Texas Contingent to the RMP treffen in 2009?

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
andy

Texas Contingent to the RMP treffen in 2009?

Post by andy »

Don't want to steal Texas Pinzgauer's thread on Big Bend 2009. Any thoughts on getting a Texas contingent together to go to the RMP Treffen in July next year? Temperatures in Colorado are much nicer up there in July than they are in Texas.

Just food for thought.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

Colorado in July sounds great Andy but my tow vehicle will be in Saratoga Springs, NY.

The BBNP trip works (for me) as I can trailer the Pinz out there and travel at reasonable highway speeds. If I went to the RMP event in Colorado in July, I'd have to leave tomorrow to get there in time!
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
andy

Post by andy »

My highway speed coming back from picking up the 712 was dictated by how fast the 710 could go. 50-57 mph wasn't too bad. Total driving time was actually about 16 or 17 hours and that mainly because we didn't leave from Colorado until about noon and we had pretty heavy rains all the way to the New Mexico line.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Andy
We have made the last 4 RMP treffens and plan on being there for the '09 treffen. It is always a good time. If there is anyway you can swing it, you will have a good time. Just be prepared for rain :lol: I met one of your TX people (Pittman) there some years ago but he has not been doing as much with his pinz lately.
The '09 Treffen I believe is their 10th annual.

Hope you all can make it.
Mike
andy

Post by andy »

Mike, depending on when in July it is, fuel prices, etc. we are hoping to go. When you told us that there was a hotel/motel close to Leadville fot this year's Treffen, the wife's attitude became a little more positive. She liked Colorado, but she will not go out in public without her makeup. :roll: Don't ask me why cuz I'd be the last person on earth to understand it. So the tent thing is out at least for her. I hope wherever they make it this year a motel/hotel will be close.

We all have rain suits and right now the wipers are at least moving back and forth on both Pinzes. :o

I just think it would be cool to get 6 or 7, or more, Pinzgauers from Texas to go up there and meet the folks.

Then the crucial decision would be.....710 or 712....710 or 712? Tough call. :lol:

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
ka

Post by ka »

damn - i wish i had to decide between to vehicles like that.

why not turn your 712 into a super comfy camper?
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Andy
Each year there has been some sort of hotel/cabin near Treffen central. You need to get in touch with them and find out when and where as sometimes they book up fast. The hotel thing last year really made it easy to travel and not have to pack all the camping gear.

I have to admit it was nice not having to set up camp. :)

Last year I took my 710 just for fun and ease of towing. Sure missed my 712 though.
Mike
andy

Post by andy »

ka wrote:damn - i wish i had to decide between to vehicles like that.

why not turn your 712 into a super comfy camper?
Cuz then I'd have to pull all that super comfy stuff out of it to have room to haul 60 firty pound bags of deer protein or corn when I got back. With both the Pinzes and the trailer I have the capability to deliver up to 3 1/2 tons of bagged feed even in wet weather which I didn't have before.

I'm blessed in a way. There isn't a great deal of public land or public roads in Texas to just go "wheeling" on. But with the terrain I have out here and the different ranches I feed, I get to go wheeling at least 2 or 3 times a week. Compared to the toughest part of the Big Bend trip last year, the Black Gap trail, most of my ranch roads are more of a challenge. That's not really saying alot when you compare it to places like Moab or some of the trails SWPA gets to go.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
andy

Post by andy »

Mike, I look at their website at least once a week. I'm here everyday and usually check the SWPA site daily too.

I've got an email address for Darren somewhere. I'll probably start bugging them for info sometime after Christmas or New Years. I'm not sure if they have anything specific yet.

The hotel thing would come in handy for momma. That way if she wants to miss a ride she can veg in comfort or go spend money.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here