Limiting Straps

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
kpoling
United States of America

Limiting Straps

Post by kpoling »

While checking my portal oil level, I noticed that my front passenger side limiting strap is broken at the bottom. I must have missed it in my pre-purchase inspection. Current price on OEM is somewhat expensive.

I searched the old tech forum & saw that some owners had tried the nylon limit straps.

Can those who have tried them let us know how they worked out?
Did you use a single or double strap?
Length of strap purchased?
Vendor?

Old threads:

viewtopic.php?t=3587&highlight=limiting+straps

viewtopic.php?t=3468&highlight=limiting+straps

Thanks in advance! Kevin
pinzwheeling

Re: Limiting Straps

Post by pinzwheeling »

kpoling wrote:While checking my portal oil level, I noticed that my front passenger side limiting strap is broken at the bottom. I must have missed it in my pre-purchase inspection. Current price on OEM is somewhat expensive.

I searched the old tech forum & saw that some owners had tried the nylon limit straps.

Can those who have tried them let us know how they worked out?
Did you use a single or double strap?
Length of strap purchased?
Vendor?

Old threads:

viewtopic.php?t=3587&highlight=limiting+straps

viewtopic.php?t=3468&highlight=limiting+straps

Thanks in advance! Kevin
We've used the straps on the Ugly duckling for a year without issue. I don't have the specs at home, but if you PM me, I'll check this weekend for you. We did double straps and it cost about $20 per wheel. That means you can do a 712 for around $120 or so, less than the cost of one strap. If Scott at EI gets more in, stock is always better, but last year when we needed some he was out. You might want to check with him first before tackling the replacements.

BTW, the front straps are a pain to replace
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I've been using straps from OK Offroad for 3 yrs now, and have no complaints. Slight modification and all is good. O.E.M. straps are not better in my opinion,blew too many..
When I ordered my straps I needed a different length than they offered,and they took care of it for no additional cost (this was for 6). I run 2 straps on each side on the front,and the rears have one axle with a strap and waitng for another O.E.M. to break to use # 6. I will order more as it is only a matter of time..
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

Guys,

I remember the previous thread on the non-oem limiting straps and I recalled your comments about how helpful the folks in Oklahoma were to work with. They can fabricate them in different colors too as I recall.

Can you recount any details or issues you encountered when you replaced yours and why the front ones were more challenging to change?

Thanks,

David
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

David,
If I recall correctly, the top mounting bolt on the fronts is buried in the engine compartment and more difficult to reach than the rears or the bottom bolts.
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like they are working with no problems.

From looking at the old threads, it is just the time & effort to cut the old bushing out of the old straps & then cutting them to length. I have access to a carbide cut off saw & possibly a band saw. That would make the job easier.

I do not know how my strap broke. It could have been an original that was flexed one time to many.

Kevin
springhill

Post by springhill »

Sorry, I forgot about updating my old post on the straps.
It has been over 1 1/2 years and they are holding up great!
There is no evidence of weathering or rips (my pinzes live outside all the time--mud, snow, rain, cow poop, etc.). I would recommend the straps. :wink:

John
"Growing Old is Mandatory
Growing Up is Optional"
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

What was the exact length of the straps needed?
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

audiocontr wrote:What was the exact length of the straps needed?
They are 17.5 inches long (a bit shorter than stock but they will stretch). I have completely switched over from stock to nylon. Go to OK Offroad, they can make them for you for like $40 a piece. I have reused the metal bushings from my blown stock straps. I use a gear puller to push them out... it works better than trying to cut them out.
The stock limit straps are expensive JUNK!!
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

I chickened out & bought an OEM replacement. I could have purchased 4 of the nylon straps for that price, but I am trying to keep my truck in it's original military state as I can. Thanks for all of the comments & info on the nylon strap option! Kevin
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
Todd

Post by Todd »

Has anyone ran these with just one strap per side?
ako

Post by ako »

Todd wrote:Has anyone ran these with just one strap per side?
Bumping an old thread here, does anyone have a response to this?

The OK Off Road website lists them as 5000 lb rating.

Surely one per side would be enough? :?

Replacing all mine with originals would be half of what I paid for my truck :D
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

OEM limit straps SUCK! And are very expensive.
I use the nylon (OK Offroad) ones. Two per wheel for redundancy. That way if one blows, you don't have to turn around and go home immediately.
After a bunch of use, I've learned to go with the 18" length rather than the 17.5"
ako

Post by ako »

Ok. Cool, thanks.

I was jacking up the front end and the offside wheel just kept dropping. So just the weight of the stationary axle was enough to finish off the original strap.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

most of us in the SWPA are now using the nylon straps. Since they cost so little we just use two on each for safety sake, though none have failed to date. Been using the 18" ones as the OEM measure just over 18. I get mine from Super Duty Headquarters but they are available at any offroad shop nowadays. Almost all rock buggies and some of the more extreme side by side quads are using them.