air compressor solution

All things not relating to the other forums.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: air compressor solution

Post by TechMOGogy »

waterdog wrote:$25 to refill 7 tires???!! :wink: or you still have some PSI??
He still has tons left - if he just fills tires it will last a couple years :mrgreen:
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

So this made me think about it, since I have a 20lb tank...

One pound of Co2 equals 8.7 cubic feet at standard pressure (~14psi). A typical offroad tire might have 1.5 cubic feet of space in it, at 14 psi you would be squeezing 3 cubic feet into it (since 14psi in the tire is double the normal atmospheric pressure), and 4.5 cubic feet at ~28 psi. So that means you can completely air up two good sized tires with 1lb of Co2; my 20 lb tank could do 40 tires. A ten pound tank should be able to do 20 tires from zero to 28psi (or add 28psi to whatever the tire was aired down to).

Interesting to know!
Jim M.
712W and 710M
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Ya, plenty of air left. For the number of runs I do where I need to air down and up again, it should last at least one season of wheelin.

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

Thats a pretty good solution compared to compressed air. Because the CO2 is in liquid form, you get the equivalent of about 160 cubic feet of air @ 2100 PSI with 20 lbs. of CO2. I think that adding 25 PSI to 40 tires is about the right #.
'76 710K
itsalljake
Norway

Post by itsalljake »

It's an old thread but the newest one I could find. The price of filling my 20lb CO2 tanks at work is closer to $30 these days. We use them all the time for welding and a plumbing freeze kit. I'm looking hard at an onboard compressor. I like the idea of a tank but when you run out, you run out. How is that a better solution than air available on tap whenever you need it? I agree that there's no ability to run air tools with such small capacity, but seriously? As a go to? A tank?
1972 710M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Seriously, letting a CO2 tank get that low is like waiting until your fuel tank get to empty before refueling in the middle of nowhere. And some of us do carry a compressor and a power tank. An air compressor usually doesn’t have the volume to re-seat a popped bead. Also, would you rather be under a truck on a hot, dirty trail for hours trying to break a bolt loose (that hadn't been off since new) , or use an impact and be done in few minutes ( and possibly not be working into the night). There are arguments for both ways, and a CO2 tank is worthless if you don't keep it operationally filled.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I carry both a power tank and onboard air compressor. It would be very easy for me to give up my power tank. The onboard compressor is used way more and with the pinz, space is very limited. Carrying air impact tools is just not practical unless you are a mobile mechanic and that is all you are doing.
One problem that keeps coming up with the power tank is the regulator freezing up. The power tank is best used when air is needed in short, high pressure situations. As Dave has mentioned, resetting a tire bead.
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Inhave a powertank and a small aligator clip style bagged off road compressor. I use the tank all the time. Its mounted behind my head on the troop side of the cage and locked. I air up bike tires, classic car tires, wheelborrow and charge my roadshower with it. $10 to $20 cash bill to fill depending on whos at the local shop. They do it while I wait when im running to grab lunch. Sometimes its half full others its almost empty. I have never run it out completely and will always own one.
itsalljake
Norway

Post by itsalljake »

Excellent. Thank you both for the recommendations. Barring the use of air tools (I am not usually going to be in the outback, far away from civilization) I still think an onboard compressor is the way to go for my needs. Any recommendations?
1972 710M
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

This is the one I have and transfer it between all vehicles in its carry bag:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Air-Compress ... pn=S/B2781

Smitty bilt. The also offer a 2.4 cfm model around $90 through 4wheelparts.com

I also bought one of these for the shop to run out to the parking lot from Oreillys:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0192
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

uh ho - we are going to start the 12v from 1 battery discussion now :wink:
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
itsalljake
Norway

Post by itsalljake »

TechMOGogy wrote:uh ho - we are going to start the 12v from 1 battery discussion now :wink:
I hope not. I do a fair amount of work with 120/240V. I also employ the use of a few 48V golf carts and utility vehicles. I don't understand why someone would jeopardize their electrical system or their batteries by avoiding a 24V to 12V converter?
Last edited by itsalljake on Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1972 710M
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Do I get extra points for having 2 converters and an equalizer?
itsalljake
Norway

Post by itsalljake »

Yes, yes you do. And a gold star.
1972 710M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I am using the Viair http://www.quadratec.com/products/92043_006_07.htm works really well and very durable. Have the 12v portable version for my "other" trucks.