Anybody running a Warning Beacon

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Mac

Anybody running a Warning Beacon

Post by Mac »

Ordered a US Mil. Surplus RAWL and made a quick mount to bolt on where the antenna goes. It only has a temporary on\off switch until I find the time to run it to my dash mounted switch panel!

It has a 50w (I think) halogen lamp that lights things up even in the daytime! Made by Whelen, so it's good stuff too. $80 to my door!

1974 710M
1951 M37 for sale
2003 BMW 330i zHP
undysworld
Norway

Re: Anybody running a Warning Beacon

Post by undysworld »

I used to own one which I mounted in the middle of the spare tire and used whenever I drove on high speed and interstate highways. With a 712, my speed was 50-55 mph, compared with other traffic moving perhaps 80. It made a big difference in the number of times I saw people's headlights dip as they braked hard behind me.

It was never in danger of hitting it while driving off-road, as the spare tire protected it. It only shone to the rear, but that seemed to be where the concern was. I powered it from the rear plug, so it turned on with the headlights.

I ended sending it with JerBearYukon when he was here and bought his truck. As I recall, he was happy he had it. I'm still looking to replace it.

Your location would allow for better visibility during towing operations, but might be vulnerable to damage off-road. Perhaps one mounted within the spare but which could also be temporarily relocated to the roof would be the best of both worlds.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I have a Federal Signal beacon with dual 50W halogen sealed beams; bought it years ago off EBay for about $25. Finally mounted it to my exoskeleton two years ago:
Never had a real need for it (yet) but it looks good.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I've had the same thought many times...particularly once i went from driving a 710 to a 712 :wink:

If you see a photo of a European manufactured crane, you'll see what appear to almost be a standard rotating warning beacon. Same with many trucks from M-B, DAF, MAN etc. These lights appear to be much smaller in size but are installed on some huge pieces of equipment so they must be satisfactory for their intended purpose.

Any European Pinz owners out there care to weigh in?
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
texas pinzgauer

How about running something like this and mounting it either inside the spare tire or on the rear door? Looks like an easy, cheap, noticable, movable solution for night time Pinz driving.

http://www.magnalight.com/showproduct.a ... uctid=1572
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I thought there were prohibitions on running flashing red lights unless you were an emergency vehicle, at least in some states.(??) Of course, on a hot afternoon in a beerless climate, even a Pinzgauer might be considered an emergency vehicle, I suppose.
texas pinzgauer

Those folks offer the same light in amber. I think there's a prohibition on having flashing blue and red lights if you're not in law enforcement. Don't know about the flashing red concern.
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I have one mounted under my rear door hinge below the bumper, powered from a push/pull switch near the transfer lever. I use it when traveling up hills rather than my flashers. It can be seen for greater distances, even in day light.

edit: It is amber.

can be found here: http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... C01511.jpg
Last edited by krick3tt on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Generally running red or blue flashing lights will get you arrested in many areas since those colors are reserved for emergency vehicles only. Amber is usually accepted as a "caution" signal color which is why it's on so many utility vehicles. There are always exceptions, like in NJ I've seen blue lights on tow trucks, which would never happen in most states. Many states allow vol. firemen to run red lights but the number is usually limited. I used to have a couple of red strobes on my Land Rover!
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Old Warrior

Post by Old Warrior »

Hello All !
Within the thirteen (13) Western States, vehicles other than emergency vehicles, must run Amber Flashers. Blue is for law enforcement
and red is for emergency. Even out west, tow trucks must run amber. Yeh I know, it always takes an old dude to ruin a good thing.
Anyway, what the heck when you're off=road four wheelin.
Take Care
Old Warrior
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

My truck came with this.
Attachments
IMG_3905s_crop.JPG
IMG_3905s_crop.JPG (16.14 KiB) Viewed 5781 times
'76 710K
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Stekay wrote:My truck came with this.
With MVDs (Military Vehicle Delineators) too... Nice!
I have a paire of these reflective markers, but I won't stick them directly on my truck (not really enough sheetmetal for this on the back of an "M")... maybe on some removeable pannels. Another item on my long list of things I could do on my truck :D
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
Tyler
Germany

Post by Tyler »

Ive got a red LED linear strobe mounted where the rear license plate goes (since we dont have to show a visible plate in Co.) Its about 3" by 6". Its a code 3 product, exactly what comes off of a modern ambulance. Its painfully bright, almost to bright. (not kidding) I wired it so i can change between 13 different flash patterns with a momentary pushbutton. In Colorado, you can only run red flashing emergency lights in the rear of the vehicle...much like tail lights. Otherwise, amber, or clear is the way to go all day long.

Again, in colorado:
Red-Fire
Blue/red-Law enforcement
Blue/amber-Cdot
Purple-Funeral Service
Green-Hazmat
Amber-Non denominational general warning
Clear-Off road/public warning

Tyler
75 710M
1975 710M
2016 Ram 2500