Front Springs

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Middlebury_Pinz
United States of America

Post by Middlebury_Pinz »

Hey, did you steal my old spring perches :) I had a set just like those!!
krick3tt

spring cups

Post by krick3tt »

Pinzinator,

After reading your post I thought I would check your theory.

The hole that the turn fastener goes into is directly over the spring cup but only on the co-driver side. There is a drain hole in the gusset, mine was blocked with undercoater. Once I cleared the hole lots of rust dust came out. Inserted liberal amounts of WD40.
On the driver side I removed about 300 cc of wqter (before I knew there were a drain holes, as I did this one first) but this hole is located to the rear of the limiting strap and not over the spring cup. Also liberal amounts of WD40 into the hole.

Thanks for the tip.

Morris
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Morris, I practically fill both sides with engine oil every year or two. The oil eventually works its way down into everything you don't want to rust out, especially all of the front welds and suspension. I'm surprised this isn't part of the Swiss Army maintenance program.
I use WD-40 along all of the mating seams every year. Eventually it will works its way into the seam. If you can eliminate oxygen you have prevented rust, period! Oil and WD-40 do the rust prevention trick with regular use. Wipe off the excess or you will have a cruddy mess in time.
Use WD-40 on your weatherstripping every 6 months and you will never have to replace it. As an added bonus, the doors shut better. This takes 5 minutes or 1 beer. Beer is cheaper than weather strip, so do it tomorrow.
By the way, I live in a dry climate like Phoenix.