Street legal: front marker lights & replacement speedometer

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Street legal: front marker lights & replacement speedom

Post by TechMOGogy »

HawaiianGauer wrote:OK that does sound simpler. Dumb question though: how can you use 12V LEDs in a 24V system? Did you install a resistor somewhere or did I miss something?
Installed in series so 12+12= the 24 volts
So you just wire it as explained
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

how can you use 12V LEDs in a 24V system? Did you install a resistor somewhere or did I miss something?
12V LEDs already have a resistor built in, but it is sized for 12V operation. By putting two of the 12V LEDs in series (24V to the red lead of one light, the black lead of that light goes ONLY to the red lead of the second light, and the black lead of the second light goes to ground) the voltage will split evenly between them as long as they are identical lights. I did all the marker/clearance lights on my 712W this way as realistically only 12V lights were available.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

If one of the 12V lights goes out the whole thing is out.
I recommend 24V LED lights...it is a 24V system. Check with Grote lighting (grote.com) if you cannot find any 24V stuff where you are.
If you don't see the lights you want on line call them up 800-628-0809. There is a store close to me called Lighthouse that sells Grote stuff.
It is where I get all my lighting for the pinz.

I used 24 to 36V tail lights and wired them into the existing tail light circuit as aux lights as the flasher will not recognize LED's.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

krick3tt wrote:If one of the 12V lights goes out the whole thing is out.
I recommend 24V LED lights...it is a 24V system. Check with Grote lighting (grote.com) if you cannot find any 24V stuff where you are.
If you don't see the lights you want on line call them up 800-628-0809. There is a store close to me called Lighthouse that sells Grote stuff.
It is where I get all my lighting for the pinz.

I used 24 to 36V tail lights and wired them into the existing tail light circuit as aux lights as the flasher will not recognize LED's.
While this is true - LED's last 50,000+ hours so less of an issue with LEDs vs 'regular' bulbs
I agree re: tail lights - would be foolish to try and wire 12v tails but these are just side marker lights so not 'critical'
Dan
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

If one of the 12V lights goes out the whole thing is out. I recommend 24V LED lights...it is a 24V system.
The individual LEDs use from 2 to 4 volts each, depending on the color; they are always set up in series groups -- just that there are more in series in a a "24V" LED light. So the reliability issue is moot.

But if you can get 24V rated lights for a similar cost then you don't need to worry about pairing them up, nor the interconnection between the two 12V units. Simpler, but often times much more costly. Make your choice, both work.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
HawaiianGauer

Post by HawaiianGauer »

SwissArmyToy wrote:Aloha Harry,

Nice to here about another Pinz owner on the Island. I have the VDO speedo conversion, it was a pretty straight forward swap by following the instructions and I can help you if you want to meet up (pm me for contact info).

Regarding the marker lights, I haven't heard of anybody else here needing that for registration. I think it could be hit or miss, depending on who you get to inspect the truck. I registered mine at the Hawaii Kai office with no problem.

-Scott
Scott-
For some reason I cannot PM you or a board administrator (which, per the FAQs, your supposed to do when PMs sit in your outbox. Ironically, now I have 2 PMs that are stuck in my outbox). Perhaps if you PM me, I can answer & give you my contact info, etc.
Mahalo for your assistance!

Harry X.
73 'Gauer 712M

check out the X-Gauer in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYj_UNQDgpM
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

PM's stay in your outbox until the recipient opens them. They haven't read them yet.

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
HawaiianGauer

Post by HawaiianGauer »

rgr...got same answer from Vince just now. When I see email stuck in my Outlook outbox, I know that means it hasn't gone anywhere. I assumed the same here...I was wrong. Thanks for squaring me away!

Harry X.
73 'Gauer 712M

HawaiianGauer

Post by HawaiianGauer »

Update: marker lights conversion is done. Next up so I can get this thing registered: fix the license plate lights & replace the speedo with a MPG version.

I tried several configurations in order to use both existing blinker lights as both parking lights & blinkers by employing resistors and diodes in several locations. None worked in all situations (parking lights only; blinkers only; parking lights & blinkers at the same time - that's what I could not solve).

I ended up configuring 1 existing blinker light as a marker (parking) light and the 2nd remained a blinker only. I had to remove the metal bar that connects both blinker lights & is used as a ground for both bulbs (keeping it in place did not work). I re-installed the existing blinker ground lead directly to the screw hole that held the bar in place. Next, I re-routed the original blackout or dimmer headlight power lead (no longer needed after upgrading to more modern head lamps) to the 2nd blinker light (you must ensure the original power contact the bulb gets power from as a blinker is no longer touching that bulb). I ran a new grnd wire from the 2nd grnd screw position to the blinker mount screw. Worked like a champ in all situations.

I also tried to install a 50 ohm 10 watt resistor so the marker light was not as bright as the blinker light but it was too much resistance (the bulb barely lit at all).

Harry X.
73 'Gauer 712M

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Pics of what you did??
HawaiianGauer

Post by HawaiianGauer »

See attached picture (just learned you can't upload pdf's or ppt's!)

No, this is not an elegant solution. The worst part is the physical connection between the running lt pwr lead I "borrowed" from the old headlamp harness & rerouted to power one of the 2 blinker bulbs: it is simply wedged in between the org blinker copper bar (which is taped up with elec tape) & the bottom of the bulb. No laughing!

Right now, simple goal was to appease Hawaii Recon requirements so I can register the damn thing with the limited time I have to mess with this & 2 other problem sets (speedo & no license plate lights).

We'll see how long it lasts. I've got a couple of better ideas to make the config perm. Also, I am concerned about how hot the marker/parking lt bulb gets (much hotter than the same bulb as a blinker). Not sure if it will last. Can probably solve that no problem with the right resistor, but I am ohm's law challenged....50 ohms was too much, the bulb barely lit.

x
Attachments
Gauer parking lights.jpg
Gauer parking lights.jpg (113.36 KiB) Viewed 4964 times

Harry X.
73 'Gauer 712M

HawaiianGauer

Post by HawaiianGauer »

Update 2.

Met my first Hawaii-based Pinzgauer owner, SwissArmyToy Scott today! His reminder of grounding problems led to completing the license plate lights fix.

Started Speedo install. Removed old one, not difficult. Installed new VDO cable, not difficult. The 3 wires on the speedo cable, not difficult. But the rest of wiring - THAT'S gonna be a project! Had NO idea of the additional wiring, connectors, etc until I took some pictures behind the dash of Scott's today.

See attached to see what I mean. If ANYONE has some idiot-proof instructions on where the extra bunches of wires go, plugs that it didn't come with but apparently I need, I'd appreciate the guidance!!!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise, I suspect tomorrow is going to be a looooooooonnng day.
Attachments
IMG_1672.JPG
IMG_1672.JPG (401.84 KiB) Viewed 4964 times
IMG_1670.JPG
IMG_1670.JPG (423.9 KiB) Viewed 4964 times

Harry X.
73 'Gauer 712M

landy

Post by landy »

I bought my VDO speedo from SAV, which came with some ok wiring instructions. If you don't have those, I can provide them to you as they will help. However, the instructions don't say where to get the switched-on 24 volt power supply from. I haven't finished wiring mine, so haven't determined the best source for that. Mine uses circuit breakers, so there's likely a source there I can use, but it's a pain to access without removing the breaker panel.

Let me know if you'd like the wiring instructions that came with my speedo.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I also tried to install a 50 ohm 10 watt resistor so the marker light was not as bright as the blinker light but it was too much resistance (the bulb barely lit at all).
Then 50 ohm is too much; try 25 ohms (or two of the 50 ohm resistors in parallel). This will brighten the bulb. You may need to go down to 10 ohms. Any value that gives you the brightness you desire will work; even down to zero ohms (a straight wire to the bulb).

You can also change the bulb for the running lights to be a lower wattage, such as a #301 (McMaster Carr # 9527T053) for a dimmer brightness.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Thomas-E

Post by Thomas-E »

I have 12 volts supplied to the front of the cab wired to a terminal strip (to operate an am/fm radio and can use it for GPS andother items).

I ran a wire to the speedo so the original 12 volt bulbs work fine.

I changed the original 12 volt bulb to 12 volt LED (I like a blue-ish white light). Remember that they are polarity sensitive, center pin is positive.

[url]http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... -1-led/10/[/url]

They also carry 28 volt lamps for the warning panel, which I have changed out (recommend
using the color that matches the color of the panel lens).

[url]http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... b-1-led/4/[/url]

LEDS are nice...you change them once and probably never do it again!! :D

Best Wishes
Thomas E.
Sonora, CA
712 Camper
[img][url]M:\avatar\DSCN0010%20(Custom).JPG[/url][/img]