buying a Pinz

All things not relating to the other forums.
DGRDurham
United States of America

buying a Pinz

Post by DGRDurham »

I plan on buying a 710M sometime this month. Ive been researching them for the last year, since i first saw one in ouray colorado last year. Rocky Mountain Pinzgauers was having their annual treffen, and were camped at the same KOA that my family was at. We're a big jeep family, and my interest in jeeps was stomped out when i first saw the pinz. Anyway, ive read a pre-buy inspection guide on another site, and learned alot about these vehicles. I just would like some wisdom from people who own them. I would like to find a 710M with Very Very little, to no rust, the EXII transmission upgrade, The civillian ignition conversion, and a safety glass windshield. Other than that, I would like it to be stock. My budget ive got, is 13,000. If you guys have any other suggestions, as far as things to look for in a 710M I would appreciate the input. I really want to avoid the bad eggs. Ive got mechanical experience, and know what im gettting myself into. My last offroader was a 76 FJ40, and so far it has been my favorite vehicle ive ever owned. 50 MPH is my favorite speed, and anything over 15 mpg makes me sick! That last part is a lie, but i dont mind it. ok one more question.... This pinz is going to see alot of in town road time. Im not saying it will be my primary vehicle but my wife and I like to cruise around town. anybody have any wisdom on good less aggressive tires for the pinz? and are balancing beads really as beneficial as ive read? anyways, thats enough excited ranting for now.

Thanks!

Josh from Texas
Doccers

Re: buying a Pinz

Post by Doccers »

DGRDurham wrote:I plan on buying a 710M sometime this month. Ive been researching them for the last year, since i first saw one in ouray colorado last year. Rocky Mountain Pinzgauers was having their annual treffen, and were camped at the same KOA that my family was at. We're a big jeep family, and my interest in jeeps was stomped out when i first saw the pinz. Anyway, ive read a pre-buy inspection guide on another site, and learned alot about these vehicles. I just would like some wisdom from people who own them. I would like to find a 710M with Very Very little, to no rust, the EXII transmission upgrade, The civillian ignition conversion, and a safety glass windshield. Other than that, I would like it to be stock. My budget ive got, is 13,000. If you guys have any other suggestions, as far as things to look for in a 710M I would appreciate the input. I really want to avoid the bad eggs. Ive got mechanical experience, and know what im gettting myself into. My last offroader was a 76 FJ40, and so far it has been my favorite vehicle ive ever owned. 50 MPH is my favorite speed, and anything over 15 mpg makes me sick! That last part is a lie, but i dont mind it. ok one more question.... This pinz is going to see alot of in town road time. Im not saying it will be my primary vehicle but my wife and I like to cruise around town. anybody have any wisdom on good less aggressive tires for the pinz? and are balancing beads really as beneficial as ive read? anyways, thats enough excited ranting for now.

Thanks!

Josh from Texas
The folks up here in Denver with pinzies seem to love the BFG-AT's (31"), it's what I ran on my Jeep, works pretty good off-road, and behaves quite nicely on-road. Lasts forever too. :)

I don't have any personal experience with one on a pinz however, as my truck is the Volvo C304, but I don't see any reason not to go that route.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Josh
Hopefully one of the Texas guys will bark up and help you out. Depending on what part of Tx you are in there are some really nice owners available to you.

not to be too picky but the EXII refers to the differentials and not the tranny. Tires are all over the place. Just like with any offroad vehicle. You have to decide where most of your driving will occur and what type of trails you would be doing. Personally I would recommend anything with a D rating or better. The trucks do have some weight and the heavier tires hold up better.
With your budget you should be able to come up with a really nice Pinz.
I drive one of my pinzies around town almost daily just because I enjoy driving them. A few of us were up at the Treffen last year from AZ and as you can tell we don't do stock vehicles.

anyway good luck with your search.
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

DGRDurham wrote: My last offroader was a 76 FJ40, and so far it has been my favorite vehicle ive ever owned. This pinz is going to see alot of in town road time. Im not saying it will be my primary vehicle but my wife and I like to cruise around town. anybody have any wisdom on good less aggressive tires for the pinz?
Having owned a jeep, a 78 FJ40, FJ cruiser, a unimog and then the pinz I'll tell you you'll love it. I know I miss mine but I'm just about to start enjoying a volvo also.
4x4Pinz wrote: I drive one of my pinzies around town almost daily just because I enjoy driving them.
It also keeps them running good all the poor running pinz's I've seen sit a lot. I drove mine 2 to 3 times a week and it was always a dependable good running truck
Welcome to the forum search craigslist, the yahoo groups, and the unimog exchange all good places to find a good pinz in your price range.

