Installing windshield to cowel gasket

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

todds112

Installing windshield to cowel gasket

Post by todds112 »

Gasket...Check

3M Black Weatherstrip adhesive...Check

Should I glue the gasket to the cowl, or the gasket to the windshield frame? Mine was glued to both which doesn't make sense if you ever want to fold it down.

Also how do you apply the glue to the surfaces? Fingers? Popsicle sticks?
1973 712M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The gasket would have been originally fastened to the bottom of the frame . I doubt if it had any adhesive.. The Swiss Pinzes were never intended to have their windshields fold, and came without the brackets to hold it off the lamp guards... many came with a flat anchoring plates on the inside, instead of the folding clip.
Sooo, any additional sealant was added to combat drafts .... my old 710 had it's heater valve sealed with baling wired to eliminate air leak.

On applying the sealant, just squeeze a bead out of the tube onto the frame , smearing it with the nozzle....follow the instructions on the tube regarding whether it is applied tacky, or how? Some are different.

You don't need to cover the whole surface... you aren't setting tile :wink:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

When I installed mine it fit so tight I didn't even bother to put on the adhesive. I don't really know if it's needed or not but I suppose it couldn't hurt. Well, except for the guy who has to take it off :)

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

pcolette wrote:When I installed mine it fit so tight I didn't even bother to put on the adhesive. I don't really know if it's needed or not but I suppose it couldn't hurt. Well, except for the guy who has to take it off :)

Paul
Paul, I didn't ether and after four years it's looking like it needs replaced. I guess i'm glade I didn't
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

I have the factory one on my truck. it had adhesive on the bottom and stuck to the body. I have also found other types with self adhearing strips that fastened to the bottom of the frame.
You can use 3M self adhesive weatherstrip if you wish although it will be flat on both sides(no raised moulded bulb).
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
todds112

Post by todds112 »

I ended up gluing the strip to the truck. 3M adhesive works really well. Doesn't seem to be the most durable material. My old strip had turned brittle and was "eroded" away back to the seam. I'll try to keep some 303 Protectant on the new one and see how long it lasts.
1973 712M