New brake pads won't fit?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

michaelh712

New brake pads won't fit?

Post by michaelh712 »

OK, I'm sure I'm missing something simple here, so I appeal to the experience of the board.
I replaced a rear hub seal on my 712 (no problem) and needed to replace the rear shoes as well. New shoes (EI) went on one side no problem, but on the other side I couldn't get the drum on. I camfered the leading edge of the new shoes, with a little better luck, but I'd have to pound the drum on then the wheel would not turn whatever I did.
- Not the adjuster, as I had it all the way loose
- Not the cylinder, as it was adjusted all the way in
- Checked the old shoe with the new and they are identical, except for the new lining of course
- Checked, re-checked and checked again the installation of the different parts, and every time they are installed perfectly.

WHAT AM I MISSING?

Thanks,
Michael
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Are the shoes on in the right direction? Could also be a stuck wheel cylinder not retracting :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Wheel cylinder not stuck and moves freely. Pads assembled according to photos in the repair book; tab towards the cylinder, notch holding the adjuster nut facing upwards.
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Hi Guys,

Measure your drum diameter and your shoe thickness. Then compare to the manual. My guess is that your one drum has been turned and the other has not. If you only ordered shoes and not drums, then you would have been supplied with the thicker linings expecting the drum to be turned for the brake job.

Cheers,

Scott Ingham
Expedition Imports
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Thanks Scott, makes sense. Yes, I did just order new shoes from EI, and the drum is a year old, but has never been turned.
What do I need to do to have the drum "turned"? Take the drum and pads to a machine shop? What should I ask for; never done this before.
thanks
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
ka

Post by ka »

seems weird to have to turn a new drum to fit new pads that are designed for each other. is that normal?
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I take the shoes to a shop locally and have them relined. The first set I had made to fit a used drum. We have to take a little off the ends of the pads (small amount to match the inside drum radius) with a belt sander to get them to fit the newer drums. Now I have the pads fitted by the brake shop to an average drum and they have all been fitting nicely.
Mike
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Oh yes, the old belt sander trick; worked like a charm.
The new pads had more material closer to the ends of the pads and taking some off did the trick.

Thanks Mike!
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
Douwe

Post by Douwe »

I guess that's why I think its a good idea to bring both the shoes and the drums to a shop to have the shoes relined and to make sure that the radii of the shoes and drums match.

The braking power is already not that good, so I want to make sure I get the maximum performance out of the system.

-Douwe