Don't get hung up on the small details(civilian ignition mine ran great without it and it went with my truck still in the box as I never used it and I also didn't have any beads in my tires.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

DGRDurham wrote: My last offroader was a 76 FJ40, and so far it has been my favorite vehicle ive ever owned. This pinz is going to see alot of in town road time. Im not saying it will be my primary vehicle but my wife and I like to cruise around town. anybody have any wisdom on good less aggressive tires for the pinz?
Having owned a jeep, a 78 FJ40, FJ cruiser, a unimog and then the pinz I'll tell you you'll love it. I know I miss mine but I'm just about to start enjoying a volvo also.
4x4Pinz wrote: I drive one of my pinzies around town almost daily just because I enjoy driving them.
It also keeps them running good all the poor running pinz's I've seen sit a lot. I drove mine 2 to 3 times a week and it was always a dependable good running truck

Welcome to the forum search craigslist, the yahoo groups, and the unimog exchange all good places to find a good pinz in your price range.

Don't get hung up on the small details(civilian ignition mine ran great without it and it went with my truck still in the box as I never used it and I also didn't have any beads in my tires.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
DGRDurham
United States of America

Post by DGRDurham »

Thanks! yea i like the BFG's! and Im in Amarillo for now, Good chance we'll be moving to east Texas, around Tyler sometime close to Christmas. And yea I remember some Arizona guys. I spoke with a guy from Arizona, that let me look all through his Pinz. I think it was a hardtop, and I remember it had a full roll cage, that doubled as an airtank. Another guy gave my family and I a ride in their 710M. Alot of really really friendly people. Ive been hooked on these vehicles ever since.

Josh from Texas
DGRDurham
United States of America

Post by DGRDurham »

Do any of you guys have any experience with Cold War Remarketing? Ive spoke with him a few times, and seems like an honest pinz dealer. Denver isnt too far from me, here in Amarillo, so im considering him the most right now, unless i find a better deal.
czarthirteen

Post by czarthirteen »

Patrick Robb is a charm to speak with, although I'd never reccommend buying a vehicle sight unseen....so get up there and check some out.

He's got a fairly nice 710m with some upgrades (red top, yellow brush guards, winch, etc.)
Pinzgauer 712AMB
VW Passat GLX 4motion wagon
Triumph Sprint ST Executive
1986 VW Golf Diesel (AAZ diesel motor, Quattro drivetrain)
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Go with the balancing beads, Goodyear wranglers for alot of on road and occassional offroad...and do a thorough inspection of the body if looking for no rust. I always figure, the better the body is taken care of, odds are the mechanicals are as well...... :)
1972 710m
DGRDurham
United States of America

Post by DGRDurham »

Yes ive seen that pinz! I loved it when he posted it on his site. Its still on there, but says it sold. Honestly I would rather have one that doesnt have any major mods, other than simple ones like the ignition upgrade, and safety glass windshield. and I would even be ok without those. well maybe not the windshield..... I really enjoy working on old vehicles, and would like to start with a blank slate. I just want a solid, well maintained, stock Pinz.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Take a trip and get the tinted windshield and side glass from Dave. Be worth the trip and I am sure he has some interesting vehicles by now that
one might look at.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

I wouldn't automatically assume that a typical Pinz won't already have the safety glass, some came with it standard; I don't know if it was a retrofit the Swiss did or if they started using it after a certain year. All I know is that my Pinz came bone stock straight from the Swiss Army with laminated safety glass and mine's a '76. It has a cool name etched in the glass too..."Protexit", odd since it's a play on words in English and not any Swiss language.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

and even if it did need a new windshield any auto glass company can put one in for around $125. We get them done here on a fairly regular basis. Only need a new windshield gasket if it is hardened over the years.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

CentAr712 wrote:I wouldn't automatically assume that a typical Pinz won't already have the safety glass, some came with it standard; I don't know if it was a retrofit the Swiss did or if they started using it after a certain year. All I know is that my Pinz came bone stock straight from the Swiss Army with laminated safety glass and mine's a '76. It has a cool name etched in the glass too..."Protexit", odd since it's a play on words in English and not any Swiss language.
Sorry , "Protexit" is tempered glass... The Swiss retrofitted the tempered to laminated as they broke..... look for a cool label like "LAMI" for the windshield.... the rest of the glass will be tempered
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Having just bought a 710, there are a few things I highly recommend checking, even if you are buying from someone who tells you they have gone through it and may sell them as a business 8) . They may not be deal breakers, but worth checking. Check each axle boot carefully. If they are the solid yellow boots, look for oil inside. Regardless of what boots (could be split), ask if you can loosen the clamps and check for leaks and tears in the seals etc. Repairs on such items may not always be crazy expensive, but if you are paying a high price, it may give you some negotiating room. If they say no, from what I know now, I would look for another truck.

You will enjoy the Pinz.....I have never really driven a 4x4 before, well, like it was intended to be driven (never went wheeling in my Iltis), and I love every minute of it.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol