Length of OEM limit straps?

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
Twin Pinzies

Length of OEM limit straps?

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I was sick of blowing through stock limit straps ($159 each) years ago so I converted to custom made nylon versions ($34 each). I'm having some new custom length nylon straps made (from OK Offroad) to replace the current worn out ones.
*Nylon limit straps need to be made slightly shorter to allow for the stretch that occurs during break-in.

My question is what is the perfect length? Here are some of my measurements:

The length of the axle drop (with the strut and limit strap removed) = 19.25"
The length of the fully extended Rancho strut (made for the Pinzgauer) = 21.25"
The same distance when sitting on the ground under it's own (empty) weight = 17.25"

Am I right to assume that the 17.5" nylon limit straps that I'm currently running are still the best way to go? It seems really odd that the Pinz is designed to have almost NO axle extension! ?
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Length of OEM limit straps?

Post by 4x4Pinz »

we have been running 18" limit straps for several years on a number of our trucks. Not one failure with the nylon strap and no ill effects in the suspension systems have been noted. When the straps hit the max limit it seems much softer then the original straps. We just run two at each location with a spacer. The 18" strap is a stock length so is more cost effective then custom lengths. A new original strap measures real close to 18.25"
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Any photos of your set up with them installed? I had thought about the nylon straps years ago but never followed through as my OEM straps
are just fine.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Thanks 4x4Pinz, You just reaffirmed my suspicion that the 18" nylons are the way to go.

I am also running dual nylons all the way around too.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Here is a pic of the limit straps installed, yes they are dirty I do use my truck once in a while :wink:
Attachments
0728131515 (Small).jpg
0728131515 (Small).jpg (60.07 KiB) Viewed 6896 times
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

At what point do they need to be replaced? I have noticed that one or two strands are frayed on one strap, but nothing to serious.

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

4x4pinz.. what brand are you using?
Tim
1975 710K
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Have had these straps on for a few years now. Mark's old 712 has had them on at least a year longer then mine and while his truck did not see as much trail time the straps look great. the tires (285 16 75r on widened rims) rub them when at full suspension compression and making hard turns. The reason I chose to run two was in the event one broke I would still have time to get it replaced without concern for suspension damage. When the single originals would fail I would take the truck off the trail to prevent any damage to the running gear.
the ones I have on my 712 (in photo) are from SDHQ but they are similar to the ones available at most quality offroad centers. All the rock buggies use them to limit their travel.
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Mike,
can you share information about the spacers and perhaps where to obtain them? Do I need longer bolts? I have the straps and it's time to install them.

thanks,
Michael
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I used 3/4 black pipe, being a plumber has its advantages, cut to length to fit between the two straps. I used the original bolts. The strap brackets are only about 1/4' and the original straps are about 1 1/2 inch so the difference had to be made up.
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Thanks Mike,
this helps.
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

I bought 4 nylon straps from OK Offroad about 3 years ago for the rear axle of my 712. Very pleased with them. The original straps on the centre axle went twang a couple of weeks ago whilst fording a river that had a hidden hole in the bed, which seemed to equal the depth of the Mariana Trench (?) :shock: I bought another 4 for that axle. Re-used the centre bushes after cutting to right length. The folks at OK Offroad were again really helpful and dispatched straps pronto. Highly recommended !!
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I have been running these same ones and have had no issues. I played with the heavier springs and have since replaced the front springs with stock. Still no issues with the straps. One rubbed a tire once somewhere along the trail and has a slight fraying mark from that contact but other then that they look like they did when they went in only a little dirtier now.