Pinzi SSI

Engine troubles? Try here.
mopar
United States of America

Pinzi SSI

Post by mopar »

Saw this and was interested to hear what people know about it?

I don't have a gasser right now but it looked like a real good alternative to petronix with a bit reliability built in.

http://www.pinzssi.com/index.html

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Pinzi SSI

Post by TechMOGogy »

Interesting
Who is behind this?
Good to know a few people are developing new products for the Pinz
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hey, Andre (FatFab) just told me about this product recently, and IIRC, he has it on his truck and loves it. I'd done a search and hadn't found it. Hopefully he chimes in here about it.
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

I think it is Richard Federick based on a google phone search thats the best I could come up with and I saw Andre had put this on his facebook that is what had me interested in it.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb_7wyfBGY32zJH8rlKr7ig

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1987 718M Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Very interesting!

My willpower failed :oops: and I ordered one. :) Now I can't wait to try it.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

Paul
interested in hearing your opinion on it!!

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1987 718M Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Paul....please do some pics of the installation or better yet some movies...I am tempted to get one too...got to fight the urge!!! :mrgreen:
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Very interesting...!!

I have been sitting on the fence about installing a Petronix ignition, but was told that the stock setup is waterproof while the civilian one isn't... Any idea whether this would be more sensible to moisture (or flooding) than the stock ignition?
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
Warren

Post by Warren »

I would be interested in having multiple ignition curves 1 for petrol 1 lpg to make the most of slow burn characteristics of lpg more advance coming in earlier really brings lpg to life. I don't believe in multiple spark there is much research to show that there is no benefit after 1500 rpm and little or no benefit before when compared to a good strong spark which is easily achieved by good coil, leads, plugs, module, cap rotor etc. I am not big on points, performance and reliability are almost always improved with a GOOD reliable well built elec replacement, hall effect switch tech is ample for pinz and well proven in many makes.
Having said that, in aust we really dislike petronix I hope I don't upset anyone with this but the petronix units just are not liked by ignition experts here, they stock them but do not recommend them, they work well initially but are far less reliable than the option not mentioned in the product ad above- any ignition builder can build an ignition to fit your pinz out of a commonly found bosch dizzy body and shaft, points are removed and hall effect etc. fitted- powerful external module that can handle higher output coils fitted pretty much anywhere. These types of units in my opinion are as reliable as standard elec bosch ignitions from later years [85-95] and probably more reliable than jap units such as Nippon denso, hitachi and they are cheap at $250-$350 aust [prob cheaper in us due to huge racing scene]. We [in oz] consider the petronix to be a good unit for perhaps an older club permit type car where reliability is not as crucial and it is something most home mechanics can install easily. My pinz has run this type of ignition for more than 10 years with no problem never misses or backfires timing is stable, and I have fitted 4 that spring to mind, 2 ford 351 and 2 6 cyl Chrysler this was many years ago I am still friends with them and there has never been an ignition problem.
Providing that this product can stand up to the punishment of the pinz- vibrations, water etc. it sounds good however I wouldn't like to be the first to test first run products [especially electrical] whatever they are for there will often be bugs. Just my 2 cents worth.
KISS theory- keep it simple stupid is wise to keep in mind regarding the pinz. why complicate something built so simply when the designers of it intended for it to be a go anywhere fix anywhere vehicle.
cheers warren
ps. also I did not see warranty details anywhere, I would want 3 years min until product is proven
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
2xSubaru Brumby (Brat) ute
1993 Nissan GQ
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

was told that the stock setup is waterproof while the civilian one isn't...
Depends on your definition of waterproof -- the stock wires, plugs, and cap have rubber gasketed connections and will prevent water from getting in to the high voltage wires, but a good set of civi wires and boots (along with some silicone grease) are pretty dependable, too. In either case, the stock dizzy has vents in the bottom that will let water in and cause problems.

From my perspective, getting rid of the dizzy is the best waterproofing you can do.

In regards to this new SSI system, the improved ignition that can come from multiple sparks can make a world of difference in the stock engine performance. I was given a 1970's vintage CDI box from Jacobs Engineering and I installed it in my 710 (with civi wires and Pertronix in the dizzy), gapped the plugs at 0.060-0.070" (a huge gap) and got a very noticeable increase in low end torque, even over the civi Flamethrower coil system. Great spark is always noticeable over good spark, and the stock system really is a weak spark in comparison. I may decide to get this SSI system for my 710M (my 712W already has a distributorless ignition along with fuel injection system).
Jim M.
712W and 710M
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

$700 seems like a premium though. I'd have jumped on board immediately if the price was around $350.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I have one waiting to go on the truck(out at upholstery shop for new canvas)

When I spoke with Rick, I expressed my concerns and they all were met.

His cost to have the kit done doesn't leave much meat on the bone for him at his asking price. ( I saw the reciepts)

I had a similar ignition system on my ford ranger and it was bullet proof.

The gentleman who developed the system with him has experience with early Harley Davidsons.( another weather exposed, air cooled, vibration nightmare).

There is also an installation video on his website from what I've been told.

On a more personal note. I've known Rick over ten years and he is a CAR GUY by all definitions of the name. He only does whats right for a vehicle and he's always been that way. He wouldn't consider putting anything out to the public that wasn't right.

He also got petronix to make him a set up for haflingers. Ask him about them.

I will be reporting on his system once I get it on my personal rig.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Could it be Power Arc based? They elude to that in the timing graphic (EDIT: It was just changed from PowerArc to PinzSSI! :D )

Looks like the VW kit they sell and I mentioned sometime ago. http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... =power+arc

http://www.powerarc.com/products.htm

I called PA, but setting up a kit with my abilities was not going to happen. Glad to see someone did. I would be interested after a few more tests.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Is there a difference in the spark plug wires? I already have aftermarket plugs and wires. Would I still need them with the kit?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

audiocontr wrote:Is there a difference in the spark plug wires? I already have aftermarket plugs and wires. Would I still need them with the kit?
Like the wires used on the PA setup for a Ural, they require carbon core wires.

http://www.powerarc.com/sparkplug.htm
Spark Plug Wires

Choice of spark plug wires is an important consideration when using an electronic ignition system. Electronic ignitions utilize IC's (integrated circuits) in there design for counting & timing purposes. These IC's, contrary to most thinking, are not effected by RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) noise generated by the high voltage breakdown of coils, producing the ignition spark. They are effected by the conducted EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) passed to the ground plane and adjacent wires of the motorcycle via the spark plug wires & plug. The most effective way to limit the current produced in the secondary of the coil is to use carbon core resistor plug wires. Solid core wires and many spiral wound wires will not suppress this conducted EMI noise. Use only Power Arc approved spiral core wires and never use solid core wires.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol