what you want and need in terms of cost to paint.
nicholastanguma
United States of America

Post by nicholastanguma »

TechMOGogy wrote:
Andre and a painter are doing mine. They are scuffing the OD and then will be shooting with a commercial Martin Señor paint. Key for me was the salt spray rating, chemical resistance and abrasion rating. This paint will stand up to acid and brake fluid with no degradation.

Sounds like some blood awesome body armor paint. What kind, exactly, and what clearcoat from Martin Senour have such high salt spray, chemical, and abrasion resistance ratings?
Jorgo

Post by Jorgo »

Few yrs back, I got a quote from a good shop in san Diego that was in the 8k range for paint and powder coating the 100 plus pieces that make up the non-body parts ( cage, bumpers, top ribs, seat frames, etc etc. Needless to say- it's still OD.
Jorgo

24 TIRES
'73 712M
'74 712M
'04 G500
'07 Range Rover

"Those who were seen dancing
were thought to be insane
By those who could not hear the music"
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

nicholastanguma wrote: Sounds like some blood awesome body armor paint. What kind, exactly, and what clearcoat from Martin Senour have such high salt spray, chemical, and abrasion resistance ratings?
PRISM acrylic polyurethane single stage so no clear coat
It is part of their commercial product line
Paint.jpg
Paint.jpg (80.02 KiB) Viewed 5383 times
Then one of there Hardeners - discussed with the paint tech in Dallas
Hardener.jpg
Hardener.jpg (103.74 KiB) Viewed 5383 times