To Hel and Back

All things not relating to the other forums.
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

To Hel and Back

Post by ScottishPinz »

Well I just thought I'd share my "big trip" plans... Scotland to Belgium by ferry, driving through Belgium, The Netherlands and through Germany to Poland, exploring Poland for a week (including a visit to Hel in the north!) then return. Hope to find some tracks and wee lanes to explore along the way. Camping in the truck (710K) or staying in cheap motels etc along the way. Any Pinz owners on this forum from Poland?

I'd welcome any suggestions for places to visit, roads to drive along the way.

I hope to make a short film of the trip.

Philip
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

O.K. Many reads....
I'll reply.
I am green with envy!!!! To me this would be a trip of a lifetime! Sounds like I should be making up for lost time... :lol:
Hope all goes well and share the pics!
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
AK NIMROD

Post by AK NIMROD »

YES THIS SOUNDS LIKE A WONDERFUL TRIP GOOD LUCK BE SURE TO WRITE A TRAVEL LOG UPON YOUR RETURN.
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Well got back today, visited Belgium, France, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Czech, Slovakia but couldn't get into Russia as didn't have a visa! I have nearly 1000 photos and 6 hours of video to edit, will post some pics on my website in the next few days. Covered over 4500 Km. Truck ran fine except seemed to need about a litre of oil per 1000 Km. Drove some really nice forest tracks although nothing too extreme. Will post more details when I have time.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Compared to your adventures the SWPA trefffen would seem small time,and it was great!!! 8) 8) It must be nce to have so many countries / cultures so close! :D :D I personally can't wait for the vids and pics!
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

OK well I'm still editing the video which I may make available as a DVD!
There are a few pics now on my website, mainly with the truck in (most of these are video stills so low res) http://www.bagstraining.co.uk

Sailing from Rosyth near Edinburgh we landed Zebrugge and drove through Belgium into Holland. Stopped over night in the truck and then drove through Germany (all roads at this stage) visiting the VW museum in Wolfsburg. That evening after an hours delay crossing the border we entered Poland and drove into the forests in the dead of night to find a spot to park up. Next morning drove some roads which were no more than tracks then headed south / east to Katowice where my girlfriends mum lives. Had a rest day visiting the town then headed south stopping at Auschwitz. We then crossed into Czech and over the mountains into Slovakia, finally going back into Poland and heading north. Stopped in a small woodland somewhere west of Warsaw.

Next day headed north to the Russian border spending the afternoon driving through some tiny forest trails and just abut managing not to get lost! That night after a fantastic meal in a Polish restaurant we parked up again in woodland watching the moon and stars. Next day hit traffic jams in Gdansk before reaching Hel mid-afternoon. Explored the bunkers and fortifications both second world war and cold war then headed back to the Polish / German border. On re-entering Germany we again left the tarmac and explored the woods as the sun went down! Next day we visited the museum of the old east / west border, and finally headed west into Belgium again. To finish we drove into France for our final breakfast before catching the ferry home!! :D
mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

Great photos. Sounds like your K did good by you. How I yearn for the continent. We have good friends that live on a small farm in the Sauerland of Deutschland. Your pictures make we want to hop the pond for a visit. It has been 2 years and there is only a slight chance of getting there this year.

Thanks for the inspiration. I liked your "extreme lean" from one of your earlier outings :lol: . Keep the pictures coming and let us know where you were with each picture. :D
Sam
'71 710K