Upper Door Frames. Different versions?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

todds112

Upper Door Frames. Different versions?

Post by todds112 »

Took a look at JacksonPinz's truck the other day. His door tops look like brand new. They have nice rounded corners (inside the window frame) with rolled beads.

Mine are squared off and are simply flat steel strips welded together. Is the more "refined" version just a later production, or spec'ed by a customer (Austrian Vs. Swiss, Etc.)? Sure wish they would have replaced the ones on my truck when they did the rest of the body.

I did get mine stripped, primed, painted and a couple rust pin-holes filled. Replaced all the window channel and weatherstripping. Whew, that was a job. After a few rains, I found I don't have water running down the inside of the doors anymore.
1973 712M
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Mine are much like yours. Nothing fancy at all.

I'm curious what people do with their door tops for convenient (and innovative) stowage solutions. Usually i toss them into a second car. It would be nice to mount them on the side or the rear.
todds112

Post by todds112 »

I can't remember who, but I have seen pics of a rack that mounted them vertically right behind the driver's door. Looked like a nice idea.
1973 712M
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I remove mine in April, along with all of the canvas, and store everything indoors. In November I get everything out of storage and put it back on the Pinz.
The canvas gets cleaned and oiled before I put it away. That's just the cab portion, the rear canvas has never been installed.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

There are 3 different door top versions due to design changes. These changes ruduced cracking when they went to rounded corners.
4 versions if you count the Austrian soft door tops :o
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Only three types. :( Guess I can stop looking for the power window tops. :lol:
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

todds112 wrote:I can't remember who, but I have seen pics of a rack that mounted them vertically right behind the driver's door. Looked like a nice idea.
Think it was MIke Nims? Were has he been any way?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

todds112 wrote:I can't remember who, but I have seen pics of a rack that mounted them vertically right behind the driver's door. Looked like a nice idea.
Back when I had my my 710M radio truck, I hung the door tops from the rear rifle rack, they have horizonal bars and straps.... kept them for my 712, and never installed them, and the Pink Cow's door tops mount completely different than the gassers, not so friendly to casual R&Rings.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

David Dunn wrote:
Back when I had my my 710M radio truck, I hung the door tops from the rear rifle rack, they have horizonal bars and straps.... kept them for my 712, and never installed them, and the Pink Cow's door tops mount completely different than the gassers, not so friendly to casual R&Rings.
Im having difficulty picturing your set up. If youre interested in selling it, i may be interested in buying. Not sure if it would work.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

"Somewhere" around the web are pics of the interior of 710M radio trucks, and the brackets are difficult to miss.. :lol:
I'll try to dig them up and post a pic of them.... if I hadn't previously. :roll: ....then again...Erik can go find them.. fetch boy, fetch! :lol:

Sorry, coouldn't resist :wink:

ka

Post by ka »

mine's a 710m radio and here's a link to a pic with one side of the rack hidden behind the shelter post (pic is too big to display here so ....):

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll34 ... 710m-m.jpg

and another closer of just one side:

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll34 ... 710m-d.jpg

is that what you're talking about?
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Ahh, i see now. Interesting. I wonder if that rack works with the seats installed as well. I like it.
ka

Post by ka »

actually, i have all the seats installed now. i just put that rack back in and the seat tops on that side hit the rack before they get locked upright. the racks are right where you want to sit, too, anyway. i'm gonna take them out next time i need to take 9 ppl to lunch (a common occurance). i'd rather haul a pile of screaming ppl around than shoot anything, anyway. BIG rather there.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

ka

Post by ka »

a pic i'd like to see would be a fully supplied 710m radio (with all its equipment mounted).
1973 710m

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Yes, those are the brackets.
I modified one of the bracket so that the seat back will snap into place.