Doetsch tech shocks

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
berger
Canada

Re: Doetsch tech shocks

Post by berger »

audiocontr wrote:damn, well guess i need to order a half dozen. they are on the way - we will see how they do!
They are worth it.

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Have been running the Doestch 8132's for a while now, lots of miles both highway and offroad. They seem to be holding up well to date, but then so did the Rancho 9000's until they finally failed. I am pleased overall with the 8132's so far. Looks like the best out there at the current time.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

....and at $63 each, good price too.

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
loyalp
United States of America

Post by loyalp »

I've been running them for a few years now on the 710 and it has definitely been one of the best Pinz purchases to-date.

Thanks again Scott!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Any particular reason nobody seems to be running King, Fox, Icon, Radflow or similar bypass shocks on their Pinz?
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Probably performance and price.

Here's a nice King bypass shock, for $595. Each, apparently. http://www.offroadshocks.com/product/PR ... MgodEngAfw

You're the only guy I know here who regularly writes of high-speed off-road runs. Perhaps for such uses, those shocks would provide an advantage. For the average user, and I probably fit within that description, we can equip our 712 with a full set of shocks, designed for the truck, for less than the cost of one of those other ones.

There was also a spate of broken rear shock bolts on 712s when running other shocks. I know this because I broke 2 when running NAPA gas charged shocks. The ride was nice, and the collapsed and extended dimensions exceeded the originals (in the correct directions), but they broke two bolts. Since installing Ranchos, no issues. Not sure what effect the bypass shocks you mentioned would have on this problem. But I'd guess part of why owners choose the shocks they do is because they do not break shock bolts.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I agree with undysworld (broken bolts and its been done with Rancho and Doetsch shocks) but it is also good to sometimes question why something is the way it is - not just this shock question.
I find in the 'older' vehicle world that certain things get done a few times and then that becomes 'the way' it should be done (and ultimately it is good reason - like it works so why question it).
One example I thought about yesterday was E track.
Someone added it to the back of a truck for seatbelts and now that seems to be 'the way' to add seatbelts to the back of a Pinz. Now there is nothing wrong with it and it obviously works but there are many other ways, like airplane track or just bolting them in. E track is really not that strong unless all the bolt holes are able to take load.
I think sometimes it is good to question how things are done and at least investigate other options - we would never learn anything new if someone didn't question and experiment.
Dan

Edit: I know of a 710M that used Bilstein 5125 series Medium valve shocks for the past few years.
7809320902_85bddecb02_k.jpg
7809320902_85bddecb02_k.jpg (101.14 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I got old school Rancho 9000s on the Warn Pinz. A few weekends ago we could feel the shocks fading while doing our little high speed stuff. I don't know anything about the rear shock bolts breaking so will just take your word for it.

As far as performance, a bypass will always be best for that regardless of use. They are tunable by the way and rebuildable. Do most people need them, doubt that. But most people also don't need a Pinz as a toy. :)

Here is some less priced King's and the shock you linked is a high performance triple bypass that would never fit under a Pinz plus it is a 16" travel shock. For what it is, it is a good price!

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Kin ... 30180.html

and a non-bypass

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Kin ... 30178.html

I have no idea if these would fit on a Pinz. More than anything I was just curious. I have ran Icons and Ballistic bypass shocks before and also used Bilstien non-bypass on different trucks and was happy with all of them. In the past I have always flexed a truck up with no shocks, taken measurements and then went shock shopping. So far this method has not failed me and I simply hate the low end shocks that come with lift kits and so forth. In fact I have found a lot of these shocks included in lift kits to be the wrong lengths! On a Pinz, I suppose most of this does not apply! :lol:

I am sure there are others who like to go fast in the dirt in their Pinz, they probably just are not talking about it much. Not sure how you couldn't enjoy it, the trucks handle very well and IMHO excel in this type of driving. Plus that old school factory video shows the trucks being used just this way as well as in deep water, mud, ect ect ect.

Cheers
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Nomad,

I'd guess that if you were attempting to market a cross-country vehicle to a military buyer, you might find it advantageous to show how a brand-new vehicle is capable of performing under the most extreme conditions, and you might even do that at the risk of breaking the truck. Certainly they could afford to fix it if it broke. But whether that sort of operation is prudent in a 40-year old vehicle is another question to be determined by the current owner (and financial backer of repairs).

Damn few of the Pinz owners I know are interested in flogging their trucks like that video shows or as you describe. I've driven mine to Colorado and back, and made the trip up Holy Cross, so I think I've pushed my truck a bit here and there. Perhaps half of my miles are off-road. Personally, I've never felt that I've reached the limits of my shocks, but then I don't try to drive 50mph off-road.

If I'm not mistaken, the operating manual indicates that the transfer gear shift lever should be placed in the LOW position for off-road operation, which would indicate that even Steyr intended that slower speeds be observed off-road. I can't even achieve 50mph in low range.

You questioned why we don't run the spendy bypass shocks. Even the cheapest of the shocks you linked to was $290 each, nearly 5 times more expensive than the Doetsch, and that's IF they even make a shock that fits a Pinz.

Since this thread was originally about Doetsch shocks, and since this discussion seems to have drifted into theoretical alternatives, maybe it's time to un-hijack it back to Doetsch.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Fair enough....
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

Hi, My name is Andre and I abused my truck most of the 8 years I owned it.(all chime in "Hi Andre")
Last edited by Andre on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

bunny hopping(and catching air) through the whoops in Baja at 80kph+ and broke 2 limiting straps.
Mud bogging In Mount Santa Rosa.(see pic in upper left occasionally) spent 3 hrs washing out everything.
Deep snow drift driving in Big Bear. Removed the reverse key so I could go from 1st to Reverse without interruption.
Ocean surf driving (Baja again) got salt water contamination in 1 hub assembly.
Rock crawling in Johnson Valley, Ocotillo Wells, Big Bear, etc...
plus driving to all locations on the hi-way at 65mph (100kph+)
Rolled it off a cliff in Big Bear. Up-righted it, drove it out of the canyon.(drove it home sans windshield)

I've done lots of body work
Ive replaced brake slaves, split boots, fuel, air and oil filters, and 1 limiting strap.
Ive adjusted brakes, valves and carburetors.
I even replaced one axle/hub assembly.

Moral of the story, Is what you do worth what you fix Later? It has been for me and I will continue to do so.
My .02

p.s. I loved my doetsch tech shocks.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

Breaking something is just a good excuse to build it better.
Tim
1975 710K
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Andre wrote:Hi, My name is Andre and I abused my truck most of the 8 years I owned it.(all chime in "Hi Andre")
Hi Andre :P
Attachments
11.JPG
11.JPG (178.89 KiB) Viewed 8381 times
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
berger
Canada

Doetsch tech shocks

Post by berger »

Hi Andre!

P.S.

See the shocks? :D

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol