New member of the ITO Club

All things not relating to the other forums.
Jimm391730
United States of America

New member of the ITO Club

Post by Jimm391730 »

Well, it was just a little bit tired and had to lie down to take a short nap... only took two of us to push it back on its wheels and we were on our way again (minus the passengers who would rather walk!). :oops:
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Re: New member of the ITO Club

Post by Heinkeljb »

Hope you remembered to put the handbrake on! :lol:

John
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Must admit that's the reason I'm a big fan of 6X6 Pinny's......it's amazing how much extra stability those two additional wheels add in certain conditions.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Peter,

True, but it's still possible. Though in fairness, I was attempting to turn left and pivot the truck on it's left center tire while the right front was climbing an embankment a few feet high. We got to a point where I knew either the right front had to start downhill, or else the whole truck was going over to the left. A clear case of IBM (idiot behind machine).

Jimm,

Congrats, and Welcome to the club. Somewhere here there's a shot of me crouching under mine. I got it almost exactly that far over. But I had a load of Jeep-ers in the rear of mine, and they absolutely thought it was the best ride of the week. (Now where's that "head shaking in amazement" icon when I need it?) We flipped it back up, blew some oil smoke for a few seconds, and they all climbed back aboard to see if maybe it'd happen again. Go figure...

At least it provides a convenient method for inspecting the undercarriage. :lol:
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Yeah, there was a hard right turn into an uphill climb with a deep V erosion rut down the middle. I got the front axle well centered, but the left rear fell into the rut, lifted the right front (the saying "reach for the sky!" comes to mind!) which made the left front tire basically lie parallel with the slope and then it slid into the rut. It was a bit more than we all expected, but all happened gently. Thanks to Jim L.s work on my carbs, it idled, ran, stopped, started, while at that angle without any issues.

A 712M would be more stable (I'm amazed at how stable my 712W is for being 9 feet tall) but being longer, it would be even harder to properly hit the easiest line around that corner. Someday I'll trade the 710M for a 712M for these trips!

One of the passengers was a gal that we just met (and had just moved to our town the day before!) along with her 16 year old son (who took the photo). She said "when my 19 year old son comes around, we will have to do this again!" But generally everyone was laughing and smiling, despite the short truck nap.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
dadnova
United States of America

Post by dadnova »

The same spot I laid mine over.