712 Kansas City to San Francisco trip

All things not relating to the other forums.
Picasso

712 Kansas City to San Francisco trip

Post by Picasso »

So I snatched what I hope is a good deal from ebay. The 712 camper truck. $13k seems such a great deal, I hope the truck is not rusted out. It came from coldwar so Im sure it will be clean. All trucks I've seen from them have been nice.

Going to drive back in a week or so from Kansas city. Truck has been sitting so will drive it a few miles and get oil changed and check hub oils. Open to ideas about other items to check. I use to also have a 710k I think I'm going to miss the heater on this trip!

This will be my 2nd 712. A friend and I are gearing up for a long trip south. We guess its best to take two of the same type of trucks. Thinking Aug 2010 start date.
krick3tt

new 712

Post by krick3tt »

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Picasso

yikes

Post by Picasso »

Seller says tires will need a balance and one of the wheels might be bent. Hmmm This should be fun!

Should I just get some of those balance beads? Not much chance of getting it balanced on the way homes I'd guess.
NC_Mog

Post by NC_Mog »

I run Equal in mine. Some offroad folks have run Airsoft pellets to balance without having to have the filtered stems.

Now a bent rim...
Kimball
1979 712M
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I'll be up in the Stockton, Damar area from this Saturday till Wednesday, Maybe longer if Jake comes a long.

If you get broke down before than send me a pm. I carry in my pinz. Pretty much a set of hub seals and a few bearings , spare belt, and some of the odd ball stuff .

Not sure if you have checked the map yet but there are several alternatives to I-70 as you'll be driving a lot slower than 75MPH. Lots of paved county roads to take.

Never the less I have sleep in most of the local authority personal drives or there office parking lot while traveling. Every one on your way through this state should be more than friendly.
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

If you will be coming across the I-40 at Needles, CA. Let me the dates,I might be in Havasu at the time and I always have a cold beverage for a Pinz driver!
Pinzing is AWESOME.
Andre
United States of America

nice lookin shot on that front bumper.

Post by Andre »

Hey Eric. You got to send me some current pics of your truck so I can show it off.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

you'll be driving a lot slower than 75MPH
And if the speed limit's 75, they'll be doing closer to 85...

I bought an amber xenon flasher which I bolted onto the spare tire mount that I used when I drove on the interstate. It plugged into the trailer elec. jack.

Have a safe trip.

Paul
Picasso

hmm

Post by Picasso »

So I was going to just take the 29 north from kansas city to the 80 west all the way to CA. Im fine at 50-55. Going to fly out so won't be taking tools or spares with me. I don't want a strobe on the back but might use the triangle if its still with the truck or grab one.

I plan to start my drive Monday the 5th. Will hit up napa oil filter and oil and get it changed and check hubs and diffs and trans.

Plan to also hit up a farm store for a pair of insulated coveralls. Unsure of color yet....hunter orange might get me pulled over.
Erik712m

Re: hmm

Post by Erik712m »

Picasso wrote:So I was going to just take the 29 north from kansas city to the 80 west all the way to CA. Im fine at 50-55. .
Never been on US. 80 report back if there's any thing worth seeing or doing.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Take Route 50 from Kansas City all the way to Sacramento, then back roads into SF. You will get rear-ended on 80, I've driven that road many times. Look at the map and you'll see what I mean.
I personally never take my Pinz on the Interstate. The high speeds are hard on the drive line, and it only takes one idiot driver to ruin your day (and Pinz).
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

I have been on the 80..... and that was the slowest anyone was going ... 80 mph...

The good part is there is very little traffic, and at this time of year a lot of the truckers avoid it as well... be careful.
Pinzing is AWESOME.
Picasso

hmmm

Post by Picasso »

Thanks for pointing out the 50. That does seem like a more "fun" option. I just drove i80 after thanks giving...damn boring. I will stock up on warm items for the trip and I always take a flash light! Sometimes I even take a flesh light *grin*

I will have two phones and my laptops with me. Will try and get in every day to post an update. And yes will pull off the front tin to check the cooling fins are clean and clear.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

No! I was in Herington Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday wasn't that bad Wednesday was COLD WIND CHILL NEGATIVE FOURTEEN DEGREES FOURTY MILE AN HOUR WIND GUST. Hopefully he is in the back waiting it out tomorrow shouldn't be as bad.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

I failed!

Tuesday. Kansas City to Nebraska City
Wednesday. Nebraska City to Kearney (OMG ITS COLD)
Thursday
Friday. rawlins, wyoming

At one point I had a huge loss of power and turned around to hit a off ramp with services. Turns out it was the wind!

I could not camp out in the back it was some how colder inside the box! and the two heaters did not have fuel lines and the plug was cut to the box for power. Cold hands did not feel liking mucking with that.

the truck is sitting just outside of rawlins, wyoming I hitch hiked to Salt Lake City jumped on a flight home. Debating how to go get the truck now. I have a trailer but needs reg for it. I'd love to just flat tow it home. I'm going to head out Sunday/Monday with parts and truck/trailer Im sure. But if anyone has options to flat tow Id love to hear them. Truck is safe in current location in a locked yard.

Carb near the alt is leaking like mad. Still has mil spec cap but with civi plug ends that are toast. I had huge trouble at 8000 feet. Had to pull over and change plugs as it was getting fouled up and speed up the hills was a huge problem. I was warned in Kansas city not to take the 50 as it was well snow covered. So I just hit up the 80 to the north. The number of cars broken down was insane on I80. Trucks also had trouble with gelling. -22 wind chill was as low as I saw one morning starting the truck. The choke cable froze so I couldnt use it. Just poped the lid and did it by hand to start it. After the motor warmed up I spent a few mins moving the shifter to try and find a gear. gps would not turn on till after a good 20mins down the road. Also the damn 24-12 is blowing fuses. I think the mutli tap is wack.

That has been one long ass cold trip. And I'm not even done yet! The heater box and exhaust is a little rusted so lack of heat but no fumes in side! I had 4 pairs of shocks on, and still found my self driving with the hand throttle so I could get my feet up. Ice was forming along the tunnel walls in the cab by my feet. The hose was also missing from air fan to inside duct. So it just heated the 4x4 controlls.
More later Im getting in my damn hotutb.