Hi-Lift Jack

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Hi-Lift Jack

Post by ScottishPinz »

Just got a hi-lift for my birthday, wondering where you can jack a pinz, guessing the front bumper is fine, probably need the adapter for tubular bumpers for the rear. Any advise or tips welcome... anyone used one as a hand winch etc.

Thanks in advance :lol:
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I could be wrong, but I don't think a hi-lift jack is the way to raise a Pinzgauer. Use a floor jack under the differential or axle, and support with good jack stands. I don't trust lifting that much weight by the bumper, and stability might be in question because of the height you would have to raise the vehicle to. I am only talking about tire changing.
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Point taken, I wouldn't use it for a routine tire change but surely there is a lot of other uses, I see some of you have them attached to your trucks, I guess they are not just for show!!!
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

We use the Hi-Lift jacks on occassion when on the trails. They have been used to stabalize a truck when putting a tire back on the rim and to lift the trucks when in the sand dunes and of course the most popular to help the jeep crowd out of trouble. I have not used the Hi-Lift as a winch with the pinz though it was a common practice when I had a jeep. The only time I have used it on the pinz when at the house was to lift the body to put stands under it. I still think the Hi-lift is a very useful tool offroad when used properly.
I have mine mounted to the front where the antenna tubes bolt on. If you have the 48" Hi-Lift, you will need to get the 60". The 48" lift just does not work on the Pinz.
My 2cents
Mike
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I've got a high lift jack, but I must say I've never used it in anger at least on the Pinny.
While I do carry an array of recovery gear and tools in/on the Pinny, it's usually unpacked to recover the other types of vehicles that accompany us on our trips :wink: :roll:
I have used the high lift to jack up the rear of a Hilux that dissapeared down a hole, so we could put some "stuff" under the wheels.........However another time when the front left wheel of "a different" Hilux dissapeared in a deep rut and the corresponding / diagonal rear right wheel came off the ground we found a VERY LARGE man/bystander :D standing on the tailgate did the same job :)
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Where under a pinz is it stong enough to take the jack?
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I don't think the underside would be good for the jack as it would be exposed to all sorts of debris. Example,try to find the shovel after a serious mud/snow outing! :x
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

no! I wasn'tthinking of carrying it there, more thinking of jacking points! :D
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

DOH! :oops: I misunderestimated my reading abilities! :? I find that the lip under the rub rail is pretty stout,put something between the jack and lip if you're concerned with scratches.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

I've jacked mine :lol: under the rear tube bumper multiple times with no issue. I have a Expedition Imports front bumper that holds the Pinz up just fine, I'm not sure about the bumperettes strength.

Pinzinator and a couple of others raise a good point regarding stability. I have a stand that attatches to the bottom of the high-lift to make it more stable. However, nothing will be more stable than a good floor jack, or if changing the tire on flat ground, a decent bottle jack.

The main thing that the high-lift gives you is the flexibility of being able to use it on uneven ground with relative stability, while still being able to raise a vehicle high enough to change the tire.

BEWARE, do not stand directly over or in front of a high-lift handle while lifting or lowering the vehicle. I got a nasty concussion a few years ago when my old high lift wasn't completely engaged, and smacked me so hard in the side of the head I was knocked out in my garage for about 10 minutes.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com