Started video documentation for the C303 restoration!

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
kristaga

Re: Started video documentation for the C303 restoration!

Post by kristaga »

HafWit wrote: I have 24V powerlet sockets nearby for clip-on accessories. I suspect these were for convoy lights or something like that.

Cheers,
Greg
Yes, they are clip on brackets and 24 V sockets for the blackout driving lights.
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

Do you know a source to get some of those lights?

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Greg: Here is a site with LED blackout lights as well as a variety of other military spec/looking lights that would work well on a pinz or volvo, etc. Im going to get some taillamps and turn signals from there.

http://www.gpartsinc.com/c-224-military-lighting.aspx
Where science and technology fail, art survives.
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

I had the opportunity to see some of the old style 24v military LED lights on a Pinzgauer. First of all, I think they look hideous. Second, while they are bright, the pattern is not to my liking. For these reasons I decided to go with the new style lights that you used. I just installed these today and I can say that the installation is very straight-forward--essentially they are plug and play. I will see how the pattern looks tonight and make adjustments as needed.

Thanks for your input and videos!

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

added the next video "wiring mess" on my channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... zZii9AK_bg
steyr phil

Post by steyr phil »

MadMax wrote:Greg: Here is a site with LED blackout lights as well as a variety of other military spec/looking lights that would work well on a pinz or volvo, etc. Im going to get some taillamps and turn signals from there.

http://www.gpartsinc.com/c-224-military-lighting.aspx
those lights look well - going to check through the above link , bloody wiring must have been like a rats nest :)
steyr phil

Post by steyr phil »

those lights look well - going to check through the above link , bloody wiring must have been like a rats nest :)
Last edited by steyr phil on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Could you please post where you bought these bi-beam LED lights?
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

I got mine here:

http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-1558 ... p-4x4.aspx

That was the best price I could find. They seem to have good prices on other things too

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

I have a full set of interior lights out of a K. blackout lights and clear lights. I have plans for the swing arm map lngts at the time but do not see myself using the black lights. Please pm me if somone is interested in them.
shawn
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Christer_tgb

Post by Christer_tgb »

Hi

I just found your videos on youtube and I can tell you that the old license plate is Swedish, not form Norway.

This also make sence since the truck is most certainly a civilian and there are some proff to that, the winch and the orange paint of the rear door for some. The Swedish govermental phone company "Televerket" had all their cars painted in that orange paint. Nice or not but you saw them. :D

The insulation in the military ones, unsure of the civilans, were houseinsulation in plastic behind the pegboard. There have been thoughts in Swedish forums that the holes in the pegborad would reduce sound compaired to a solid board.

Now I'm going to view more of the renovation.

Cheers,
Chris
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Thanks for the info, Chris! I based all of my understanding on what the previous owner told me about it from when he imported it about 15 years ago. The orange only shows up on the back door, which is not the original. The other doors and rear tub have also been replaced, as well as the engine...its a frankenstein. There is also a layer of Military green and bright neon green under there on different parts, though I have no way of knowing if it ever saw military service or not. The insulation sounds like the military type you mentioned behind all the pegboard. I tend to believe your input, having heard it, though. Thanks for the background!

It is currently stuck behind a trailer in the workshop, but I should be working on it again in a couple weeks...as soon as I get that trailer out from the front of it and have room to work.

More to come!

-Max
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Any updates?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Sadly, the SO's sister has had her damn travel trailer parked in front of me all summer long (with about 6" between us) so I have had no room to do any of the body work, sandblasting that I wanted to do while the weather has been nice. I'm extremely unhappy about that, but the house was inherited between them, so not much I can do about it, she gets to park there. Not sure how Im going to resolve this, but it seems my only alternative is to build the ***** a shed or carport to put the trailer under. I offered to buy a top o the line cover for her, but that wasn't good enough.

In the mean time, I have completed the total removal of the following items:

• the interior panels, insulation
• enough wiring to connect to the original owner in Canada and explain the basic principles of safe electrical wiring
• overhead console in the cabin with all the switch relays/lights/radio/CB/DVD/Back up camera/10"screen/PC components/remote control joystick
• 3/4" particle board interior cabinets and drawer assemblies/refrigerator/PC (it had a beat up old PC in the back!)
• the swamp cooler (which...confuses me still considering it came from Canada, where a swamp cooler would make as much sense as a monkey f***ing a football)
• the 10 additional roof lights (Yes, 10 of them, none working)
• the main roof rack and mounts, front roof rack brace and remote spotlight & housing.
• heavy folding bench seat with 1.5" square steel tubing frame
• the camping bed and frame
• engine cover console with rotting wooden boxes and stinky rubber placemats

Most of the above was broken, rotting, no longer functioning or wired in such a way that I could not figure it out. I am now down to only the basic wiring needed for legal operation and the 2 extra batteries and the inverter, which I left in place, since they all worked fine. Honestly, how this thing had not already died in a fire is beyond me. You just would...not believe the pile of wiring I took out of there. It took (4) full trips with the large recycling bin so far, and I still have a pile of it filling up one side of the shed. No diagram could save it, it was just better to identify the wires I needed and cut the rest out with snips.

All in all, I have stripped about 800-1000 lbs. of gear off of the poor volvo. She goes like the wind now, and I get better mileage, thats how much crap was on/in there. If i had to venture a guess, I can get another 40 or 50lbs. of brushed-on paint layers off of it when the time comes.

I have purchased or added already:

• new front seats with re-purposed, welded brackets from the old set
• new LED headlights
• new rubber cushioned mats for driver and passenger sides
• relays to replace dead ones in the dash panels
• new belts

Electronics (not installed yet):

• 7" rear view LED screen with IR/daylight camera
• 10" rubberized Toshiba android touch tablet (tegra 2 chipset) for the dash
• 120w marine radio/cd/mp3 deck with tablet and mem. stick inputs
• JL Audio 300/4 amp
• JL Audio 500/1 sub amp
• JL Audio W7 sub box
• (2) MBQuartz QS216 3 way component speaker sets with dual crossovers

I am very eager to begin the bodywork on it, now that shes ready, but its looking like it wont be happening this summer, which means next summer, since the weather here will stop any plans I have for taking it apart, unless I find a real shop with walls to do it in. I do not want to risk naked metal body panels laying around for months during the wet season here. I think my next steps will be to do a carb adjustment and to replace the mechanical fan assembly/shaft with a dual electrical setup (I hate the noisy squeek that thing makes).

In the mean time, I have been enjoying the occasional foray into town to scare the villagers and am planning a trip next weekend to the Good Guys car show in Tacoma. It runs fine, starts fine, stops fine....I even got the doors off and took it offroad a bit and got my first inkling of what this thing is capable of (no mud though).

I am more in love now than ever....she has a good home now and will live on better than before.
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Post by roobar_and_custard »

Why don't you build yourself a garage so you can work over winter? Then the trailer can go where your truck is. :idea:
You know it makes sense...