Breaker #2, parking lights and brake lights

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
John L
United States of America

Breaker #2, parking lights and brake lights

Post by John L »

Guys:

My main source of transportation was smashed by an idiot not paying attention when he slammed into the back of my car. Sooo, the good news is I get to drive the Pinz to work. Bad news is I went to drive it this morning and circuit breaker #2 popped when I turned on the headlights. I didn't get the switch past the parking lights when it blew. Saw the smoke genie but didn't smell anything burning. On the way home the wipers didn't work. Came home and researched the issue best I could and don't see a solution. Went out to diagnose it and found out that the turn signals work fine. The high beams on the headlights work when I pull the turn signal arm back to me. But, the brake lights don't work at all. Oh, and the wipers worked when I got home after pushing on breaker 2 a bit to reset it. So, no parking lights, no brake lights, and breaker 2 pops when I turn on the parking lights/headlights. So, no headlights either unless I pull back on the turn signal.

Any ideas as to the source of the problem? Is it a breaker? Burned out low beams? I thought headlights/parking lights/ and brake lights were on separate breakers. Any help you can give is appreciated as I'm driving this baby tomorrow with or without headlights and brake lights.

Thanks,

John
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Breaker #2, parking lights and brake lights

Post by pcolette »

Here's a list of the circuit breakers from one of the schematics:

If you need a copy of the schematic pm your email and I'll send it off. It's about 6.5mb so not for a slow connection.
Last edited by pcolette on Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

The online schematic is a scan of the original and works out well.
The schematic I have was scanned and then heavily edited by another forum member a few years ago and then further edited by me. It can be enlarged without loss of detail and prints nicely at 11x17 with the schematic on one side and the component legend on the reverse. That's why the file is so large.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

pcolette wrote:The online schematic is a scan of the original and works out well.
The schematic I have was scanned and then heavily edited by another forum member a few years ago and then further edited by me. It can be enlarged without loss of detail and prints nicely at 11x17 with the schematic on one side and the component legend on the reverse. That's why the file is so large.
That sounds good too! If you are willing, I could post it in my DropBox and anyone can download it....easier than Emailing. That is where I keep my manuals, in case I need them.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

That would be awesome. I guess I need to do a little more diagnostic work to determine if I have a breaker issue or something larger. Brake lights should not be connected to the parking lights and the tripping of breaker 2. I'll let you know what I come up with after work today.

John
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

berger,
Thanks for the idea! I completely forgot I could do that with my dropbox. :oops:

Here's the link to the schematic:> link removed <
Last edited by pcolette on Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

pcolette wrote:berger,
Thanks for the idea! I completely forgot I could do that with my dropbox. :oops:

Here's the link to the schematic: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/561 ... iclgnd.pdf
NP! :)

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Paul,
Perhaps that link should be in it's own thread, with a title indicating it's the schiz, so others could find it via a search easier.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

undysworld wrote:Paul,
Perhaps that link should be in it's own thread, with a title indicating it's the schiz, so others could find it via a search easier.
Great idea! I'll do that.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE