Backfire

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

andy

Backfire

Post by andy »

What causes it? My 712 has decided it wants to start backfiring now if I'm going down hill and using compression as a break. It does it when I'm in 5th at highway speeds and the limit changes and I take my foot off the gas. Some of the backfires like going down a hill in a low gear are fairly muted, but others like the ones a highway speed sound like a gunshot.

The only thing that has changed is I put in the Champion sparkplugs Jim warned about on the yahoo site. That's all NAPA had.

The weird thing is that the engine still has "normal" power. Loss of power is what caused me to change the plugs. And strange as it seems, the gas mileage has gone up from 11 mpg (old normal) to about 14 to 15 mpg.

Something isn't right here, but I don't know enough to begin to have a clue.

What could it be and what can be done to eliminate the back firing.

Thanks,

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
pinzdriver

Andy

Post by pinzdriver »

First check for air leaks in the exhaust system and i have used champion spark plugs for years in my 712. :D
tony in az 73 pinz 6X6
pinzdoctor is the name,pinz repair is the game!
andy

Post by andy »

Thanks Tony, I'll get under it this weekend. I have a brake light to replace too. Hopefully it won't be 108 degrees like it was today.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Mine was doing exactly what you describe. I replaced the muffler and added a longer tail-pipe and it went away.

It was pretty exciting coming back from Yellowstone at night with that bright flash and "boom". I thought for sure the Rangers would be all over me. "That old army truck is shooting at the buffalo!" :roll:
1973 712M
ARVOps

Post by ARVOps »

It’s most likely an exhaust leak. It’s very common. Mine has the same problem. I have just been too lazy to fix it.
sold 712AMB/M 2.7L Goatwerks Power! UglyDuck living the life in Alaska :(
I am pinzless.
I'm at Poway Jeep If you all need a hook up on a Cummins, Hemi, Or a Jeep. PM me.
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

My gunshot-sounding-engine-breaking-backfiring-problem was an exhaust leak. After fixing the leak (with a flexpipe upgrade) it has never backfired again.
andy

Post by andy »

Thanks guys. Man, I don't wanna lay on the ground when it is 108 outside, but I guess I will have to Sunday. I hope that's all it is.

Yeah, yeah, do it early before it gets that hot. Problem is I need all the light I can get. Burned my knee, through the jeans, today kneeling while I was putting some pipe in around a pump on a ranch. At least there was a breeze.

Thanks again.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
ka

Post by ka »

think how "not 40 below zero" it is.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Denis

Post by Denis »

Good day Andy

Might be a good thing to check those studs at the cylinder head and the exhaust manifold. Those become loose quite often and I had mine doing just like yours and it was the place the leak was from...

Have a good one while doing it and think of us here where the weather hasn't been over 70 for the past mounth.:roll:

Denis 8)
andy

Post by andy »

I'll be sure to look from the engine back. If the muffler isn't messed up already I'm sure the backfires aren't doing it any good.

I'm not really complaining about the heat, because I know in December there will be days when I would give just about anything for 30 minutes of it. Just like I do now about the cold. :lol:

Thank you

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Andy wrote: Man, I don't wanna lay on the ground when it is 108 outside

Andy
Easy - wait until it is 120 F!!! :D

-Evan
andy

Post by andy »

Evan, I've experienced that only once or twice, back in the day, when I worked in Presidio, Texas. That's a young people temp. If it hits 120 here I will be very slow moving if I go outside at all these days. We've hit 116 here a few years back and I would imagine the way I felt was sorta the way a potato feels in the oven as it bakes. But, that iced down beer sure goes down easy when a day like that is done.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here