Pinz as a "light camper" conversion?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

melensdad

Pinz as a "light camper" conversion?

Post by melensdad »

How many of you guys have done camper type interior conversions to your Pinz?

One of the things I find attractive about the Pinz is its reasonably small size and while I don't want to do a full camper conversion, I am thinking of something along the lines of a VW Westfalia/Eurovan type camper conversion with seats that fold into a bed, a small cook area only the basics in terms of refrigeration, etc.

And very possibly a pop-up roof like the VW

If any of you have photos of your work, especially the interiors, I'd really appreciate seeing them to gain some ideas.

:D
If you are interested in antique tracked snow vehicles, visit here: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Post by 2012 »

last week i finally found someone who's willing to do a poptop and new rear wall with door on my amb box - phoenix camper south of boulder - refered to me by outfitter camper, who, along with hallmark there are unwilling to do custom work. i can fwd the email i got back from phoenix if you'd like. they seem to be good ppl and very up to the job.

i've been throwing all sorts of ideas around in my head and on this bb. i just bought a new bosch saw today so it looks like it's getting close to my start date.

i still could use plenty of ideas too, but some things are now set in stone:

(2) 125w solar panels in series - kyocera
(2) 4d agm batteries instead of the pinz starter batteries - mk
3kw true sinewave 24vdc to 120vac inverter - prosine/xantrex
24vdc to 12vdc converter/battery equalizer - solar converters eq 12/24 - 20
(2) fully automatic roof vents (3-speed, not pwm controlled) - fantastic vents
recaro expert m driver seat
(2) front sidewall cab vents common on later pinz's - sav
melensdad

Post by melensdad »

I live near several companies that build travel trailers and motorhomes, most are willing to do custom jobs as well so if I go with a pop up, I'll be using them because they are nearby. But I would be very interested in hearing more about your plans for an interior configuration for the rear compartment. Have you considered an air conditioner or are you confident the solar vents will provide enough circulation to keep things cool in the summer? It is hot in my area and I don't see the ability to just use fans/vents when the sun is beating down, the air temps are 90+ and the humidity is high (but then again, your climate may not have those conditions).
If you are interested in antique tracked snow vehicles, visit here: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Post by 2012 »

ever since my 1st burningman, i've been sleeping in my 1990 suburban that i've turned into a camper. i use my house as a shop only. i'm in orlando. my vents are angled at 55deg and 35deg (they both point at me from either end of the roof when i'm lying in bed). the front one is open with fan sucking out whenever i'm not driving. the rear one is always open with fan off. all summer here there wasn't a night that i could get away with having nothing on me as a cover. fresh air all night keeps me PLENTY cool. i'll never need to run an ac unit at night. in the morning when the sun kicks in my truck reflects piles of heat but i have resorted to turning on the rear fan a few mornings that i didn't get out of bed till late and the temp got to be over 90. at burningman the one 12v panel does fine running both fans all day and the (2) 6 volt deep cycle trojan t105 batteries lasted fine all night as well.

ac would definitely be awesome for the pinz cab while driving. this bb went all around it a little bit ago. wabasto has (3) 24v units that look gr8. ac mfg companies are about to go into high gear developing efficient battery powered ac compressors - just what we need. i would love a dc powered ac unit but they cost BANK right now. my solution for no ac in my pinz is having a towel in the cab at all times and one in my ac'd office for when i arrive in the morning.

melensdad - i could use more names of companies who do poptops and rv's and trailers and are willing to take on a custom order!
melensdad

Post by melensdad »

The best place to find the camper companies that will do custom work is to visit them, there are literally a dozen of them that do that in Elkhart county, Indiana. But you really have to drive in and talk to them.
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

This is a rough idea of the interior layout I will be using for my camper conversion.

It is setup for solo camping, with mass storage areas for equipment. The exterior is still being worked out but it will be a hard top and a combination of hard and soft sides to provide air flow through. This will be surrounded with a exo skeleton with external storage on top.

Miles
Last edited by milesdzyn on Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 2012 »

another awesome drawing! i'm thinking it would be nice to convince miles to post more drawings somewhere - maybe photobucket? myspace?

one thing i discovered: there's a type of foam rubber called "high resiliency foam" (also called "gold foam") that's amazingly comfortable to sleep on, far beyond any futon. bed mfr's don't use it only because it's so expensive. my 48 x 80 x 4 piece cost me $232 at the local upholstery shop. i told my chiropractor what i use and he says that's what he recomends. also, down here (and in hawaii), black mold loves cotton and doesn't love this foam.
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

I saw this for sale a while back on ebay.de, thought it was a nice layout for a weekend camper.

Only things that I don't like are the Table, it has to go or be changed for function. And the bed should have the front rail removed, then lowered to the top of the side bench so it is at a height to be used as a seating area.

Here's a link to more camper stuff:

http://pinztrek.com/trek/trek.htm

Hope these give you some ideas, Miles

Post by 2012 »

here's a 712amb site for you:

http://www.4x4crosslander.net/pinzgauer.htm
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

The light camper is exactly what I'm doing with my 710k. First I decided to go for more of a tent on wheels, rather than mobile home. Also I want to be able to put it all back as original to sell (if that ever happens). I'll soon update my website with the modifications (http://www.bagstraining.co.uk) but briefly its got just one of the three seats in the back, space for a full size single bed beside that, and a half width table in place of the original one. Storage is under the bed and behind the seat in the back. No fridge and I just use a backpacking stove, gas or meths to cook on. Entry is through the left back door, the right one still opens but the bed is there.
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

The light camper is exactly what I'm doing with my 710k. First I decided to go for more of a tent on wheels, rather than mobile home. Also I want to be able to put it all back as original to sell (if that ever happens). I'll soon update my website with the modifications (http://www.bagstraining.co.uk) but briefly its got just one of the three seats in the back, space for a full size single bed beside that, and a half width table in place of the original one. Storage is under the bed and behind the seat in the back. No fridge and I just use a backpacking stove, gas or meths to cook on. Entry is through the left back door, the right one still opens but the bed is there.
melensdad

Post by melensdad »

ScottishPinz . . . I would love to see more of your "light camping" conversion as you complete it. I really liked the desk idea, that is great. I figured if I got a 710K that I would remove it completely, but I think I like your solution is much better.

BTW, on your website the comparision you made by overlaying the photos of the Pinz onto the Land Rovers was brilliant!