2.7 liter info

All things not relating to the other forums.
idstitch

2.7 liter info

Post by idstitch »

Does anyone out there in Pinz land have an idea who built the 2.7 engine offered for sale by SAV? They couldn't provide any thing on it and I'm trying to find out who did it and what was done to it. Any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks.
rmel
United States of America

Re: 2.7 liter info

Post by rmel »

That motor was pulled from one of the abused Redbull Pinz's http://www.a2zfx.com/rbpinz.html.
I believe the machine shop work was done by Valley Head (valleyhead.com). I believe Jim L is still doing
this mod, if he does the work you know where the motor will be with high confidence when done :wink:
I had talked to Willie @ SAV about this motor, other than the compression -- which is excellent, he didn't
know the history on it's "tender loving care", or abuse :?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Don't know who built it or which truck it came out of.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

For a while (or possibly still) they had an old RB Pinzgauer for sale that was halfway through an engine swap. The old engine might have been included in the acquisition. The truck is a little rough so if the engine is anything like the truck, it may need going through.

Just personal opinion, if you're needing a new engine and can get this one for a decent price I think it would make an awesome candidate for a mild overhaul.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M
idstitch

Post by idstitch »

Thanks everyone. At present I'm looking at either cylinders and pistons and carb rebuilds or going all the way for a complete rebuild. Funds will dictate ultimately. Hopefully the heads are okay.
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Hi

Toss that link into Google translator http://www.classic-sue.com/ersatzteile/motor.html

They do full rebuilds, but sell parts, too

Another source is GUT in Switzerland http://www.pinzgauer.ch/en/pinzgauer_pa ... pinzgauers
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Always worth a shot to contact Scott too. I'm sure at minimum he could get you going in the right direction.
1977 Austrian 710M
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I've spoken to classic sue and gut last year and I'm not sure it's necessary to go to Europe for parts on this. Jim L. knows more about building a 2.7 than he types on these pages. Cylinders, pistons, cam, etc can all be had from US sources. Where in Idaho are you? Maybe we do 2 at the same time?
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
idstitch

Post by idstitch »

McCall Pinz, I'm north of Coeur D'Alene. Not sure if I'm ready for that kind of expense. We'll see what happens with bills over the next month or so.
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

After quite some time I have decided to get the kit from Classic S.u.E and rebuild my engine.
High oil consumption was the reason to start the work, and I said to myself, if I need new pistons, they might as well be a little larger.
I will document the progress and share my experiences.

The plan lists: 96mm pistons, cylinder head adaption to the bore, but no modification to valves, new camshaft and a lighter flywheel.
Disassembly starts next week; hoping to be back and running two weeks later.
Cheers
Albert
========================
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

96MM leaves the walls dangerously thin.
Beware, heat will be your enemy.
The larger the bore the greater wall clearances will be.
This is what caused the RB trucks to consume oil and shortened engine life.
Just advice from (expensive) personal experience.
By the way, the piston to wall clearance on the 96MM pistons is in excess of.008”
Stock clearance is .0015”
So it will rattle when cold.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Just to clarify, stock piston is cast, most aftermarket pistons are Forged and expand at different rates depending on bore diameter.
Also no mods are needed on the heads as the outer diameter of the cylinders remains the same unless custom cylinders are used. Only the bore changes.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

I had a engine done a time ago....went to first oversise from stock but i had the heads machiened ( 2mm ) was taken of so your compression got higher ...i think they are stock at 7.5 BAR.....boost it up to 9.5 Bar. Yust saying that theres a other way to get a higher compression :wink:
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Apologies to the community, the pictures fell victim to my grandaughter. She successfully got my mobile phone to a state only a complete wipe got me out...

Back to the topic:
I purchased 4 new cylinders from STec at 80€ each and took the to Classic Sue. Reinhard made me a good deal for a set of bespoke pistons and four new cylinder heads. He arranged for machining the cylinders; the heads were ready for installation. A new camshaft with modified timing and the necessary gaskets were added to the shopping list.
Clutch and pilot bearing were just 8000km, so they were not deemed needed....

I took out the engine end of June, and realized the pilot bearing fell apart. Furthermore the oil cooler was leaking, so back to shopping mode..
Finally after a week the engine was rebuilt, but I had agreed with Reinhard not to install or start it before he checked ignition and carburettor setting and jetting.

The engine had been out in 2018 and I still have the test-bed made from an old Pinz center tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71A3ZHKUDEg

But Reinhard insisted on using the whole exhaust....

I loaded the set on a trailer and drove to Classic Sue for the agreed tuning and blessing.
The engine was reinstalled to the truck a few days later and has done about 3500 km since.
I have attended the 50 years of Pinzgauer treffen in Voitsberg /Graz and after that m son and his girlfriend took the truck for a two weeks trip to southern Tyrol.
No issues at all, no oil consumption and a lot of fun.

Last week I came past a 712M of the army, we drove side to side on the motorway, and I could hear the army truck rattle at top speed around 85. I won't forget the driver's face when I stepped down and left him behind doing more than 120. New speedometer is top of the next item list :-)
Cheers
Albert
========================