Intercom suggestions?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

OhioPinz

Intercom suggestions?

Post by OhioPinz »

I've used British Clansman systems on armor vehicle with great success, but am open to suggestions for a Pinz? U.S. VIC-1, anyone have a good source? Other suggestions?
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I've got a VIC-1 from my Pinz which I'm willing to part with. It worked well, but it's illegal here in Wisconsin (surprise, surprise!) so I don't ever use it.
It's got the main box and two stations with the appropriate power and audio cables. I've also got three headsets, but IIRC one ear pad got lost.
I got the main box from CWR and the other parts from ebay and other suppliers.
Paul
608 437-3465
alanh

Post by alanh »

I don't remember the exact wording, but in Washington state headphones or other things covering the ears seem to be illegal too as far as I can tell.

I assume the theory is they want you to be able to hear sirens and such on emergency vehicles.

My Volvo is loud on the highway, so I've resorted to ear plugs instead since they're less conspicuous. I'm not sure if I'd be cited if ever stopped for some reason but I'm not going to risk any more ear damage than I have to. I'd prefer the ear muffs or something more comfortable than ear plugs although I don't think they're that much more effective than a good set of plugs.

Of course, I think that one could make a rational argument that if your vehicle is so noisy you need headphones to communicate with your passengers you probably couldn't hear a siren anyway. One might also argue that hearing protection should be legal because if you don't wear it, you'll eventually go deaf and not be able to hear sirens and horns in your other cars either!

Alan
Alan
jx3

Post by jx3 »

Hi
I'm using an aviation intercom that I bought used on Ebay its small has jacks for four headsets and works well. Its voice activated and has an audio input for a stereo it also has inputs for a two way radio.
John
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Thanks for again reminding me how lucky I am. I have a really quiet pinz and can easily talk at 55mph + with my passenger, even if they are sitting in the back its not too hard!

Is it tyre noise, transmission noise, wind noise or just them all together that makes your trucks so noisy?
ka

Post by ka »

scottish - what is diff about your pinz? could you describe it? it's a 710k?
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

My Pinz is 1976 710k, I have insulated it but it was quiet even before. The engine/fan/transmission causes most of the noise but its not a lot, at slow speeds you can almost not hear it, great for sneaking around in woodland.
ka

Post by ka »

do you have any interior pix availble?
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
jx3

Post by jx3 »

My 710K is actually not that noisy know, I put 3/4" rubber matting on the floor and I made custom bench seats in the back with very high back rests. I have two upholstered panels that I store strapped inside to the ceiling that I can put into the seating arrangement in the back that makes it in to a large bed for my wife and I. All this interior upholstery helps a lot in sound reduction. The matting was from a farm supply they are stall mats for horses, reasonably priced and very heavy.
John
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Ka
pics (loads of) on my website
http://www.bagstraining.co.uk/Pinzgauer.html
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

alanh wrote:I don't remember the exact wording, but in Washington state headphones or other things covering the ears seem to be illegal too as far as I can tell.

I assume the theory is they want you to be able to hear sirens and such on emergency vehicles.
I'd be willing to test this one.... with the VIC-1 the headset's have noise cancelling mic's which can be keyed on as needed or locked on. We can hear siren's no problem, yet the engine/tire/gear noise is much reduced.

In fact, you can even hear the siren's better as they are not reduced by the noise cancelling mic's. It's noise coming from both sides of the mic which is reduced. So ambient noise is lower, but sirens are amplified

I've had cops look & give a friendly wave without stopping, I guess they assume since it looks OEM it's OK.

I've got all the info needed to plumb civilian radios into vic-1's, etc if interested. The AM-1780's are getting harder to find, but Patrick used to have them.

have fun,

Alan
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

If you are not into a military intercom the ones from AVCOMM work well. 800 845 7541 in Ca. Been using this system in my pinz for a years with great success. I have six headsets adn the built in model. I mounted it in the overhead console. The system will accept a 1/8 plug inlet for things like Ipods and DVD player audio input. I went htis route as I could get a system that was guaranteed and was easily available.

Most states have laws governing headsets so you will have to check your local laws. I have never been given a hard time about mine but then the cops generally don't bother the pinzies here.

I also looked into the intercomms for motorcycles. These are a great way to go if you are just concerned about you and your navigator. These systems can be had for as low as $150.
Mike