Tools for spark plugs

Engine troubles? Try here.
djw
United States of America

Tools for spark plugs

Post by djw »

I do not have the original spark plug tools from the tool kit, and am curious what tools are available to remove and reinstall the standard military wires and plugs? I am not contemplating converting to a civ ignition at this point, just wanting to check and clean.

While I am not near the 710K at present, I think mine may have an Austrian updated seat belt mount that are not present on the swiss models, possibly complicating access. I have looked in my parts book and don't see these mounts listed. Are these on the Swiss models? The mounts require holes that go through the engine cover (doghouse) and look like they would make getting at #3 a challenge, or even possibly have to remove the mounts themselves to get access.

What tools should I have on hand to get at the plugs and unbolt the wires from the plugs?
Attachments
seat belt mount.jpg
seat belt mount.jpg (63.89 KiB) Viewed 7317 times
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Tools for spark plugs

Post by audiocontr »

THATS what that is. I couldnt figure it out! Weird and cool at the same time.

Tough to tell via that angle. I can usually get a wrench in there from below to remove the plug wires, then use the spark plug removal tool.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

The original plug wrench is pretty handy for the job. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what might substitute.

Interesting seatbelt mount. Never seen that before. I think I'd just ditch the mount, and carry on. It only looks like a pain in the arse.
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

undysworld wrote:The original plug wrench is pretty handy for the job. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what might substitute.

Interesting seatbelt mount. Never seen that before. I think I'd just ditch the mount, and carry on. It only looks like a pain in the arse.
Austrian refurbs got that mount, both sides. I think that is correct for all the refurbs.

Can't really ditch it, front seat belts are fastened to it.

And there was no tool kit in this truck thus no plug wrench. Trying to source a workable local substitute.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I had to destroy the wires when I did my first civilian conversion. Only way to get a deep socket in there. :cry:
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

Can anyone post the size/mm of the spark plug and wire connector? None of the books seem to list it and I am not near the truck.

13/16 plug?

Wire connector = mm?
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

audiocontr wrote:THATS what that is. I couldnt figure it out! Weird and cool at the same time.

Tough to tell via that angle. I can usually get a wrench in there from below to remove the plug wires, then use the spark plug removal tool.
That seat belt mount is not too bad getting in the way for #2 plug as it is hollow underneath so you can turn the plug wrench inside it.
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

djw wrote:Can anyone post the size/mm of the spark plug and wire connector? None of the books seem to list it and I am not near the truck.

13/16 plug?

Wire connector = mm?
Wire connector = 19mm = 3/4"

While Mr. Missing Pinz-Toolroll is awaiting an epiphany on a fan holding tool, I assembled a few finds to go ahead and check the plugs as they sit and only got to #1 and #2 (the easy ones) before dark.

1. The military tool for removing the spark plug leads is ok/slow going. Seems to me the right angle bend needs to be about 2" or 3" closer to the head for what I did so far, and especially so for #3 and #4 which I did not get to.

From the parts book it appears the Pinz tool kit does not seem to have anything like this so I have no idea how you normally would go after the plug wires??

2. The 13/16 plug wrench substitute is Briggs & Stratton Spark Plug Wrench 5402H that is a bit long but works just ok, better when you can get a 19mm rachetless socket wrench on the other end. It needs to be a hair thinner especially where it is near the valve covers, so I may take a grinder to the part at that point.

I had to call it an evening before getting to #3 and #4, those look harder to reach by far. #3 probably by hanging from the ceiling and maybe #4 from underneath?

Any tips on those more skilled at reaching #3 and #4 plugs appreciated.

Thanks.
Attachments
4-23-2012 8-34-57 PM (Medium).jpg
4-23-2012 8-34-57 PM (Medium).jpg (60.11 KiB) Viewed 7204 times
Last edited by djw on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

That wire tool is not a part of the original tool kit, but it does a great job on the mil wire ends. I came to the same conclusion that the handle was a bit long and cut the handle off and put in a new bend to make the handle shorter.

miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

Modify like this. I never got around to it, but it was on the plans :)
4-24-2012 1-30-37 PM.jpg
4-24-2012 1-30-37 PM.jpg (11.44 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
MilSparkPlugWrenches_02.JPG
MilSparkPlugWrenches_02.JPG (55.84 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

djw wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:00 pm Modify like this. I never got around to it, but it was on the plans :)

MilSparkPlugWrenches_02.JPG

That bottom image is the kind of thing I've been thinking about. I just need some strong wire stock, a ground off crow's foot, and some time on the welder. Or does that thing already exist off-the-shelf for 19mm? I've seen images of them (below), but none for sale quite yet.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (34.97 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M38-M38A1-M151 ... SwMSxfzUk5

You may have to cut the handle down to make it fit the pinz space (or lack thereof). 19mm = 3/4"

As far as pulling the plugs after you get the wires off, the only tool I found that works on all the cyls is the original pinz tool or the one that Willi had @ SAV, in my pic above. Long enough to reach and then turn with a box wrench or the key. Austrian rehab pinz seat belt mounts really, really get in the way but should be easier on anything else.

A few times at this and you'll be wishing for a PinzSSI replacement :)
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

djw wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:51 pm
As far as pulling the plugs after you get the wires off, the only tool I found that works on all the cyls is the original pinz tool or the one that Willi had @ SAV, in my pic above. Long enough to reach and then turn with a box wrench or the key.
Thanks for that ebay link.

I had zero issues with the OEM spark plug wrench adapter, and was easily able to put my torque wrench on the end of it to ensure proper tightness. Even the rearmost cylinder wasn't an issue. Uncle Steyr thought about this it seems.
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

ChickenPinz wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:07 am
Thanks for that ebay link.

I had zero issues with the OEM spark plug wrench adapter, and was easily able to put my torque wrench on the end of it to ensure proper tightness. Even the rearmost cylinder wasn't an issue. Uncle Steyr thought about this it seems.
It's only the Austrian rehabs that have the new seat belt mounts (see pic above) that make 3 nigh impossible. I was going to consider removing the entire mount for any future plug service.
heinz
Austria

Post by heinz »

My 710M is a rehab and has those brackets for the safety belts.

I have removed all 4 spark plug several times and fopund no problem with it. I guess that my tools are the original tools which came with the pinz from the factory - very simple tools, maybe not all tools in my toolbag are original but the spark plug tool may be. With the original spark plug tool it may not have been foreseen to use a torque wrench for tightening.