bumped the upper corner of the winshield frame, bend back?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

audiocontr
United States of America

bumped the upper corner of the winshield frame, bend back?

Post by audiocontr »

I smacked a tree limb on the absolute top passenger corner of windshield surround. It cracked the winshield in 2 places and bent back the corner about 2 inches. I was able to use my feet and press it forward enough to get the horizontal bar above the door back in and drive her home.

Now that it has a little bend to it, im nervous of putting new glass in and it cracking again. How can i bend it back without doing more damage?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Take it off and square it up on a flat surface, metal is a workable thickness :wink:
Use wood blocks and a 2 lb hammer to help put it back square. Measure corner to corner to verify opening dimensions before replacing glass.
Now is the time to get tinted glass(much cooler) :twisted:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
ka

Post by ka »

audio - you should post some before, in-process and after pix!
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I have built replacement windshield frames when they got too far gone. Not as easy as fixing the stocker.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The easiest way to make sure a frame is " in plane", is with 2 strings run tightly diangonally from corner to corner. Where the strings cross should just barely touch, if there is a gap, a corner need to be bent down, or if they touch before one end is touching a corner, then bend up. Of course, each side of the frame must be straight also.

Glass in forgiving ...to a point, then it let you know when you gone too far. :shock:
I've used this technic for many years on windows and door frames, and door themselves'..... basic geometry

Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Found a guy that has done them in the past. Wants $350 to cut new glass and install it. Stupid expensive in the DC metro area...
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hmmmm....guess it's time to raise my price by 150%..
:lol: :lol: :lol:
And I thought the government was the only ones raping people in DC.

Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Dave, That's close to the price I was quoted for non tinted glass. When I asked for tinted glass on the front windshield the reply (Not sure its legal) never looked never quoted. Some times service around here sucks. Some auto parts are easier to just get out of Oklahoma.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I had a similar thing happen to me a few years back....embarrasing, but I ran into a large tree branch which overhangs my driveway :oops:

It bent back the top left hand corner of the frame and buckled the rod that runs between the frame and the roll-bar.
As luck would have it the glass was undamaged as the force of the blow was on the metal frame so the glass simply "peeled" out of the rubber at the corner ......amazing stroke of luck.

Later I carefully removed the glass, and with the aid of the press, heating torch and panel beaters tools, I "massaged" the frame back into the correct shape. From memory I tig'd a few "tags" onto the concave sections of panel damage so I could use a slide hammer to pull them back.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Erik
I am getting a new quote to have another run of tinted windshields made, and we will see how much things have gone up in the last 3 years :!: :?: I hadn't realized that it has been that long since my first run of these. :shock: I have obligated myself to a couple of new windshields at my old price, no matter what this run cost ( and I will cutting them from my existing inventory of glass, anyhow).

I am also surpsised by the lack of knowledge on autoglass laws, by some autoglass shops :roll: . The DOT standards are what is required for all 50 states, but some states/law enforcement agencies do not enforce some some portions of the law...namely tinting UPON the glass is illegal on the windshield and front door glasses.

I wonder if Wisconsin DMV would accept a Pinz with my DOT approved glass ? :lol:

Dave

btw, I still have a few sets of tinted door glass for Ms and Ks

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Well, I got my new quote on tinted windshields for the 710/12s.... price went up about 11%, but it is still less than half the price mentioned above.
I'll post new prices in the classified section.

Dave